General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

Macau GP this weekend and forgot to post this earlier this week but there is life streaming on the FIA's website if you are up/still awake in the early morning.

There as a big crash in the GT World Cup qualifying race...the video should start at 1:45 but if not skip forward.

Ouch!!!
Is there a reason for the F3 race only being 15 laps?

Macau GP this weekend and forgot to post this earlier this week but there is life streaming on the FIA's website if you are up/still awake in the early morning.

There as a big crash in the GT World Cup qualifying race...the video should start at 1:45 but if not skip forward.

The exact same happened on lap 7/8 in race 1 off the WTC

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 19:49, HibeeJibee said:

Jim Clark Rally won't go ahead in 2015 as the investigation into the fatal accident at this year's rally hasn't been completed. This will be the first time since 1974 (with OPEC crisis and the three-day week) that the Rally won't be contested.

Disappointing, especially as the Report hadn't called for its cancellation, IIRC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-29952186

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 22:49, peasy23 said:

I'm sure all the report recommended was that the stewards had better training and there should be more control over where spectators stand. Certainly didn't mention that the event should be scrapped.

Bump.

Finally today - some 3.5yrs after the Jim Clark accident (longer for the Snowman accident) - the investigation has been completed and report published:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-42058034

Dunno if anyone listens to the Dinner With Racers podcast but the first part of the third series has just come out: www.dinnerwithracers.com

Two guys - one a sportscar racer in the US, the other a PR guy I think - go round America meeting with racing personalities and chatting to them over dinner. Mainly guys from Indycar, NASCAR and US sportscar racing. Drivers, mechanics, officials and everyone else.

Very entertaining at times and some of the guests they have in this series are ridiculous. Starts off with Dario and they also have Scott Dixon, Paul Tracy and Mario Andretti among others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 17:38, Stu said:

Dunno if anyone listens to the Dinner With Racers podcast but the first part of the third series has just come out: www.dinnerwithracers.com

Two guys - one a sportscar racer in the US, the other a PR guy I think - go round America meeting with racing personalities and chatting to them over dinner. Mainly guys from Indycar, NASCAR and US sportscar racing. Drivers, mechanics, officials and everyone else.

Very entertaining at times and some of the guests they have in this series are ridiculous. Starts off with Dario and they also have Scott Dixon, Paul Tracy and Mario Andretti among others.

Being working some overtime so being catching up on the podcasts.  Skipped pass the one with Scott Tucker.....because f**k Scott Tucker....but really good stuff.  

Would highly recommend Marshall Pruett's " Who The Hell Are You " series, in fact highly recommend Marshall Pruett's podcasts full stop.

• 5 weeks later...

Legendary driver, car builder, and team owner Dan Gurney has died at age 86.

He was an all around driving star in the 60's winning in F1, Indycars, NASCAR, and at Le Mans.  His Eagle chassis's went on to dominate Indycars in the 1970's winning numerous titles and Indy 500's and helping revolutionize aerodynamics.  He was also one of the last drivers to win in F1 in a car he built himself, winning the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix in one of the prettiest F1 cars ever built.

In the 1980's he moved on to building Sports Cars and came to dominate IMSA competition with Toyota before returining to CART in the late 90's but with limited success.

RIP Dan Gurney

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146728-dan-gurney-1931-2018

• 3 weeks later...

In news which for some reason some are calling an exclusive.....despite the fact that this has been an ongoing story for about 2 years. 

Alonso to participate in the WEC series with Toyota alongside the F1,  He'll miss the WEC race in Japan as it clashes with the F1 race in the USA.

Incidentally Toyota have fantastic luck in LeMans

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Haven't missed it for years. A bit naughty of Dillon at the end but I'm sure we'll see payback at some point.

I've not watched as much NASCAR as I would have liked over the past couple of years or so, but I was surprised to see not only that result stand (hell even in the BTCC that would be considered pushing it) but the aggressive blocking so early on.  A number of cars taken out early due to some suspect blocking which really wasn't necessary at such an early stage of the race I felt.

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I've not watched as much NASCAR as I would have liked over the past couple of years or so, but I was surprised to see not only that result stand (hell even in the BTCC that would be considered pushing it) but the aggressive blocking so early on.  A number of cars taken out early due to some suspect blocking which really wasn't necessary at such an early stage of the race I felt.

Exactly. 2 or 3 years ago, Nascar decided to take a step back on driver discipline and more or less told them to sort it out themselves on track. Since then blocking seems to have become the accepted norm  that you just don't get in any other series. The established drivers always complain now about the less experienced ones of being way too aggressive too early. Looking forward to seeing Almirola punt Dillon into the wall sometime soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to the first Indycar race of the season.  There is a lot of momentum in Indycar these days with new teams, a larger grid, and a new aero package that makes the cars look really sleek.  Plus there are 3 Canadians in the field, including former Formula Renault 3.5 Champ and DTM race winner Robert Wickens who got pole position for his first Indycar race

28 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Looking forward to the first Indycar race of the season.  There is a lot of momentum in Indycar these days with new teams, a larger grid, and a new aero package that makes the cars look really sleek.  Plus there are 3 Canadians in the field, including former Formula Renault 3.5 Champ and DTM race winner Robert Wickens who got pole position for his first Indycar race

Yeah, I've timed my dinner wrong so currently jumping between the kitchen and the living room at the moment, cars look a bit more lively this season.