NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Sebastian Janikowski released after 17 years in Oakland. Jon Gruden didn’t want him back in 2000 but Al Davis drafted him anyway. Funny how these things work out.

Great servant for the Raiders. Think he’s still got a couple of years left, and there are plenty of teams that could do with a kicker upgrade.

Sebastian Janikowski released after 17 years in Oakland. Jon Gruden didn’t want him back in 2000 but Al Davis drafted him anyway. Funny how these things work out.
Great servant for the Raiders. Think he’s still got a couple of years left, and there are plenty of teams that could do with a kicker upgrade.

The only kicker ever to be drafted in the first round from memory. I thought he was older than 39. Probably still got a couple of years in him as you say.

1 hour ago, placidcasual said:

The only kicker ever to be drafted in the first round from memory. I thought he was older than 39. Probably still got a couple of years in him as you say.

There have been 3 overall, and Janikowski was actually drafted the latest of all of them, but I think he’s the only one in the modern draft system. The other 2 were in the 60s/70s.

Still not the brightest pick, but I guess you could argue that getting 17 years of play from anyone (even a kicker) is worthy of an early round selection.

10 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Someone is going to sign AJ McCarron and set their franchise back another 3 years. Hope it’s not  the Jets.

Doubt it, he'll just be the Mike Glennon type of this year, someone will sign him as the "starter" but replace him with a high draft pick.

I heard a theory that the 49ers signing Garapollo will ensure that the Browns sign Kirk Cousins.  Jimmy G was paid so much that the only team who will be able to afford Cousins is the Browns, who have $100m cap space.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I heard a theory that the 49ers signing Garapollo will ensure that the Browns sign Kirk Cousins.  Jimmy G was paid so much that the only team who will be able to afford Cousins is the Browns, who have $100m cap space.

The cap really isn’t that big an issue in NFL. There are always ways to make cuts or restructure contracts due to the nature of guaranteed money/signing bonuses. It will definitely exclude teams close to the salary cap limit, but I’m sure the Jets (amongst others) have plenty of cap space.

NBA and MLB contracts are 100% guaranteed so there is very little flexibility and often contracts need to be traded away along with first round picks just to get them off the books. There are no Luol Deng’s in the NFL.

Edited by GingerSaint

1 minute ago, GingerSaint said:

The cap really isn’t that big an issue in NFL. There are always ways to make cuts or restructure contracts due to the nature of guaranteed money/signing bonuses. It will definitely exclude teams close to the salary cap limit, but I’m sure the Jets (amongst others) have plenty of cap space.

NBA and MLB contracts are 100% guaranteed so there is very little flexibility and often contracts need to be traded away along with first round picks just to get them off the books. There are no Luol Deng’s in the NFL.

Yeah, there is flexibility.  The bets are now on him going to the Jets.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I am more likely to be the next Browns QB than Kirk Cousins.  It will be either the Jets (if Skins tag) or Broncos if he goes full unrestricted Free Agent.

P.S. f**k you Bruce Allan