Krakow v Prague

Gaz FFC

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stayed in the old Jewish part of Krackow a few years ago - thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would highly recommend.

More here.

I did that, train oot was a bit scary.

XBL, Have you ever just finished up mainstream in a holiday resort? Is it always just that wee bit off the beaten track? I just booked for Croatia, near Dubrovnik, no doubt you can beat that with a weekend in a minefield in Afghanistan.

I did that, train oot was a bit scary.

XBL, Have you ever just finished up mainstream in a holiday resort? Is it always just that wee bit off the beaten track? I just booked for Croatia, near Dubrovnik, no doubt you can beat that with a weekend in a minefield in Afghanistan.

:lol:

I don't really do "holidays" very often, so the only time I've ever really been in a resort, I was actually freeloading and blagged a free room. Generally, I travel for work or I visit friends through Europe who I've met through work. It means I tend to avoid the "normal" holiday type stuff. Its not a deliberate thing, its just the way things always seem to end up. It leads to the best adventures though!

I've run from kidnappers in Prague, got in a fist fight in Barcelona, stayed in a squat in England, and lived in a Sri Lankan hut where I had to take a weapon to the bathroom because of all the -things- that kept crawling in through the missing roof. No minefields in Afghanistan though! :lol:

Well I squatted in Acton, crashed in many European shit holes. You seem to give the same thing an intellectual edge.

Not a dig. You would go out and discover the real......

I'd just go for a pint.

The best way to "discover the real..." is often to go for a pint. Things just seem to happen to me sometimes though, there's nothing intellectual about it! :lol:

Been to both on stag do's in recent years. Prague is by far the better city. Krakow was maybe better as a stag do destination tho as the boys organising it had arranged stuff like paint balling and "attack dogs" for the stag which was fucking hilarious, essentially involving a football pitch size of land and Alsatians and the stag.

Been to both on stag do's in recent years. Prague is by far the better city. Krakow was maybe better as a stag do destination tho as the boys organising it had arranged stuff like paint balling and "attack dogs" for the stag which was fucking hilarious, essentially involving a football pitch size of land and Alsatians and the stag.

How did the alsations get away?

Been to both, both cracking places. Prefer Krakow myself and Ive been a few times now, however as a stag doo Prague may be better.

Sorry to deviate but Im going to Budapest for a stag at the end of the month, anyone been? any recommendations?

The bottles of wine the strippers drink like water cost £80 each. You don't find this out until they bring you a bill for £600. Big Russian men make you pay :(

The bottles of wine the strippers drink like water cost £80 each. You don't find this out until they bring you a bill for £600. Big Russian men make you pay :(

Especially in the strip joints around the square with the hard rock cafe,do not go in any you will be ripped off (budapest)

Never been to Prague but Krakow is indeed a brilliant holiday. We went in October so maybe I'd say different if I'd experienced it in Summer whilst overrun with "lads".

Spoiler for long ass answer:

For accomodation, we stayed in an apartment on Paulinska, in the Jewish quarter. Really cheap, 5 mins from town, had a few balconies, a 24 hour drink shop on the street and plenty of beds. Ideal cool.gif

Wasn't there for long and don't feel I got to grips with where all the clubs etc were. There are millions of great wee underground pubs and bars dotted around the city. We just ambled through them and had a good time. For day stuff, Auschwitz is something everyone should see if you get the opportunity. Don't pay £80 from some company to get you there - you can get a frequently running train from the station (5 mins north of the square) for peanuts.

I'd also highly recommend taking in a football match. Cracovia and Wisla have closely situated stadiums in the West of the City. The football is atrocious but the atmosphere is incredible. There's all kind of security checks so get there early.

It's easy to avoid the trouble you hear about. There are are a few Latvian/Russian mob bars where you'll apparently pay for a beer with your organs but do your research and you'll avoid them. If some blonde stunner invites you for a drink and you look like Dean Gaffney, that shit aint legit. Basic stuff.

Sorry to deviate but Im going to Budapest for a stag at the end of the month, anyone been? any recommendations?

One of my favourite cities. Would love to go back. You'll have to consult google maps here but if you look up Astoria, Blaha Lujza, Oktagon, Njugati Palyaudvar metros and imagine a semi circular route between them all, that's where a lot of bars and nightclubs are. I'd do your research on where you're going for a night out as it's a big town centre and a lot of places are down side streets etc. Easy to get lost.

From memory Bar Szimpla and Morisson's Music Bar were drinking spots with a bit of character. It's not very imaginative but the bus tour is a good way to start your sightseeing. You can jump off wherever you like and you'll definitely see stuff you fancy coming back to another day. It's a fascinating city.

Don't hail taxi's in the street. The reputable companies won't even pick up non-ordered customers because of the reputation for scams. We got a bit lost one night, had an argument about whether to taxi it and split up. Needless to say the other group ended up in some jailbait strip club and without ordering anything, had to sprint for their lives out of some massive bill laugh.gif

The football there is even shitter in quality and not as lively an experience but the upside is that there's about 8 options.

The boat restaurant on the Danube was really good. Apart from that, there seemed to a bit of snobbishness in decent restaurants towards (young male) tourists. Can't blame them with some of the welts they must get in but be prepared to eat in the cheap and cheerful places.

Been to both. Both are great fun but slightly preferred Prague due to it being a bit bigger and more diverse. My recommendation would be to avoid the more obvious places for going out and head down the side streets. Bloody Freddys always sticks in my mind. Excellant absinthe cocktails in there. Also in Prague you have to go to the Golden Tiger for a drink or two. Plenty to see in both cities so whichever you choose you will enjoy.

We stayed in the old town in Prague and right on the main square in Krakow. Both great locations.

Was in Krakow in february for a stag. While it was good fun there seemed to be quite alot of agrro around town. The polish women are all really hot, the guys are not. This leads to British guys having a good success rate and leaving no women for the locals. Que plenty of aggro, punch ups etc. They are also becoming less tolerant of stags, especially if you have any english in your group, due to them running a riot in the town at weekends.

Have also been to Prague not on a stag though. It is definetly not as cheap as it used to be, the main square area you are now looking at British prices for your beer etc.

Why not go somewhere less exploited like Brno or Plezen?

Archived