Coaching Sessions: ideas & styles

BTID

They did well this morning but came off 2nd best on the score but certainly some positives to take from the game and some excellent passing and moves during the game so hoping they continue and make it happen all game.I just need to make training a higher intensity as they seemed to tire out during the game even with the changes.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the team I'm helping at just now they don't have anyone to work specifically with goalkeepers so I've been roped into once a week taking the keepers away for 20-25 minutes and doing some agility stuff, reaction stuff, fast feet stuff etc. I have a rough idea for the first 3-4 weeks of what I could do but after that I think I will have run out of ideas and don't want stuff to get too repetitive for them. Anyone any good drills or even websites for resources for keepers. The kids are 13 years old.

At the team I'm helping at just now they don't have anyone to work specifically with goalkeepers so I've been roped into once a week taking the keepers away for 20-25 minutes and doing some agility stuff, reaction stuff, fast feet stuff etc. I have a rough idea for the first 3-4 weeks of what I could do but after that I think I will have run out of ideas and don't want stuff to get too repetitive for them. Anyone any good drills or even websites for resources for keepers. The kids are 13 years old.

I can suggest Youtube would have alot on there. Do the other coaches use them for shooting drills and drills that require keepers? 

Our keepers just join in and play outfield but there is a big difference in age groups

I can suggest Youtube would have alot on there. Do the other coaches use them for shooting drills and drills that require keepers?

Our keepers just join in and play outfield but there is a big difference in age groups

It's a school of sport academy I'm helping out at. I only just started a few weeks ago but I think before hand most drills they did involved a keeper in one way or another and they just played in goals during the drills.

There are 3 Goalkeepers in the squad I think one is pro youth with alloa and another pro youth with Dundee United but don't quote me on that one.

I'll give YouTube a try cheers.

Just returned from Holland yesterday after an exhausting but very successful weekend with our under 17s team.  Played in the Easter Open West which was all Dutch teams except us, a Danish team and an English mob.

First day we drew 2-2 in our opening game, comfortably won the second 3-0 although it could have been 10 the way we played.  Final game was 1-1 against the hosts and was enough to see us make the second group stage which was two groups of three, the winners of both would play in the final

Second day we came from behind to win 3-1 first match then won the second 1-0.  This was my highlight of the weekend.  Against probably the strongest team in the competition, we started the game beset by injuries to key players, had to go with a much weakened team and I feared the worst tbh.  Rode a lot of pressure to get to half time goalless and then nicked it in the second half with an absolute screamer.  The reaction of their coach showed how shocked/disappointed they were to go out.

We played the English team in the final, again with a few injuries.  They were a strong, quick team with a few boys a year older than us but we dealt with them well until the last second when we conceded from a corner.

The boys were all devastated but couldn't be prouder of how well they done considering the difficult season we've had.  Had a great weekend away with them and they were a pleasure to be with.  Just hoping we can build on this for the rest of the season now

Just returned from Holland yesterday after an exhausting but very successful weekend with our under 17s team. Played in the Easter Open West which was all Dutch teams except us, a Danish team and an English mob.

First day we drew 2-2 in our opening game, comfortably won the second 3-0 although it could have been 10 the way we played. Final game was 1-1 against the hosts and was enough to see us make the second group stage which was two groups of three, the winners of both would play in the final

Second day we came from behind to win 3-1 first match then won the second 1-0. This was my highlight of the weekend. Against probably the strongest team in the competition, we started the game beset by injuries to key players, had to go with a much weakened team and I feared the worst tbh. Rode a lot of pressure to get to half time goalless and then nicked it in the second half with an absolute screamer. The reaction of their coach showed how shocked/disappointed they were to go out.

We played the English team in the final, again with a few injuries. They were a strong, quick team with a few boys a year older than us but we dealt with them well until the last second when we conceded from a corner.

The boys were all devastated but couldn't be prouder of how well they done considering the difficult season we've had. Had a great weekend away with them and they were a pleasure to be with. Just hoping we can build on this for the rest of the season now

Good to hear the boys are doing well against teams in mainland Europe. All the best for the rest of the season mate.

• 4 weeks later...

What are peoples thoughts on youngsters being bad sports? Like deliberate fouling players on opposition when the games going against them?

As a coach if it was my team I would pull the player off straight away but I have found others arent the same way inclined due to the players ability of the field allowing them to foul constantly without consequence. 7s matches dont have a match offical and mostly done from both coaches on either side or the home teams coach. Which is not a problem most games where bad fouling is not a issue.

Starting to enjoy watching the games with the team beginning to pass it around well and creating some very good chances. a bit more work on taking them and finiding the right movement it will be great. They are developing as a good team which is pleasing

Good to hear you team are progressing.

Not nice to watch that and it says more about the backbone of the coach, I think its unacceptable in the 7`s form of the game and I am sure there are guidelines somewhere from SFA saying you have to sit these players out for a few minutes but tbf I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of coaches at 7`s so nothing surprises me anymore. I would keep focused on your tams dicipline and make sure they play the game the right way. You can only have a positive impact on your players. I am a great beleiver that your team is an extension of your personality and they will follow your lead,make sure you lead properly.

On the other hand at u16`s deliberate fouls are good in some areas, petulance and loss of dicipline is not acceptable anywhere though.

Good to hear you team are progressing.

Not nice to watch that and it says more about the backbone of the coach, I think its unacceptable in the 7`s form of the game and I am sure there are guidelines somewhere from SFA saying you have to sit these players out for a few minutes but tbf I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of coaches at 7`s so nothing surprises me anymore. I would keep focused on your tams dicipline and make sure they play the game the right way. You can only have a positive impact on your players. I am a great beleiver that your team is an extension of your personality and they will follow your lead,make sure you lead properly.

On the other hand at u16`s deliberate fouls are good in some areas, petulance and loss of dicipline is not acceptable anywhere though.

Yeah the cocahes eventually took the player off then in goals at end of the quater to avoid more incidents.

We only have discipline problems in times at training where they are not encouraging the less developed players but we touched on the issue last session so hope that it will decline and they will start getting on which each other. 

At u16s level its more the raising of the hands or tone towards the Ref which becomes the issue. I believe its rolling subs so possibly pulling player off to calm down and get his head back to the task in hand.

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Are there any good places online for session content for ideas?

Keepitonthedeck is ok at times but isnt largely filled with sessions apart from the Leicester City file which was very useful. I often find the odd video on YouTube through Coaching Manuel.

• 9 months later...

Not sure if this is the right thread but I was pretty fucking annoyed today seeing a coaching session for under 5s today.

Why on earth are guys thinking they're mourinho with 3 year old kids?

I thought the current chat was about touches, touches, touches? (Seems eminently sensible to me)

Don't get me wrong they do some good stuff but then spend 5 minutes setting up a drill and then 5 minutes doing it which results in kids sitting about for ages waiting their turns.

Three years old for Christ sake. Just find different wee ball games and make it as fun as possible. That's literally it.

What are peoples thoughts on youngsters being bad sports? Like deliberate fouling players on opposition when the games going against them?

As a coach if it was my team I would pull the player off straight away but I have found others arent the same way inclined due to the players ability of the field allowing them to foul constantly without consequence. 7s matches dont have a match offical and mostly done from both coaches on either side or the home teams coach. Which is not a problem most games where bad fouling is not a issue.

Starting to enjoy watching the games with the team beginning to pass it around well and creating some very good chances. a bit more work on taking them and finiding the right movement it will be great. They are developing as a good team which is pleasing

Just reading though this and an issue from for me is the fact no two teams play to the same rules.

Silly things like allowing keeper to punt the ball, not retreating to the line to allow keeper to rolling out. Seems its all about winning for some coaches.

11 hours ago, montheton said:

Just reading though this and an issue from for me is the fact no two teams play to the same rules.

Silly things like allowing keeper to punt the ball, not retreating to the line to allow keeper to rolling out. Seems its all about winning for some coaches.

I guess this comes down to what age should football become a competitive sport? It also probably depends on the coaches as well before and after it becomes competitive on how they want the kids to play? If the only way the kids can win is punt it forward and get the fastest player in the squad chasing the ball then they'll do that and train that. Maybe Leagues should be encouraging some sort of incentives for playing from the back? If the league is pushing the clubs to play from the back then the coaches will be forced to teach the kids proper footwork and passing.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion all clubs with clear player pathways should have the same philosophies when it comes to how the game should be played, coaching methods can vary but I think it would help kids progress throughout the age groups.

I as a coach give my players 3 objectives to achieve in a game based on their position ie wingers to get 3 crosses into the box, underlaps and switching sides. As a team we look at playing from the back and another coach asked me if my centre halfs got caught out trying this would I change? My answer was simply no, I think repetition is key for all these things. Although we have been fairly successful using these methods I would never change.

As a coach I do not coach from the sidelines to the group I want to develope my player to where the have the confidence to make decisions on the park and not be afraid to make mistakes.

In training we typically play small sided street games on a Monday where we can challenge the players due to certain rules to each game, followed with 1v1 and 2v1 3v2 with a shot at goal. Thursday night's we look at patterns of play, playing through lines, setting traps, dropping off etc. It's a great mix but in all honesty it depends on the age of kids and the group they are......

On 01/07/2018 at 15:18, quickoverayard said:

In my opinion all clubs with clear player pathways should have the same philosophies when it comes to how the game should be played, coaching methods can vary but I think it would help kids progress throughout the age groups.

I as a coach give my players 3 objectives to achieve in a game based on their position ie wingers to get 3 crosses into the box, underlaps and switching sides. As a team we look at playing from the back and another coach asked me if my centre halfs got caught out trying this would I change? My answer was simply no, I think repetition is key for all these things. Although we have been fairly successful using these methods I would never change.

As a coach I do not coach from the sidelines to the group I want to develope my player to where the have the confidence to make decisions on the park and not be afraid to make mistakes.

In training we typically play small sided street games on a Monday where we can challenge the players due to certain rules to each game, followed with 1v1 and 2v1 3v2 with a shot at goal. Thursday night's we look at patterns of play, playing through lines, setting traps, dropping off etc. It's a great mix but in all honesty it depends on the age of kids and the group they are......

Good post. Yeah if Coaches cared less for the win at all cost mentality so they can go tell there mates they won the league. I would gauge my success as a coach to the Level the majority of my players play at the end of youth football.

My sessions vary but after playing a few teams in festivals at the same age from another region I noticed how much more comfortable they were to retain the the ball playing backwards then moving it forward again. So I have looked at making sessions where players set up like a game to retain the ball from a opposition with less players who just look to win the ball back and create a scoring chance. It has worked quite well in training and hopefully it starts to develop in the matches when they get going again. Team is learning to pass and move which has been a massive benefit to how the team now plays compared to others in the region.

Tried to stay away from any big line drills with numbers but if doing 1v1s  in small groups they arent waiting long and just shorten the time spent on it.

Good post. Yeah if Coaches cared less for the win at all cost mentality so they can go tell there mates they won the league. I would gauge my success as a coach to the Level the majority of my players play at the end of youth football.

My sessions vary but after playing a few teams in festivals at the same age from another region I noticed how much more comfortable they were to retain the the ball playing backwards then moving it forward again. So I have looked at making sessions where players set up like a game to retain the ball from a opposition with less players who just look to win the ball back and create a scoring chance. It has worked quite well in training and hopefully it starts to develop in the matches when they get going again. Team is learning to pass and move which has been a massive benefit to how the team now plays compared to others in the region.
Tried to stay away from any big line drills with numbers but if doing 1v1s  in small groups they arent waiting long and just shorten the time spent on it.
I totally agree with you mate, although I have a successful team I do not consider that to be a fundamental. My main objective is to challenge my players on how they think... we have 3 rules at training, be respectful to coaches and team mates, be creative and have fun.

I adopted the same approach as yourself from 7s, I wanted my players to control the pace of games, use this to an advantage when they are under the cosh.

Like yourself if I'm doing any drill where there is a turnover in position ie attack v defence I put in place a goal so tje defender once hes won the ball starts attacking the space with a chance at goal... this makes him more comfortable on the ball and will eventually become a rotation playing into midfield.

Coaching for me is an education

12 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

I totally agree with you mate, although I have a successful team I do not consider that to be a fundamental. My main objective is to challenge my players on how they think... we have 3 rules at training, be respectful to coaches and team mates, be creative and have fun.

I adopted the same approach as yourself from 7s, I wanted my players to control the pace of games, use this to an advantage when they are under the cosh.

Like yourself if I'm doing any drill where there is a turnover in position ie attack v defence I put in place a goal so tje defender once hes won the ball starts attacking the space with a chance at goal... this makes him more comfortable on the ball and will eventually become a rotation playing into midfield.

Coaching for me is an education

I like your approach for the 3 simple rules which apply to all of life really. I tend to have challenges in games for the whole team to keep them focused. I dont get annoyed if they lose its mainly if the work rate isnt there as they have hit new heights this year after a slow start adjusting to the new format and had compliments from other teams.

I think a big thing aswell is learn from the players in the group and always get feedback to ensure the things being done at training they are understanding.

When Defenders win the ball its important they attack quickly into the space and have the compsure to make a decision in the final third. I'm trying to keep most of my sessions match based as the players seem to learn more from it.

How old are the kid you coach? To be honest mate that's the way forward game related scenarios in training, we paint the picture the kids come up with the answers. I want them to challenge themselves, I've had that same problem whst I done was set up 4 mini pitches at training 4v4, winner moves up, tesm who loses stays where they are make the games first team across 4 games to score 4 goals. This helped with decision making, concentration, work rate and match tempo. That may be something to look at.

3 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

How old are the kid you coach? To be honest mate that's the way forward game related scenarios in training, we paint the picture the kids come up with the answers. I want them to challenge themselves, I've had that same problem whst I done was set up 4 mini pitches at training 4v4, winner moves up, tesm who loses stays where they are make the games first team across 4 games to score 4 goals. This helped with decision making, concentration, work rate and match tempo. That may be something to look at.

10/11 yr old.

Yeah seems a nice idea and worth a try always looking at different ways to help them.

Archived