General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

Got back last night, have to say I had an absolute blast once again.  Some of the local watering holes we frequent are starting to remember us as "those two Canadian guys", not sure if that's a good thing or not.  Great race (which is becoming a regular saying for the 500) once again, our section in the turn 1 area (SW Vista) went crazy when Sato won, pretty much everyone was happy for him because he's known to be a really nice guy and a hard charging driver.  Helio's reaction at the end just shows how much this race means to people, until you are actually there in person you can never truly appreciate how big, and how important this race is.  

Oh and Sato's pass with 22 laps to go (3 wide on the outside) on Helio and Ed Jones going into turn 1 was amazing.  

Off to the Isle of Man tomorrow for the TT, praying for the weather to improve as they have had no luck during practice week with practice again cancelled tonight.  Normally I try and write up a mini preview upon who I think will be the top riders but with little practice to base anything on it's all guess work. 

• Ian Hutchinson is likely to be the favorite for most of the races since he's running bikes already proven at the TT.  The circumstances are there for Hutchy to potentially win for all 5 again.
  • Michael Dunlop is always a threat and the general feeling is that he could win on almost anything (not a new Yamaha though).  He's riding the new Suzuki and you have to wonder if the lack of laps is going to be an issue.
  • Bruce Anstey simply a living legen in my view, so laid back nothing seems to affect him.  2nd year on the HondaRC213V (the Moto GP replica) and again with Clive Padgett's team, always a good bet for a podium, would need to go some to win.
  • Guy Martin is back, but on the new Honda Fireblade which has had the teething problems which may have resulted in McGuiness's crash in the NW200.  He had a poor NW200 also and seems off the pace at other road racing events, I think a top 10 would be quietly considered to be a success in the Honda team at the moment.
  • Dave Johnson in the Superbike and Senior races will be on a rather shiny (seriously, look for this one) Norton.  In last years Senior, he was running a potential 130+mph lap  before leaving the breaking at Sulby a bit late and falling into a ditch.  It's got the pace....
  • Peter Hickman needs a clean run and has the potential to podium, but then there's another 5/6 riders that you could name that fit that description though.
  • In the sidecars it again falls to between the Birchill brothers and the legend that is Dave Molyneux, too close to call

It's also good to hear that McGuiness has made it onto the Isle, he's had a tough last 2 weeks after his crash at the NW200, but seemed to be in decent spirits on the ITV4 program.

Just one last thought......

Please be dry, please be dry, please be dry, please be dry

Posted this on the movies thread......

McLaren..........8/10

Documentary about Bruce McLaren, racing driver from New Zealand, charting his racing career from the early days through to forming his own team bearing his name and his untimely early death while testing. Lots of archive footage and interviews with major players from back in the day which I found interesting as I didn't know much about his story. Probably more for motorsports fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone else caught the Carrera Cup Le Mans race on Eurosport this morning. If not I'd recommend finding somewhere to watch it back - sensational battling between Cammish, Zamparelli and Rovera right until the end.

Road to Le Mans race is on now, with Ecurie Ecosse represented in the LMP3 class. Hugely impressed by Eurosport's coverage. 

DCg2rLBXsAA2poJ.jpg

Well done to Toyota for yet again making a mess of Le Mans. And then Porsche for missing the open goal and having to embark on a mad pursuit in a bid to stop an LMP2 car winning the whole thing!

Well done to Toyota for yet again making a mess of Le Mans. And then Porsche for missing the open goal and having to embark on a mad pursuit in a bid to stop an LMP2 car winning the whole thing!

Number 2 Porsche rescues the situation. Pity, it would have been very funny if an LMP2 car had won the race.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anyone go to Ignition at the SECC last weekend? I went on the Sunday - was good until it started pouring down. Sadly, they had to cancel the second half of the F1 parade for the live bit I was watching. At least my tickets were free so I wasn't cheated.

Won tickets to the BTCC at Knockhill for Sunday and the forecast isn't a disaster so happy days :)

On 8/6/2017 at 16:19, jimmy boo said:

Pleased to see Daniel Suarez win a stage at Watkins Glen.

It is good, however this whole stage racing thing NASCAR is doing is complete shite.  The more they keep making stupid changes to NASCAR, the faster it's decline will go.  A lot of traditional fans are abandoning NASCAR because of all the contrived rules but the powers that be keep changing things anyways

It is good, however this whole stage racing thing NASCAR is doing is complete shite.  The more they keep making stupid changes to NASCAR, the faster it's decline will go.  A lot of traditional fans are abandoning NASCAR because of all the contrived rules but the powers that be keep changing things anyways

I was horrified when I heard their plans for the stages but I now think it's turned out OK. At least the leaders are battling like hell to win them instead of just sitting back and running around. We're used to unnecessary yellows for non existent 'debris' anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Macau GP this weekend and forgot to post this earlier this week but there is life streaming on the FIA's website if you are up/still awake in the early morning.

There as a big crash in the GT World Cup qualifying race...the video should start at 1:45 but if not skip forward.

There was also tragic news as well as Dan Hegarty crashed in the Motorbike race and lost his life.   I had meet him earlier this year in the TT Paddock and got chatting to him and his team for a few mins and stayed in touch with one of his pit crew.....pretty gutted at this tbh.