Coaching Sessions: ideas & styles

BTID

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I currently coach 2007s but find all the players are different levels and can't find the right drills etc that suits all the players. I'm trying to get the players al used to passing and moving off the ball into the spaces instead of admiring the pass.

Anyone got tips or drills that may help?

http://www.soccerxpert.com/mobile/drilldetail.aspx?DrillID=1268

I think this is the kind of drill your after. You could also do short-short-long just as a quick practice before it, basically with short-short-long you have a group of three one person passes very short (only a few yards) to the second player and quickly receives it back he then plays a medium length pass (long maybe isnt the best name for it) to the third player. If I do it I try to keep the players moving all the time and doing it with high intensity.

http://www.soccerxpert.com/mobile/drilldetail.aspx?DrillID=1268 I think this is the kind of drill your after. You could also do short-short-long just as a quick practice before it, basically with short-short-long you have a group of three one person passes very short (only a few yards) to the second player and quickly receives it back he then plays a medium length pass (long maybe isnt the best name for it) to the third player. If I do it I try to keep the players moving all the time and doing it with high intensity.

Thanks alot for your help. Will give it a try a few weeks until they understand it and see the benefits of movement.

not sure i totally understand the set up for the short-short- long.

I though a group of 4. 2 one side, 2 another. like below example

1------2---------------------------3------4

1 passes to 2 who lays it back for 1 who plays medium pass to 4.

4 into 3 then 4 all the way back across. players swap when medium pass goes to other side. only 3 with 4 and 2 with 1 though

thoughts on that? doesnt really get the players moving though.

EDIT:

Off topic here

Has anyone been abroad to Soccer Camps? I have been looking into it lately but they don't seem to give a mass amount of information out. Would be great if someone has been and can give feedback.

Thanks alot for your help. Will give it a try a few weeks until they understand it and see the benefits of movement.

not sure i totally understand the set up for the short-short- long.

I though a group of 4. 2 one side, 2 another. like below example

1------2---------------------------3------4

1 passes to 2 who lays it back for 1 who plays medium pass to 4.

4 into 3 then 4 all the way back across. players swap when medium pass goes to other side. only 3 with 4 and 2 with 1 though

thoughts on that? doesnt really get the players moving though.

EDIT:

Off topic here

Has anyone been abroad to Soccer Camps? I have been looking into it lately but they don't seem to give a mass amount of information out. Would be great if someone has been and can give feedback.

Yeah that's kind of similar to mine, I use mine as just a short warm up sometimes and it's like this:

1-2 --------------------------- 3. 1 passes to 2 then 2 back to 1 then 1 will pass to 3 and at the same time 2 will run towards 3, to make sure everyone gets a fair shot you can play an extra short pass so 3 passes to 2 back to 3 then back to 2 who will play the medium pass. I usually only do it for a few minutes and when I done it the kids were a bit older so could find ways to give everyone a shot.

To work you mean? I've done 3 years in the US with a company, best experience ever well

worth doing. What info you looking for?

To work you mean? I've done 3 years in the US with a company, best experience ever well

worth doing. What info you looking for?

Yeah to work. I have been looking into it but they don't really explain in detail.

I'd like to know

Cost involved to me

Best Compnay to try

expectations

Coaching day in UK where they select you and what they get you to do.

I have looked at UK Elite Soccer and UK International Soccer and considering applying for both but as said befoe I haven't been before and just trying to gather information as I can. I applied a couple of Years ago but nothing came of it but I only had Child 1.1 qualification at that time and 1 year experince in coaching.

Hi mate

I worked for uk elite for 3 years. Very good company.

Cost involved - you need to organise visa costs ie trip to London I think but apart from small fees not much. Your wages are ok, but it's the fact they pay your flights, accommodation, car, fuel etc mean it's a good standard of living.

Usually their interviews are in November only one here usually at science parks in Glasgow , won't have days set yet I don't think.

Any questions let me know if I can help

Hi mate

I worked for uk elite for 3 years. Very good company.

Cost involved - you need to organise visa costs ie trip to London I think but apart from small fees not much. Your wages are ok, but it's the fact they pay your flights, accommodation, car, fuel etc mean it's a good standard of living.

Usually their interviews are in November only one here usually at science parks in Glasgow , won't have days set yet I don't think.

Any questions let me know if I can help

Thanks alot with that. Was the training day easy enough? or do they do a 1 on 1 interview?

Both. Was a 15 min coaching drill followed by an interview. Practice was anything you want so straight forward

Thanks again

Going to get my application sorted in next couple of weeks hopefully get offered something.

Anything other help would be great.

First competitive game of U17s for us tomorrow - had a mixed pre-season with 2 draws, 2 defeats and a win but have yet to get (what we think is) our strongest team together yet due to injuries/holidays. Got some good players in with good attitudes and work rates so looking forward to getting started. Tough match tomorrow but should show us where we stand early doors

Guys looking for drills for one on one coaching sessions

•Defenders-Closing down?, tackling?

•Midfielders-Passing, Crossing?

•Strikers-Finishing? Movement

Any drills or advice would be great, we are now able to spare a coach to do one on one coaching with the idea of taking a player away from team training for 20mins and doing one on ones to help improve.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks

I can suggest these two age depending of course but really good for strikers.

hope they can help both depend on numbers you have to use.

My team had a development game on sunday to see who suits the new 7s games and pleasently surprised with the whole group looking to pass the ball up the pitch and find spaces. Still things to learn but its a good base.

• 5 months later...

Never coached a team myself but my old school team manager used to finish training sometimes by playing football with other sports rules. Example would be playing 5-a-sides with no keeper but a very tiny goal on a basketball pitch and using basketball rules (no tackling, 24 second shot clock, couldn't pass the ball back beyond the halfway line, could only dribble doing keepy ups). Similar one was Netball but you couldn't move with the ball and had to remain in yer own zone on the pitch and stuff. We also done rugby (couldn't pass forward unless it was a header) ice hockey (which if I remember correctly was just ordinary 6-a-side but the goals brought forward so ye could go behind them) and baseball but kicking instead of bats. Some worked better than others but was usually a good laugh, something a bit different, and kept ye on yer toes trying to remember the rules. I trained twice a week with my Sunday team as well as once with school so doing something different from just ending with a game of 7s was a good change of pace.

Never coached a team myself but my old school team manager used to finish training sometimes by playing football with other sports rules. Example would be playing 5-a-sides with no keeper but a very tiny goal on a basketball pitch and using basketball rules (no tackling, 24 second shot clock, couldn't pass the ball back beyond the halfway line, could only dribble doing keepy ups). Similar one was Netball but you couldn't move with the ball and had to remain in yer own zone on the pitch and stuff. We also done rugby (couldn't pass forward unless it was a header) ice hockey (which if I remember correctly was just ordinary 6-a-side but the goals brought forward so ye could go behind them) and baseball but kicking instead of bats. Some worked better than others but was usually a good laugh, something a bit different, and kept ye on yer toes trying to remember the rules. I trained twice a week with my Sunday team as well as once with school so doing something different from just ending with a game of 7s was a good change of pace.

I like this I've done similarish things but never actually thought of doing different sports each time. I've usually just done baseball and some conditions to make a game kind of like another sport. I may try this at some point as it will keep things fresh and fun for young kids.

Did you attend the interview Yonas for America - how did you get on if so?

Just noticed your post while back regarding passing and moving which is interesting as I've started to change my coaching approach to these. There are so many different passing drills out there but I've found players get into a routine of seeing it just as that...a drill with cones and a ball.

Now I'm trying to create a picture of how the practice would relate to an area of the pitch. Improving movement off the cone also important. I've created a few drills myself just looking at patterns of play from high level matches and scribbling down diagrams until it works. Should give it a go sometime!

Did you attend the interview Yonas for America - how did you get on if so?

Just noticed your post while back regarding passing and moving which is interesting as I've started to change my coaching approach to these. There are so many different passing drills out there but I've found players get into a routine of seeing it just as that...a drill with cones and a ball.

Now I'm trying to create a picture of how the practice would relate to an area of the pitch. Improving movement off the cone also important. I've created a few drills myself just looking at patterns of play from high level matches and scribbling down diagrams until it works. Should give it a go sometime!

Didnt get offered chance to go this time but will keep at the coaching and hopefully be improved enough to try again next year. A shame they never gave individual feedback as that would have helped a bit more.

Would you think having a more game like practice suit players at younger ages? I find it probably is but sometimes not all players get involved and manage to get touches of the ball. yet a small say square of 4 passing you know they are all getting a touch of the ball but it cant be a bit boring for them as they think its to easy.

Archived