Krakow v Prague

Gaz FFC

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What company did you book it through to cost 9 pounds?

It was my girlfriend, but I think she booked it through the official Auschwitz sight. Here is the official price-list (in Polish but you can get your browser to translate it). The currently exchange rate is about 5 zloty to the pound. 

http://visit.auschwitz.org/cennik-kart-wstepu-01-2017.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Going to Krakow in March anyone got any tips? Good pubs, best way to get to Auschwitz etc?

We went to Auschwitz with SeeKrakow; picked us up from the hotel, mini bus to camp 1 with a good documentary about the history leading to the camp's origins to pass the time, tour with an English speaking guide, back on the mini bus to Birkenau, same guide around there, back on the bus back to hotel. Cost about £25 each but I am lazy and saved us a lot of hassle.

Was over with other half so nothing wild, Moo Moo Steak & Burger club was a great meal. Went to a place called Charlotte for breakfast, also very decent. Booze is criminally cheap, Soplica flavoured vodka is outstanding.

5 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

how much is a pint roughly in prague these days?

thinking on heading there next year on a stag.

It was approx. Czk 45 or £1.50 when I was there a fortnight ago.

35 minutes ago, centralTon said:

It was approx. Czk 45 or £1.50 when I was there a fortnight ago.

Depends where you go, of course. If you go to the Czech equivalent of an old man's pub, you can pay 30 Czech crowns for a pint half litre.... if you go to a touristy place where are all the signage is in English, you can play close to British prices. 

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Depends where you go, of course. If you go to the Czech equivalent of an old man's pub, you can pay 30 Czech crowns for a pint half litre.... if you go to a touristy place where are all the signage is in English, you can play close to British prices. 

I've been to Prague 11 times in 14 years and know the city pretty well, but even going to out of the way bars I never saw anything cheaper than 35 Czk.

3 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

cheers mate, is that the local stuff or imported?

A few bars to go to in the city centre if it's your first time going...

Lokal (there are a couple of these)

U Vejvodu,

U Pinkasu,

U Medvidku,

U Provaznice,

Narodni Pivovar,

U Tri Ruzi (though this is slightly more expensive)

46 minutes ago, centralTon said:

I've been to Prague 11 times in 14 years and know the city pretty well, but even going to out of the way bars I never saw anything cheaper than 35 Czk.

46 minutes ago, centralTon said:

I've been to wee village pubs in the middle of nowhere that were dirt cheap so maybe I'm confusing it with there, but last time I was in Prague (about a year ago) I'm pretty sure most drinks were less than a quid. Mind you, the cheap beer might have addled my brain somewhat.

25 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've been to wee village pubs in the middle of nowhere that were dirt cheap so maybe I'm confusing it with there, but last time I was in Prague (about a year ago) I'm pretty sure most drinks were less than a quid. Mind you, the cheap beer might have addled my brain somewhat.

Last time I was there I could still get a pint for under a quid, but prices have gone up a bit and the exchange rate hasn't helped either. However, getting a quality pint for £1.50 is still ok.

On 15/03/2017 at 18:25, centralTon said:

A few bars to go to in the city centre if it's your first time going...

Lokal (there are a couple of these)

U Vejvodu,

U Pinkasu,

U Medvidku,

U Provaznice,

Narodni Pivovar,

U Tri Ruzi (though this is slightly more expensive)

Was in U Vejvodu when I was in Prague for the friendly this time last year. Good place, with good beer & food. Without knowing that I'd been there, my Czech friend who I met up with the following day, took me there as well.

http://www.restauraceuvejvodu.cz/

At current exchange rate, the 42.9 Koruna, as mentioned on their web-site, equates to £1.38. 

1 hour ago, German Jag said:

Was in U Vejvodu when I was in Prague for the friendly this time last year. Good place, with good beer & food. Without knowing that I'd been there, my Czech friend who I met up with the following day, took me there as well.

http://www.restauraceuvejvodu.cz/

At current exchange rate, the 42.9 Koruna, as mentioned on their web-site, equates to £1.38. 

Yeah I like U Vejvodu. First went there in 2005 and have gone in for their Goulash soup and Dark Kozel every time I've been since. Had an evening meal and a few beers there with the couple that my wife and I went to Prague with the other week and they thought it was fab.

I lived there for about 5 years and still go over at least once a month to see my girlfriend, I don't normally worry too much about beer prices because it is always a fraction of what it is here. My local was http://www.thepub.cz/praha/?lng=en My girlfriend stays in Prague 8 which is outside the touristy areas, there isn't much too see there apart from a lot of Communist architecture, pubs are cheap but you are less likely to have staff who speak English. 

If you are going on a stag weekend, my advice would be, try and stay in Prague 2 or Prague 5, the accommodation will be a lot less, local bars will be cheaper for some early evening looseners/food and is about a 20min walk to the center. Irish bars are about 80-100kc a beer so the less drinking in them, the less you will spend. Dance clubs in the center, especially Duplex are full of male tourists looking for Czech women, Czech women don't go to them because it is full of male tourists.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked Krakow for 5 days in November and managed to get flights and a 4 star hotel for £240 each which I think is a pretty decent deal. Staying right next to the market square and going by TripAdvisor, it seems to be right in the centre.

It's still ages away I know but apart from Auschwitz, what other sight seeing is there? Again I'll likely look on trip advisor for top tourist attractions.

35 minutes ago, Moo said:

Booked Krakow for 5 days in November and managed to get flights and a 4 star hotel for £240 each which I think is a pretty decent deal. Staying right next to the market square and going by TripAdvisor, it seems to be right in the centre.

It's still ages away I know but apart from Auschwitz, what other sight seeing is there? Again I'll likely look on trip advisor for top tourist attractions.

The salt mines are worth a visit.

Archived