PS4 or Xbox

Ludo*1

387 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a rumor going around that the PS4 will have anti pre owned software that effectively links a disc permanently to your account. If that turns out to be true and xbox decides to ignore this software then I can see this argument being greatly one sided.

But considering How bad the playstation 3's backwards compatibility was in this country at release and considering how many games I have for my xbox, there's no chance I will get a PS4 at release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a rumor going around that the PS4 will have anti pre owned software that effectively links a disc permanently to your account. If that turns out to be true and xbox decides to ignore this software then I can see this argument being greatly one sided.

But considering How bad the playstation 3's backwards compatibility was in this country at release and considering how many games I have for my xbox, there's no chance I will get a PS4 at release.

Looks like it's Xbox that's going forward with this. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a456825/new-xbox-requires-constant-connection-blocks-second-hand-games.html

Xbox to always require an internet connection aswell, can't see that going down well.

In fairness, I can't imagine too many people play any games console but don't have an internet connection in this day and age.

Perhaps a bit too hopeful, but if it's really a requirement then could Xbox Live become a free service?

In fairness, I can't imagine too many people play any games console but don't have an internet connection in this day and age.

Perhaps a bit too hopeful, but if it's really a requirement then could Xbox Live become a free service?

I get what you mean, but what happens if through some unfortunate turn of events that the internet isn't available in your house for a time?

Happened to me before and it's a right pain in the arse.

There's no chance of Xbox live becoming free. There's also not much chance of the constant internet connection and one time actuivation thing too.

Exactly. There is still a sizeable number of people who don't have access to the internet. They would be cutting a portion of their market if they were to make it online-only.

It's not that, it's nice to have the option of being able to play the single player mode if your internet cuts out.

Can't see that or the one disc/one console things being included in either console, it would cost them more than they'd gain, IMO, even if a lot of people wouldn't be affected.

Can't see Xbox Live becoming free either.

I'm sure the PS2 was more of a factor, that and the fact SEGA couldn't compete with Sony financially.

Sony signed exclusivity deals with the likes of Tomb Raider which originally started on Saturn and gradually they fell out the race. Dreamcast was a good console but Sega by that time were haemorrhaging money and couldn't back it properly. There was rumours of a Dreamcast 2 but its fell off the radar now. They could never compete with the financial muscle of Sony and particularly MS.

Ill be buying both new Xbox's and Playstations, I just wish they were here now cos the currents machines have well and truly shot their bolt.

I've not read the thread through but I'm guessing it's a flame war. Suffice to say my first machine was a Spectrum 48k (the one with the rubber keys) and as I currently have both 360 and PS3 I've got no massive allegiance to either one.

That said I'd probably be more inclined toward xbox. However if the rumors are true that they won't play pre-owned games due to one off activation codes then it'll be time to upgrade the PC as consoles can GTF.

I've not read the thread through but I'm guessing it's a flame war. Suffice to say my first machine was a Spectrum 48k (the one with the rubber keys) and as I currently have both 360 and PS3 I've got no massive allegiance to either one.

That said I'd probably be more inclined toward xbox. However if the rumors are true that they won't play pre-owned games due to one off activation codes then it'll be time to upgrade the PC as consoles can GTF.

All signs are pointing to both Sony and MS locking out pre owned games. It won't be so bad if games fall into line with PC prices around the £25-£30 but ill bet they won't. They'll stay around the £40-£50 mark guaranteed.

We all know we'll still buy them.

Nope I doubt I will, I rarely game online so I won't really miss XBL or PSN. Most games are out on PC too, off the top of my head all I'd miss would be the new Halo games and the convenience of consoles.

Speccy, megadrive, SNES, PSX, N64, PS2, PS3, Gameboy, GBA, DS

Also done swaps with friends so had NES, Master System, Game gear, Commodore, Amiga, Wii for brief periods. Even knew someone who had a Lynx lol

Have never owned or had a loan of an xbox or Gamecube, but played them at other folks houses.

Had a PC since the days of the old apogee games like crystal and agent, also prince of persia and even pre 3D duke nukem lol. The best old game was hack, an ascii based RPG with a ridiculous amount of depth, still really playable today (think it's called winhack now)

Commodore 64 - Amiga 1200 - NES - Master System - Game Gear - SNES - Gameboy - PS1 - PS2 - PC - XBOX 360 - DS - 3DS

Microsoft would be making a serious mistake adding one time disc codes to stop preowned, and making constant net connection Manditory, cause lets face it, how many of us have had issues with the net or their phone line ones in a blue moon, or even while switching subscribers, there would be constant complaints about not being able to use their consoles. But seeing how much the xbox software is constantly trying to keep you on XBL i wouldnt be surprised.

I'll get the one that my mates get.

Why don't your mates get what you get?

Oh, and - Atari 2600, Atari ST, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, N64, PS1, PS2, Xbox 360.

(Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive and N64 in the loft in case I get a bout of Retrofever!)

Commodore 64 - Amiga 1200 - NES - Master System - Game Gear - SNES - Gameboy - PS1 - PS2 - PC - XBOX 360 - DS - 3DS

Microsoft would be making a serious mistake adding one time disc codes to stop preowned, and making constant net connection Manditory, cause lets face it, how many of us have had issues with the net or their phone line ones in a blue moon, or even while switching subscribers, there would be constant complaints about not being able to use their consoles. But seeing how much the xbox software is constantly trying to keep you on XBL i wouldnt be surprised.

Lets face it the software manufacturers would be delighted for MS to go down this route and tbh if it brings Xbox games down to PC levels ie no more than £30 for new releases it might turn out to be a good move for them. The always on connection I don't think will be true although i do think they want it to be like your PC in that everytime you turn it on your logging onto the Internet. I mean you don't turn on your computer, laptop or tablet without it logging on to the net do you so why would your console be different. We don't have long to wait anyway so we'll see what the plans are. Rumours are GTA5 could possibly be a launch title too. Serious...

Archived