BTID

Coaching Sessions: ideas & styles

BTID    45

Really do believe desire comes from within unfortunately. You can't teach hunger the person has to want it. Keep setting high standards with the training and hopefully the players have the same aspirations you do.

Yonas    9

They did well this morning but came off 2nd best on the score but certainly some positives to take from the game and some excellent passing and moves during the game so hoping they continue and make it happen all game.I just need to make training a higher intensity as they seemed to tire out during the game even with the changes.

Wilky1878    288

At the team I'm helping at just now they don't have anyone to work specifically with goalkeepers so I've been roped into once a week taking the keepers away for 20-25 minutes and doing some agility stuff, reaction stuff, fast feet stuff etc. I have a rough idea for the first 3-4 weeks of what I could do but after that I think I will have run out of ideas and don't want stuff to get too repetitive for them. Anyone any good drills or even websites for resources for keepers. The kids are 13 years old.

Yonas    9

At the team I'm helping at just now they don't have anyone to work specifically with goalkeepers so I've been roped into once a week taking the keepers away for 20-25 minutes and doing some agility stuff, reaction stuff, fast feet stuff etc. I have a rough idea for the first 3-4 weeks of what I could do but after that I think I will have run out of ideas and don't want stuff to get too repetitive for them. Anyone any good drills or even websites for resources for keepers. The kids are 13 years old.

I can suggest Youtube would have alot on there. Do the other coaches use them for shooting drills and drills that require keepers? 

Our keepers just join in and play outfield but there is a big difference in age groups

Wilky1878    288

I can suggest Youtube would have alot on there. Do the other coaches use them for shooting drills and drills that require keepers?

Our keepers just join in and play outfield but there is a big difference in age groups

It's a school of sport academy I'm helping out at. I only just started a few weeks ago but I think before hand most drills they did involved a keeper in one way or another and they just played in goals during the drills.

There are 3 Goalkeepers in the squad I think one is pro youth with alloa and another pro youth with Dundee United but don't quote me on that one.

I'll give YouTube a try cheers.

paul-r-cfc    291

Just returned from Holland yesterday after an exhausting but very successful weekend with our under 17s team.  Played in the Easter Open West which was all Dutch teams except us, a Danish team and an English mob.

First day we drew 2-2 in our opening game, comfortably won the second 3-0 although it could have been 10 the way we played.  Final game was 1-1 against the hosts and was enough to see us make the second group stage which was two groups of three, the winners of both would play in the final

Second day we came from behind to win 3-1 first match then won the second 1-0.  This was my highlight of the weekend.  Against probably the strongest team in the competition, we started the game beset by injuries to key players, had to go with a much weakened team and I feared the worst tbh.  Rode a lot of pressure to get to half time goalless and then nicked it in the second half with an absolute screamer.  The reaction of their coach showed how shocked/disappointed they were to go out.

We played the English team in the final, again with a few injuries.  They were a strong, quick team with a few boys a year older than us but we dealt with them well until the last second when we conceded from a corner.

The boys were all devastated but couldn't be prouder of how well they done considering the difficult season we've had.  Had a great weekend away with them and they were a pleasure to be with.  Just hoping we can build on this for the rest of the season now

Wilky1878    288

Just returned from Holland yesterday after an exhausting but very successful weekend with our under 17s team. Played in the Easter Open West which was all Dutch teams except us, a Danish team and an English mob.

First day we drew 2-2 in our opening game, comfortably won the second 3-0 although it could have been 10 the way we played. Final game was 1-1 against the hosts and was enough to see us make the second group stage which was two groups of three, the winners of both would play in the final

Second day we came from behind to win 3-1 first match then won the second 1-0. This was my highlight of the weekend. Against probably the strongest team in the competition, we started the game beset by injuries to key players, had to go with a much weakened team and I feared the worst tbh. Rode a lot of pressure to get to half time goalless and then nicked it in the second half with an absolute screamer. The reaction of their coach showed how shocked/disappointed they were to go out.

We played the English team in the final, again with a few injuries. They were a strong, quick team with a few boys a year older than us but we dealt with them well until the last second when we conceded from a corner.

The boys were all devastated but couldn't be prouder of how well they done considering the difficult season we've had. Had a great weekend away with them and they were a pleasure to be with. Just hoping we can build on this for the rest of the season now

Good to hear the boys are doing well against teams in mainland Europe. All the best for the rest of the season mate.

Yonas    9

What are peoples thoughts on youngsters being bad sports? Like deliberate fouling players on opposition when the games going against them?

As a coach if it was my team I would pull the player off straight away but I have found others arent the same way inclined due to the players ability of the field allowing them to foul constantly without consequence. 7s matches dont have a match offical and mostly done from both coaches on either side or the home teams coach. Which is not a problem most games where bad fouling is not a issue.

Starting to enjoy watching the games with the team beginning to pass it around well and creating some very good chances. a bit more work on taking them and finiding the right movement it will be great. They are developing as a good team which is pleasing

Boomtown Boy    136

Good to hear you team are progressing.

Not nice to watch that and it says more about the backbone of the coach, I think its unacceptable in the 7`s form of the game and I am sure there are guidelines somewhere from SFA saying you have to sit these players out for a few minutes but tbf I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of coaches at 7`s so nothing surprises me anymore. I would keep focused on your tams dicipline and make sure they play the game the right way. You can only have a positive impact on your players. I am a great beleiver that your team is an extension of your personality and they will follow your lead,make sure you lead properly.

On the other hand at u16`s deliberate fouls are good in some areas, petulance and loss of dicipline is not acceptable anywhere though.

Yonas    9

Good to hear you team are progressing.

Not nice to watch that and it says more about the backbone of the coach, I think its unacceptable in the 7`s form of the game and I am sure there are guidelines somewhere from SFA saying you have to sit these players out for a few minutes but tbf I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of coaches at 7`s so nothing surprises me anymore. I would keep focused on your tams dicipline and make sure they play the game the right way. You can only have a positive impact on your players. I am a great beleiver that your team is an extension of your personality and they will follow your lead,make sure you lead properly.

On the other hand at u16`s deliberate fouls are good in some areas, petulance and loss of dicipline is not acceptable anywhere though.

Yeah the cocahes eventually took the player off then in goals at end of the quater to avoid more incidents.

We only have discipline problems in times at training where they are not encouraging the less developed players but we touched on the issue last session so hope that it will decline and they will start getting on which each other. 

At u16s level its more the raising of the hands or tone towards the Ref which becomes the issue. I believe its rolling subs so possibly pulling player off to calm down and get his head back to the task in hand.

Yonas    9

BUMP

Are there any good places online for session content for ideas?

Keepitonthedeck is ok at times but isnt largely filled with sessions apart from the Leicester City file which was very useful. I often find the odd video on YouTube through Coaching Manuel.