Free Money

Do not bet on the above.

It is 100% obvious that is a palpable error, and not an arb.

Either your bet will be refunded, or will be settled at the true odds.

You need to understand the basic terminology and industry before advising stuff like that.

The earlier example on Berwick v Rangers was a case of two companies taking a slightly different position from one another, one company thought there was an odds against chance of both teams scoring, another company thought the other way round.

The example you quoted is an obvious administrative mistake at Ladbrokes, they can and will void bets placed when the price was listed incorrectly, or more likely settle them at what the price was meant to display. First half over 0.5 is obviously meant to be 2/5, anyone with any market knowledge can see that, a quick look on oddscheker will confirm.

Edited by mid-table

Do not bet on the above.

It is 100% obvious that is a palpable error, and not an arb.

Either your bet will be refunded, or will be settled at the true odds.

You need to understand the basic terminology and industry before advising stuff like that.

The earlier example on Berwick v Rangers was a case of two companies taking a slightly different position from one another, one company thought there was an odds against chance of both teams scoring, another company thought the other way round.

The example you quoted is an obvious administrative mistake at Ladbrokes, they can and will void bets placed when the price was listed incorrectly, or more likely settle them at what the price was meant to display. First half over 0.5 is obviously meant to be 2/5, anyone with any market knowledge can see that, a quick look on oddscheker will confirm.

Obviously it's an error I know that, but I haven't come across this too many times so didn't know if they'd have to pay out at the odds I took them at since it's their error. It's fixed odds after all.

Obviously it's an error I know that, but I haven't come across this too many times so didn't know if they'd have to pay out at the odds I took them at since it's their error. It's fixed odds after all.

It's actually not fixed odds, it's individual odds, however that's another story*.

Don't give betting advice if, as you say yourself above, you don't know. The stuff that people have been posting on here are not errors, they are opportunities due to the difference in opinion between the market makers of different betting companies.

Sorry if this is harsh, but stupid posts like yours could have cost people significant money if they had taken your advice. I would argue that they deserve it for following incorrect advice blindly.

* it's been b*****dised over the last 10 years, but the odds we see are not fixed odds, their proper name is individual odds.

Fixed odds were popular before betting shops were licenced in 1961, and the majority of betting was done by post. There would be grouped lists of matches, and for example if you chose to select 8 homes from the homes group one week, you would be paid 24/1. It didn't matter which 8 out of the available matches you picked, you would always get 24/1 i.e. the odds were fixed regardless of which matches you picked.

Individual odds are what we see today, each match has it's own odds and the overall odds are unique for each bet by multiplying the odds of each component together i.e. the odds are individual to each match.

If Sony has a £99 sticker on a brand new 54" 3D television, do you think they have to sell it for £99? They do not, they might well sell it to you for a gesture of good will at that price, but they certainly are not legally obliged to sell the TV for £99.

Likewise in the betting market, they do not have to honour any bets that are errors. It will state in their terms and conditions that palpable errors will see bets voided as mid-table has suggested. Basically online betting and putting the prices on the system, is done by someone manually. There will always be human error (or printing error), and companies that are selling TVs or taking your bets will always account for this.

interesting discussion. I have read about this stuff before but i'm am intereseted in how the bookies can get away with settling bets at new odds after a palpable error is made, when previously a punter entered into a contract based on advertised odds. Its an absolute joke of a rule that they can get away with it.

the punter cant change his mind about the odds

interesting discussion. I have read about this stuff before but i'm am intereseted in how the bookies can get away with settling bets at new odds after a palpable error is made, when previously a punter entered into a contract based on advertised odds. Its an absolute joke of a rule that they can get away with it.

the punter cant change his mind about the odds

as far as I'm aware the bookie has to give a full refund unless they are going to payout as a goodwill gesture which actually has happened, about 3 weeks ago a similair thing happened on the Paddy Power website live betting where it failed to pick up that Dundee had scored against their opponents and were still offering 6/5 for them to score a goal, i stuck 20 quid on it thinking they would pick up on it but thought what the hell see how it goes, when they realised their error at half time they still paid out the winnings, possibly they wouldn't have done if it had been a large amount but I'm sure I wasn't the only one who picked up on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BIG arb opportunity here: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/scottish/division-3/rangers-v-stirling-albion/both-teams-to-score

Yes: 2.25

No: 2.00right, I am clueless at this but what does that mean? how much would you have to bet in order to make a tidy profit?

Well 100 on each bet would see you either £25 profit or level if both teams never scored. Preferably you would want to slap £1000 on each to have the potential of a free £250 winning.

• 2 weeks later...

If a bookie has made a mistake and claims palpable error the can void the bet at anytime. Although some bookies change the odds and give you the new price. Not a fan of that practice.