Chvrches

ForzaDundee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wait. What?

Why would they feel the need to mess about with a soundtrack that's pretty much perfect as it is?

No idea. Zane Lowe trotted out lines about having "respect" for the film and that's about his only justification. Sure there's some decent artists involved but then you've got shite like Bastille and the 1975.

FWIW, Nic Winding Refn seems to like the idea but I think it's a terrible idea. No doubt there will be some good songs but the score (both original and "unoriginal") from Drive fits the film perfectly. It enhanced the viewing experience and is an integral part of the film. It's like someone coming along and deciding to rescore Goodfellas.

NWR & Cliff Martinez > Radio 1

I felt much the same about Drive as I did The Virgin Suicides when I saw that for the first time - amazingly stylish film and soundtrack that fit it exactly, but ultimately there was just something hollow about it.

Which is kind of exactly how I feel about Chvrches music in general. I like the idea and sound of it but it leaves me cold. It feels too designed. I think they could get better though so I'm keen to hear them develop.

Barrowlands on Monday and then Corn Exchange on Wednesday to see these guys. Pretty excited especially after missing half their Newcastle show earlier this year.