Coaching Sessions: ideas & styles

BTID

Bump.

Update on our first pre-season game.

Glenvale 2-2 Broomhill

Went in at half time with a 2 goal lead, wich was fairly pleasing. Both teams played some really nice football at times.

I expressed to them before the game that i didn't care if we got hammered, as long as we tried our hardest and tried to play to our philosophy of gettting the ball on the deck and passing it around- which we did at times.

From our point of view, we lost two silly goals, but fought hard to create more chances and in the end held out for a decent draw against a very decent glenvale side.

I'm not one for getting all excited about tactics- especially at the age our boys are at- but we tried a few things on Saturday. Some worked and some obviously didn't

All in all, an excellent start that provided us coaches with a glimpse of hope for the up and coming seaon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope eveyone's having a good start to the season.

I'm currently a free agent myself due to circumstances at the club I was with.

Gutted to have left because we had some really talented boys and some great coaches but I think to be honest it's probably best.

Time to spread my wings and fly !!! haha

So that brings me to my next request...

Does anyone require a goalie coach to come in and run 1/2 sessions with your keepers a week ?

I'm offering my services free of charge to anyone that would have me. Renfrewshire/Glasgow area.

Would use clubs equipment and I'd hope for it to be a regular thing.

Want to get back to coaching without all the politics attached to it.

Just drop me a message on this if you're interested and we can talk

cheers !

That sucks. As I discovered it's not worth with putting up with shite at a club as a volunteer. There will always be plenty of clubs more than happy to have you. Yfs just launched their updated website today so get an advert up there.

Is that what you're wanting to do long term then, just goalkeeping coaching?

Good thread, it's funny seeing people voice the same concerns that I have.

My son's team is a 2007 team so they are just heading into fun4 territory, there's 5 coaches but 24 players...we split it into 4 teams of 6 but it's still a total nightmare...I think more coaches are coming in and very much needed.

Ideally i'd say 3 to 1 ratio is ideal, there's so much I identify with one kid but someone else is doing something and then your setting up the next drill, sometimes I just get lost in it all and I sit at home later thinking that I should have said something at the time.

The worst thing i've found is since being asked to help out is that I have no idea how my own boy is developing. Even though he's in my 6, because it's so manic I don't know. I guess that I am not identifying him as needing advice he must be doing alright but am I just ignoring him because I don't want to be accused of having favourites? He was one of the best players in the squad before I got involved.

It's interesting the amount of folk who always say you need balls at all times, we had a good session last night and some of it was running through cones...before then dribbling through the cones, the head coach decides the drills and I just carry them out but I thought the boys defo got a lot out of it I felt but I take on board what folk say. I'll probably favourite this thread if it's possible and come back from time to time to read more, some really interesting insights and quite relieving to read, even though there's 5 coaches including me at ours I didn't want to openly voice my concerns incase nobody else was thinking it.

You're definitely right Paul ! Yeah gonna stick an advert up.

Not really sure yet mate, Goalkeeping coaching is what I'm best at and I don't know if I have time for all the stress that comes with assisting a team full time ! Time will tell.

I love my coaching so I know I can't stop !

How you getting on ?

Well let me know how you get on

Ye we're doing well., Won our first 3 in the league and got the first round of the Scottish Cup against Pollok coming up on Sunday.

The team looks like it's really starting to gel now. Quite a big change in personnel over the Summer and while the potential was always massive it's taken a wee bit of time for the new boys to fit in with our style of play but they seem to have slotted in well now

Got a bit of political drama going on in the background with our old friend from Celtic which I won't go into on the forum (I'm a PM away though if you're feeling nosey ;) )

Good thread, it's funny seeing people voice the same concerns that I have.

My son's team is a 2007 team so they are just heading into fun4 territory, there's 5 coaches but 24 players...we split it into 4 teams of 6 but it's still a total nightmare...I think more coaches are coming in and very much needed.

Ideally i'd say 3 to 1 ratio is ideal, there's so much I identify with one kid but someone else is doing something and then your setting up the next drill, sometimes I just get lost in it all and I sit at home later thinking that I should have said something at the time.

The worst thing i've found is since being asked to help out is that I have no idea how my own boy is developing. Even though he's in my 6, because it's so manic I don't know. I guess that I am not identifying him as needing advice he must be doing alright but am I just ignoring him because I don't want to be accused of having favourites? He was one of the best players in the squad before I got involved.

It's interesting the amount of folk who always say you need balls at all times, we had a good session last night and some of it was running through cones...before then dribbling through the cones, the head coach decides the drills and I just carry them out but I thought the boys defo got a lot out of it I felt but I take on board what folk say. I'll probably favourite this thread if it's possible and come back from time to time to read more, some really interesting insights and quite relieving to read, even though there's 5 coaches including me at ours I didn't want to openly voice my concerns incase nobody else was thinking it.

I understand most of what you are saying, I take 2005`s team in last year at 4`s and introducing 7`s to them. Please be assured you are not the only one to exprience a bit of carnage and still happens now and again with us. An important lesson I learned and very quickly is you need to PLAN the training session in advance so all coaches know what will be happening. We know know its my job to take warm up and that gives the other coaches time to set out what they intend on doing. We have 6 coaches for around 30 boys (not all turn up tbf) we normally split into 3 sections with 2 coaches looking after each section. If all the coaches are singing off the same hymn sheet it makes it easier to coordinate, also if its planned before hand you may get a greater say on what drills/games you play each night and feel a greater contribution as a coach.

With regards to your own son maybe have him with another coach who can give him the attention he needs without any feelings towards what other people might say.

Persevere and it will get a bit easier, having lots of coaches is good but when there are too many there is a danger of too much advice banding about which sometimes can confuse kids of that age. Keep it simple, repeat things until they get it right and then move on. Most importantly if they have a smile on their face at training then you are doing something right :thumsup2

Beat pollok. 2-0 in the Scottish. Tough game but win is all that matters in the cup. Playing them again in the league on Sunday so hopefully a more comfortable morning in store.

Also played Motherwell pro youth over 90 mins last night. Lost 4-0 but the work rate from our boys was immense with the well boys' superior fitness showing in the end. Goalless at half time and honestly think footballing wise we were the better team first 45.

Was still only 1-0 after 70 minutes before we tired

Basically got done to us what we do to teams in our league. Great exercise though and only thing between the teams really was that they train 4 nights a week which showed. Stands us in great stead for the season ahead because we're unlikely to have any tougher games than that

• 4 weeks later...

Really interesting topic and some great contributions.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with some session ideas as I am about to take the Year 6 (Primary 7 in Scotland) boys football team at the primary school I teach at in London as the guy who used to take them can't anymore.

They play 7 a side and it is a group of anywhere between 10-12 boys I will be taking once a week for just over an hour. They have played a couple of games this year and lost both, 4-3 and 5-4. Having watched them, I would like to work on keeping possession and moving the ball around, maintaining the shape of the team and teamwork.

Not overly concerned about results, just want the boys to enjoy it and try and get a philosophy instilled in them of them keeping the ball. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Really interesting topic and some great contributions.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with some session ideas as I am about to take the Year 6 (Primary 7 in Scotland) boys football team at the primary school I teach at in London as the guy who used to take them can't anymore.

They play 7 a side and it is a group of anywhere between 10-12 boys I will be taking once a week for just over an hour. They have played a couple of games this year and lost both, 4-3 and 5-4. Having watched them, I would like to work on keeping possession and moving the ball around, maintaining the shape of the team and teamwork.

Not overly concerned about results, just want the boys to enjoy it and try and get a philosophy instilled in them of them keeping the ball. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

When I played boys club we started doing a drill (we called it the Bouden for some reason) which I found really effective. Set out a square, roughly 5x5metres, maybe slightly more. Two or three players on each cone which works out quite well for you. 2 balls, one for each diagonal. Too start off player 1 passes ball 1 to the player at the opposite cone (player 3) then runs into the centre of the square. They then turn to their left/right and receive ball 2 from player 2 which they stop dead (the better the touch the easier it is for the next person) and then run onto the cone opposite their starting point. Player 2 then runs in and plays ball 2 to the player opposite them (player 4) and then receives ball 1 from player 3, which they control before moving on to the cone opposite their opposite their starting point and so on. Not sure how well I explained it but I could probably find a video/diagram which might help. It takes a while to get it used to it but it definitely improves your first touch and once they have really got the hang of it they should be doing it a quite a pace, which is very satisfying and quite challenging. It was still our main drill before games until we folded last year at under 16s so it is quite advanced but I would recommend starting now so they can master it at a young age (we probably did after about 6 months). I coach the P5s now but I think it's too early to introduce it yet. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

How's the season going folks coming into winter time?

Made a solid start to the season, winning all 6 of our league games and into the 3rd rd of the Scottish. We have some really talented wee players in our team this year. Playing some good football but still to really reach our potential I think...which will take time as we had quite a lot of movement over the summer.

What's everyone's training / match costs? I've managed to get us 1/2 pitch for less than 1/2 the cost for a 1/3rd of a pitch just because of the council area. Both 3G. Similarly, Glasgow 11aside pitch is about 80, yet in Renfrew it's 45?

Absolute scandal that there is such a massive cost difference. Profiteering from voluntary groups. Glasgow seems to cost a fortune compared to many other LA's.

• 2 months later...

evening all. Been a while since I registered on P&B as I struggled to fit the time for another forum in but noticed this thread tonight and thought, hopefully can share some thoughts & ideas.

Been coaching with a club in Essex for 3 years now & manage 2 U10's teams {Year 5 boys/Primary 6}

took my own son along to the soccer school when he was 7 and once they had enough players to form a team.....

Played the 1st season with 12 players {for 7 a-side} which was a struggle getting each player enough game time but in the close season, another 5 boys came looking for a team and I split the 17 into 2 teams of 9 & 8. We now have 20 players Registered with another 5 boys training regularly with us. Next season, the teams {playing in the Chelmsford Youth League} go 9 a-side and as I have found,some parents think their son is the next Messi and move them onto other teams when you don't pander to them.

Whilst we want to win every match {who doesn't}, we accept that we won't and the emphasis in training and matches is for each player to enjoy themselves.

anyways, hopefully, be able to share some ideas and suggestions that will benefit both our teams and us as coaches.

all the best.

Dunno if any of you guys are aware of youth football Scotland. Basically a not for profit who send reporters, photographers etc to youth games across the country. Also have a radio station and online TV channel. Great coverage for the kids involved at all levels

They released l magazine just before Christmas. http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/magazine

Wee feature on our team on page 64/65 ;)

Used to be part of a larger boys club but decided to start our own project under a new name 2 and a half years ago. Coaches came together from two teams so felt it was best to start afresh and create our own history and identity.

2 seasons later we are sitting with 7 major trophies and hope to continue to build and develop the team. Been a positive start progressing on and off the park every year. Having one team means more responsibility for a small group of people but means we can control how the club is run.

• 2 months later...

This has died a death slightly. Be good to maybe try and get it going again.

Been some ups and downs for us since the last update anyway. After going out the Scottish we set our sights on the regional as the big trophy left to us but we're pumped out of that in the second round. Absolute disaster of a day but had been coming - prompted a lot of soul searching and self-evaluation from us as coaches but hopefully taking steps in the right direction now. Few 'undesirable' if you like, elements in the team were maybe allowed too much leeway and we've since taken steps to address that.

On the positive side, we wrapped up the league with a good tough win v Pollok a couple of weeks ago. Pleased to get a third title under our belts with a couple of games to spare. Means we're also unbeaten now in the league for the last two years.

Still got the league cup and our champions league style tournament in June to look forward to as well so season not over yet. Hopefully finish strongly and ready for next season

• 3 weeks later...

Not contribued to this thread for a wee while but here goes....

Boys went from 4s to 7s in March in Edinburgh Leagues, there are 4 divs and we had to try and pitch our teams where we thought our development was, we have 3 teams at different levels so put a team in 2nd 3rd & 4th.

All of the coaches have sons in the squad and they are spread about the 3 teams so coaches take there own sons and team they are in, it tends to be me on my own with the div2 team, 3 coaches in div3 team and 2 at div4.

Firstly we found out fter pitching us in div2 that there was not enough teams entered div1 so they were combining div1/2.

Our first game was against Hutchy Vale and we got destroyed 10-1 things got better and the next 4 games lost by maybe 2 goals a game, then played a team from Lochend who handed out a severe skelpin 12-0 but drew our game yesterday 2-2. Got doubts in my mind whether or not we pitched our teams correctly but going to stick with it as not much between the div2 teams but the guys who had put themselves in div1 are clearly a step up.

Would say I have 4/5 players capable of playing at div2 level but 3/4 that should be with our div3 team but I have no alternative to play them, we got a wee player from another club (who approached us btw coz he wasnt happy where he was before) who has added to our team so we are not far away, I think.

Also, if your player had an opportunity to go to quite an obviously better team with better players around him would you stand in his way or encourage him to go for his own football development?

Ill take it your presuming the player moves from and to another boys club rather than PY?

Not sure there is really much you can do, if the player wants to go for whatever reason then no point trying to keep an unhappy player. We've lost 7 players in 4 weeks to PY/losing interest/start afresh so all you can do is look to build a squad who do want to be there.

Early days yet for you guys boomtown - not nice playing matches which don't help develop either side but hopefully it will give them some experience at the top level.

When does PY actually come in? I have heard alot about players training with Hibs/Heart etc but still as far as I am aware these players are playing with their clubs just now as well. What age do the PY teams say right your with us now, no other clubs?

I think players can sign at U11, that's when the age groups start anyway I'm sure. That'll probably explain why the lads you know can still play for their BC team if under 10.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived