Coaching Sessions: ideas & styles

BTID

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back at a few of my contributions to this thread and its an insight into the topsy turvy life as a boys club coach!!!

My son left Bonnyrigg about 2 weeks after my last post to play for another team in Edinburgh, who to be fair were at a different level to what we were at and has come on leaps and bounds, great attitude and commitment which I thought lacked when I was coaching him at Bonnyrigg. In my experience its nice to coach you own son but leaving it to someone else has been a total release for both of us. I now go along to watch him and like it alot better.

Unfortunately I now have had to take step back from Bonnyrigg as the laddies trains same nights and plays at same time on Sunday so I cant be in 2 places at once. But tell you what I do still miss working on something in training to see it come off during a game. Forget winning and losing seeing them learn and enjoy themselves at that age is what its all about.

Finally got round to booking my level 1.3 course. The first two expire for me in October so had to do this now or I'd have to sit them both again!

First day was on Monday and was so disappointed with it. Thought it was even worse than the first two for me. Seemed aimed exclusively at teaching coaches with zero knowledge of football. Just done a couple of near identical (very basic drills) and broke them down piece by painful piece. I'm by no means a football/coaching expert but I can safely say I learnt nothing in the six hours.

It seemed catered exclusively to the kind of dads who made up most of the participants. Ie, never played much football in their lives but got roped into coaching their boys teams. Certainly not having a go at them, fair play for getting involved but it's just disappointing as I feel I'm taking nothing from it

First one I've done in East Renfrewshire (first two I did with south Lanarkshire and Glasgow) so must just be designed around the demographic certain areas attract

Is there an easy place online you can check when your certs expire?

I've never got round to doing 1.3 as the courses always seem to be when we have games on!

Not as far as I'm aware but it's four years from when you took your most recent one. That gets reset every time you do another level

Yeah that's what always put me off but had to bite the bullet this time. Missed a penalty shootout win on Sunday and missing a cup semi this Sunday! Typical

Good bump - great reading back! Hope you are all doing well!

Levels 1-3 are just turn up and get it done, really isn't much to them.

Done my C license in October, enjoyed the course learned a lot. Definitely worthwhile. Working for the SFA now pretty much full time which is great love it. Still going with the 16s moved leagues to Cumbernauld/Kilsyth very hard league but 10 pts clear and going well after a really hard start.

How u finding being a parent rather than a coach boom?

Good bump - great reading back! Hope you are all doing well!

Levels 1-3 are just turn up and get it done, really isn't much to them.

Done my C license in October, enjoyed the course learned a lot. Definitely worthwhile. Working for the SFA now pretty much full time which is great love it. Still going with the 16s moved leagues to Cumbernauld/Kilsyth very hard league but 10 pts clear and going well after a really hard start.

How u finding being a parent rather than a coach boom?

it has been good for me and the laddie so far, not having the responsibility is a bit of a release but I am sure you will agree that although you dont get paid, have to put up with crap from parents, opposition, sometimes even the kids, being a coach is like a little bit of a drug which is very hard to be without

what is difficult/strange is standing at the side of the park and not shouting any instructions (which I used to hate parents doing when I was a coach) I am getting into the habit of giving encouragement not tactical advice lol

TBH I couldnt not be involved in football, I still get my wee fix as since about September last year I have been taking the local high schools u15`s, Lasswade HS with one of my mates whos son plays for the team. Its a good fit for me as they dont train and play on Saturday mornings when I have nothing else on. Although I dont get to coach them week in week out I get to shape them up and the messages on how we play are consistent.We have a very good side and are sitting top of the league, win on Saturday against the team bottom of the league and we cant be caught and win the league so looking forwad to that. Got put out Scottish in last 16 and think we are through our league cup section to the semi final of that as well so all good.

What is it you are doing FT for SFA? Your needing to get the Clydebank job FT and maybe turn them around lol

That's great, at least your still involved and seems like you have a good standard of player to coach with the school team.

Coach for the School of Football academy in the Central Region, been doing it for a year now. Slightly less pressure than taking the Clydebank job haha not looking good.

The lads at the school are a great bunch. All our players are club players but we regularly play school teams with 2-3 Heart/Hibs/Fife/Livingston PY players so its a testament to our team ethic that we are where we are. Its a great change/challenge for me having only worked with younger kids to work with young adults now and one which I really really enjoy.

The School of Football is that one of the performance schools i.e. Holyrood, Grange, Broughton etc

No. School of Football is integrated into the education curriculum, so it's not as specific to performance as the 2020 schools. The players do go through a process to get in based on ability and a range of other factors - so our groups tend to have the best players from the area. But we look more into improving the person 1st alongside developing their skills in football.

Looking back at a few of my contributions to this thread and its an insight into the topsy turvy life as a boys club coach!!!

My son left Bonnyrigg about 2 weeks after my last post to play for another team in Edinburgh, who to be fair were at a different level to what we were at and has come on leaps and bounds, great attitude and commitment which I thought lacked when I was coaching him at Bonnyrigg. In my experience its nice to coach you own son but leaving it to someone else has been a total release for both of us. I now go along to watch him and like it alot better.

Unfortunately I now have had to take step back from Bonnyrigg as the laddies trains same nights and plays at same time on Sunday so I cant be in 2 places at once. But tell you what I do still miss working on something in training to see it come off during a game. Forget winning and losing seeing them learn and enjoy themselves at that age is what its all about.

Same boat, my boy left his 2007 team last year and I now no longer coach. Not sure if my profile pic shows up here but he's smiling and I think it reflects that I am no longer coaching him. Coaching your own son I found really difficult and glad to be out of it now. It's funny though as sometimes you still finding yourself getting drawn in and thinking like a coach but then you have a reality check and just let the real coach deal with it all ;)

• 3 months later...

See if we can get this going again. Who's all back for Pre season? We've just started last week and had a wee bounce game amongst ourselves today. Couple of friendlies next few weekends and few new players in who look promising so looking forward to getting started properly.

Managed to get a couple of new kit sponsors too which is always welcome

• 2 weeks later...

I currently coach 2007s but find all the players are different levels and can't find the right drills etc that suits all the players. I'm trying to get the players al used to passing and moving off the ball into the spaces instead of admiring the pass.

Anyone got tips or drills that may help?

I currently coach 2007s but find all the players are different levels and can't find the right drills etc that suits all the players. I'm trying to get the players al used to passing and moving off the ball into the spaces instead of admiring the pass.

Type in thecoachingfamily.... go to twitter section and you find help. Also coachingbadges postings on same feed.

Follow @gavlevey on Twitter

I'm following the coachingfamily on twitter and have found a couple of useful things from them. The squad will progress to 7 a side soon and want them to be ready for the test as they have been playing 5s. Some players are starting to show signs of positional awarness but others still follow the ball everywhere.

Archived