House of Cards

crisp_packet

Is it just me or am I missing something here? I LOVED the UK series (and its two not quite so good sequels), but this is a poor imitation. Not enough of the talking to the camera, Stamper's not half the man he was originally and his wife just isn't evil enough. Yes, there are some good bits, but the entire thing has been stretched out so long that you get entire episodes where all he seems to be doing is catching up on his paperwork.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or am I missing something here? I LOVED the UK series (and its two not quite so good sequels), but this is a poor imitation. Not enough of the talking to the camera, Stamper's not half the man he was originally and his wife just isn't evil enough. Yes, there are some good bits, but the entire thing has been stretched out so long that you get entire episodes where all he seems to be doing is catching up on his paperwork.

I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the original, but it was ok taken on its own merits.

• 4 months later...

Looking forward to this. Interested to see how low Francis will go after his murder.

Did anyone watch the UK one? If so did the first season of the US version cover the full UK series?

Saw the trailer for it before the Wolf of Wall Street on Wednesday.

Fucking moist.

ive been off work since friday morning no well and ive done half of season 1 in the time that ive not been asleep cause of my being ill lol

gonna do the rest of the series pretty sharp so im up to date before season 2 starts

Looking forward to this. Interested to see how low Francis will go after his murder.

Did anyone watch the UK one? If so did the first season of the US version cover the full UK series?

Not really. Obviously there are differences between the US and the UK one, and I don't want to mention things that happen in the UK one that might spoil it for you, but I believe that quite a bit of stuff that happened in the UK House of Cards that has yet to happen in the US one (despite it running for around 11 hours and the British one only for four hours). And the UK one has 2 more series to go (To Play the King and The Final Cut).

Don't read this if you've not seen the UK one...

Yet to happen in the US one is FU ousting the current President and taking that role himself (if that does indeed happen) and of course him murdering the journalist to keep her schtum. And later on, of course, killing Stamper to stop him sending a taped confession to the media, but that takes place in the 2nd UK one.

Not sure how they could implement To Play the King in the US, unless Prince Charles is replaced by God.

What the utter....I bet you also watched The Phantom Menace but never bothered with A New Hope.

Yes and I loved the Colin Farrell Total Recall, someone said that was a remake, is that right?...

Just because I haven't seen the original doesn't mean anything, just that I missed the original series the first time round and didn't realise it was a remake until I started reading more about the show

Interestingly, I read the books and the TV series doesn't follow them at the end...

Aye, the books were written by a Tory MP...

and he refused to have anything to do with the final series after they portrayed the funeral of Thatcher when she was still very much alive.

I was thinking more that

Aye, the books were written by a Tory MP...

and he refused to have anything to do with the final series after they portrayed the funeral of Thatcher when she was still very much alive.

I was thinking more that

in each book, Urquhart "lost". Didn't become PM, the King beat him...so the books don't really follow each other

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the first episode of the second season today. Good start to the new series I thought.

The biggest disappointment from the first series was the fact that Zoe Barnes wasn't killed. I had thought they may persist with her and save her from Mattie's fate, I let out a slight cheer when Zoe was murdered.

Archived