Mogwai fans - gies some help

Jimmy85

Other than the cold (not as hardy as I was in my youth) and the annoying chatter and constant wandering about by the numerous hipsters in my immediate vicinity (I assume they were in for free, else why spend 25 quid on a ticket and not pay any attention to the performance), I thought the performance was excellent. At various points the music (and not the cool breeze blowing along the Clyde) gave me chills and I was much more engaged by the documentary film than I ever had been watching it at home.

On favourite Mogwai albums, "Ten Rapid" is mine ... especially since it features "New Paths to Helicon pt 1" which made an appearance during the encore the other night.

I couldn't believe this either - we were on one of the benches right in front of this couple who talked throughout and barely even looked at the screen - madness.

Ten Rapid is all the more incredible as it's not an "album" per se, but a collection of songs that hangs together brilliantly - and was made by the group when they were in their early 20's. Great choice.

Just noticed your sig / avatar. On a slightly related note, I saw Mogwai perform an unannounced support slot (1st time I ever saw them live) for GSYBE (1st time I ever heard their music) at G2 in the late 90s. Pretty special evening all round.

b*****d. :P

Anyone any idea what sort of set should expected at the Doogie Paul Memorial Concert?

Difficult to say, I just hope the crowd are into it. Been to a few of these memorial/charity type gigs before and you always get a cross-section of fans who just don't seem that interested in the music

Just noticed your sig / avatar.  On a slightly related note, I saw Mogwai perform an unannounced support slot (1st time I ever saw them live) for GSYBE (1st time I ever heard their music) at G2 in the late 90s.  Pretty special evening all round.

I saw Godspeed at the barras on first lap of comeback tour and they were utterly disappointing. Pretty sloppy as well. On record though they are utterly immense.

I think it was just me. Everyone around me was describing the gig as life changing and I left in a grump thinking everyone else were morons. Heard the gig at arches was better though.

I saw Godspeed at the barras on first lap of comeback tour and they were utterly disappointing. Pretty sloppy as well. On record though they are utterly immense.

My first GSYBE gig was pretty much exclusively tracks from "F♯ A♯ ∞"' and I had absolutely no idea what to expect having not heard anything by them beforehand. What I did hear blew me away.

Not on any album but My Father My King is crushing and stupidly good. Seen them four times and they vary in quality when live. Best time was in Paisley. Loudest was at Tramway for Triptych. That show was fucking heavy.

Stunning track, unbelievable live all 20 minutes or so!

Anyway, Jimmy, CODA, that is all you really need. Everything about that album is brilliant from the cover, to where they got the name to the addition of the wind up phone call to Stewart's dad about Stewart going mental and running away.

• 2 months later...

What else have you got for me in the 'post rock' kind of genre? I'm in the process of gathering stuff by This Will Destroy You (who are fucking incredible btw), Mono, Explosions in the Sky and Russian Circles. Anyone else I should be looking out for?

Edited by Jimmy85

What else have you got for me in the 'post rock' kind of genre? I'm in the process of gathering stuff by This Will Destroy You (who are fucking incredible btw), Mono, Explosions in the Sky and Russian Circles. Anyone else I should be looking out for?

All of the above bands are fantastic.

Throwing in some Pelican, God is an Astronaut, Maybeshewill, And So I Watch you from Afar and GYBE will have you well sorted

Spiderland by Slint is an essential listen.

I think Caspian is the best band around atm, just incredible. Other bands worth a listen would be Jakob, Red Sparowes, If These Trees Could Talk, God Is An Astronaut and sleepmakeswaves.

Just noticed Consolidate also suggested GIAA. Definitely worth a shot.

Edited by Tam Servo

All of the above bands are fantastic.

Throwing in some Pelican, God is an Astronaut, Maybeshewill, And So I Watch you from Afar and GYBE will have you well sorted

I think Caspian is the best band around atm, just incredible. Other bands worth a listen would be Jakob, Red Sparowes, If These Trees Could Talk, God Is An Astronaut and sleepmakeswaves.

Just noticed Consolidate also suggested GIAA. Definitely worth a shot.

I approve of these posts.

I'll add a couple of bands: The Allstar Project and canyonsofstatic.