House of Cards

crisp_packet

Anyone started watching House of Cards on netflix? It stars Kevin Spacey as a ruthless politician, and unlike most TV shows, Netflix have released all 13 episodes of the first season at once, so you don't need to wait week after week for each episode. Think this could be the future of TV?

So far, I'm two episodes in and really enjoying it. Spacey is great, and especially like the parts where he speaks to the audience.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. Spacey is great, and especially like the parts where he speaks to the audience.

Wonder where they got that idea from?

news-graphics-2007-_443858a.jpg

With Arrested Development broadcasting their 4th series exclusively on Netflix and rumours of How To Make It In America considering going down that route I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more following suit. I agree, I think it could well be the future of TV or at least a strong rival to cable

Yip only a matter of time before these just become other mainstream channels to watch TV on.

Amazon have recently purchased a whole bunch of original programmes and ordered them to pilots which I assume will go on lovefilm.

Google also keep faffing about with original programmes and I'm sure I read somewhere recently about a premium youtube channel or something. I assume eventually they will also become a big player in original TV programming

I wish Netflix would add more decent films instead, it seems like months between releases and they are usually shite.

Harsh, the new releases are few and far between for the good ones but theres tonnes of great films that are a bit older.

• 1 month later...
Is it gonna be on telly?

Won't be on tv as netflix produced it and are selling it globally. £5.99 subscription and you can watch the lot in a day week or month.

Just saw they're giving a free trial on mobile devices so thats an even cheaper option.

Alternatively just download the series fae the usual places like me.

Well worth watching. Season 2 will be out later this year.

Is it worth watching? I enjoyed the original, sort of worried that watching the American version just seem bizarre in comparison.

I'd give it a bash. Wisely they haven't gone for a straight re-make, and it's maybe different enough that any affection you hold for the original wont lessen your enjoyment of this one too much. That being said, great though Kevin Spacey is, I did feel he suffered a wee bit by comparison to the just sublime Ian Richardson. The latter really was a performance for the ages mind you.

On the whole I really enjoyed it, albeit it's maybe a little overlong.

Watched a few episodes, enjoying it so far. Spacey is good, but he definitely isn't as compelling as Ian Richardson, Underwood's character doesn't seem as charming, or as beliviably loyal as Urquhart, who's whole gravitas came from being utterly imoral and self-serving whilst coming across as upright, humble and moral.

All in all enjoying it thus far, definitely a bit slow going, but I don't think it suffers from that. It is different enough from the BBC version that it isn't ruining the original.

Really dislike Zoe Barnes though. Just find her annoying, Mattie was definitely a better character.

Also noticed Netflix have the BBC version as well, will definitely be rewatching that once I've finished with this series.

• 2 months later...

Just finished episode eleven. Fair to say Francis Underwood is a brilliantly evil b*****d. Very good series methinks. Wasn't sure after first episode but once it gets moving it's very clever stuff.

• 3 months later...

Archived