General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

Just watched recording from couple of weeks ago of Goodwood revival presented by Indycar legend Dario Franchitti. Amazing to see veteran and current BTCC drivers giving their all in classic cars worth millions of pounds each with manual gears and the back ends stepping out at every corner........great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Audi pulling out of WEC and Le Mans. Huge blow for the series but they've achieved pretty much everything there is to do there - many times over.

Slightly surprised they are now putting their focus on Formula E rather than looking at a move to F1, but I suppose the manufacturers want to focus on electric stuff. Given how well they did when they switched to diesel and then the hybrids they could be quite handy once they get up to speed.

I do wonder if they were looking at F1 last year as was reported, but got cold feet after watching Honda.

the FE part is interesting, I think next year is the first year that teams / manufacturers can develop their own powertrain, I believe right now it's a standard power train throughout the grid. This should see the series move forward, teams like Jaguar, Audi and Renault won't want to be in that series to make up the numbers.

Am I allowed to say I quite like watching FE :unsure2:

• 3 months later...
So umm, apparently tonight's NASCAR pickup truck race (AMERICA!!!) was a crash fest.  Only going by my twitter feed mind you but Kaz Grala won and pretty much everyone else crashed

Looking at the NASCAR site 11 out of 32 drivers failed to finish due to accidents

So umm, apparently tonight's NASCAR pickup truck race (AMERICA!!!) was a crash fest.  Only going by my twitter feed mind you but Kaz Grala won and pretty much everyone else crashed

I was watching on Fox Sports. Bunch if daft boys and old men. Green flag flies and half the field hit each other and/or the wall.
We'll get a proper race tonight in the Xfinity series then of course the main event tomorrow. I've only been the once but it was the experience of a lifetime.

Just now, jimmy boo said:

Looking forward to Daytona for ages but apprehensive the new rule changes are going to turn it into a farce.

Did you see last nights Xfinity race?  Cautions galore, and add in what happened in the Truck race on Friday, we may be in for a long one tonight.

As for the new rule changes, they didn't really make any difference to the race last night but then there was no real long period of green racing which it could have affected so hard to tell (although WTF are NASCAR smoking in introducing those rules)

Did you see last nights Xfinity race?  Cautions galore, and add in what happened in the Truck race on Friday, we may be in for a long one tonight.
As for the new rule changes, they didn't really make any difference to the race last night but then there was no real long period of green racing which it could have affected so hard to tell (although WTF are NASCAR smoking in introducing those rules)

I had planned to watch it but my team actually won a game so was forced to spend the night in various licensed establishments. Saw some big wrecks on Nascar.com.
I wish they would stop changing the rules every season in an attempt to bring back the missing fans and viewers. Even the chase system does my head in.
Anyway....boogity boogity boogity....let's go racin. ...

If any of you lot have a spare hour at some point I'd highly recommend this 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08jqfqx/crash-and-burn

An absolutely fascinating watch; I don't even know what to think about Tommy after it. His lifestyle was clearly an issue, but top level motorsport is so elitist he did incredibly well to get as far as he did.

Genuinely one of the best motorsport documentaries I think I've seen.

5 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

An absolutely fascinating watch; I don't even know what to think about Tommy after it. His lifestyle was clearly an issue, but top level motorsport is so elitist he did incredibly well to get as far as he did.

That was worth a watch. You wonder how different things would've turned out if someone hadn't spun and taken him out when he was about to win Indy Lights.

19 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Great find! I've been waiting for that to appear on Amazon Prime or the like. Will need to watch that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/03/2017 at 00:19, jimmy boo said:

That was worth a watch. You wonder how different things would've turned out if someone hadn't spun and taken him out when he was about to win Indy Lights.

He probably would have found some other way to butcher his career.

That was a great watch, tremendous talent and yet such a waste. There's a book out called Crashed and Byrned: The Greatest Racing Driver You Never Saw.

There's also this on the Autosport forum http://forums.autosport.com/topic/74857-tommy-byrne-tnfer-award-winning-author/

Found this as well

Edited by CityDave

There another motorsport themed program on the BBC next Wednesday, broadcast in Northern Ireland but can be viewed via the BBC iPlayer no doubt.

Called "Road Riders" it follows the Irish Road Racing scene, should be a decent watch.  Trailer - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04zvr2y

Edited by Mackie The Staggie
wrong link