Coaching Sessions: ideas & styles

BTID

Yeh when I went first year there was about 80 Summer staff I've heard that only about 10-15 or so got picked none from Glasgow so the standard was so tough this year. Keep at it maybe look at other companies I know challenger had a interview day very recent may still be an option. Did I speak to you on the day spoke to many of the guys there at some point?

As for game related practices for younger kids of course everything is beneficial! Everyone should practice the basica and get loads of touches/face game like scenarios but it's putting it into the game that is most important.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh when I went first year there was about 80 Summer staff I've heard that only about 10-15 or so got picked none from Glasgow so the standard was so tough this year. Keep at it maybe look at other companies I know challenger had a interview day very recent may still be an option. Did I speak to you on the day spoke to many of the guys there at some point?

As for game related practices for younger kids of course everything is beneficial! Everyone should practice the basica and get loads of touches/face game like scenarios but it's putting it into the game that is most important.

Thats not great for Glasgow a couple were very good there. No dont think I got the chance on the day busy trying to get the session good. I have looked at YESsoccer who are recruiting but not a fan of the limited information with some places. Challenger didnt interest me due to all the extra charges they make you pay.

I like coaching the team I'm with as been with them over a year with same group so just hoping they keep improving along with myself as a coach. The opportunity will arrive one day.

Yes I thought the standard was pretty good, but with so few spaces available for the summer was always going to be tough. Stick at it no harm in applying for different companies as the uk elite director said and compare which offers the best deal.

Yes I thought the standard was pretty good, but with so few spaces available for the summer was always going to be tough. Stick at it no harm in applying for different companies as the uk elite director said and compare which offers the best deal.

I will enquire about other companies and see what they respond with and go from there.

What kind of things should U10s team be doing before matches? I think they are a bit on small side for the runs and streches yet. I usually get them in small groups and get them to pass the ball to each other and then add a defender in the middle. Finished with some lay off and shots at goal. Any ideas or tips would be helpful. they have only just started 7s so havent got a routine yet before games.

Yeh wouldn't do stretches simple movements would be fine like jumping, skipping, sprinting etc

I'd say at that age it's about getting them focused, good to have a set routine for them to get into. I don't do any shooting as it creates long lines

I wouldnt do static stretches with them but they are not too young for dynamic stretches/movements.

The very first thing a warm up should do is increase the heart rate which in turn increases blood flow to the muscles (i know they are not likely to pull a hammy at that age but good habits n all that) Have them play a 2 minute game of tig job done. Then move onto a little bit dynamic stretches, you can do this with a ball to keep them interested.

Then maybe a wee bit passing drill and finally onto a 4v1 small game you talk about. It only has to take 15 mins at that age.

Also BTID when you are talking about games/drills becoming routine have you ever tried a game even 4 v 4 with each team with a different objective? This varies the "routine" element with the transition period having to be thought about. For example 1 team is trying to score into a small goal whilst other team is trying to get 5 passes or 2 overlapping runs or the list can be endless you can play this with the whole squad by opening the area and challenging one team to find a 2v1 overlap or a triangle pass sequence i.e. rb/cm/rm these kind or situations arise in every game but the key for players is recognising these opportunities.

Good luck!!

Wee team lol they are bigger than me. When my son left the 2005 I stopped coaching them was out of things for a few months coached a successful school team who won league and cup double now with the local club u16's in Edin leagues. We moved from Div 2 to Div and find ouselvsa mid table but still in a few cups with a semi on Sunday but more importantly trying to play football no matter what the opposition/results. The boys are enjoying things.....I think, so am I so all good. Find it good coaching a bunch of lads who are not my sons strange as it may seem I think I am a better coach for it

I wouldnt do static stretches with them but they are not too young for dynamic stretches/movements.

The very first thing a warm up should do is increase the heart rate which in turn increases blood flow to the muscles (i know they are not likely to pull a hammy at that age but good habits n all that) Have them play a 2 minute game of tig job done. Then move onto a little bit dynamic stretches, you can do this with a ball to keep them interested.

Then maybe a wee bit passing drill and finally onto a 4v1 small game you talk about. It only has to take 15 mins at that age.

Thanks for advice will take note and sort a routine out that they do every game which will hopefully get them in the mindset for the games.

Most games kick off earlier than scheduled due to pitch bookings etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Wee update, well we managed to get ourselves into a cup final which everyone is looking forward to but before this we have the small matter of The Easter Open in Holland on 25th March. Anyone got any experience of this event?

Dont know about the players but I can hardly wait

Wee update, well we managed to get ourselves into a cup final which everyone is looking forward to but before this we have the small matter of The Easter Open in Holland on 25th March. Anyone got any experience of this event?

Dont know about the players but I can hardly wait

Congrats on the final and all the best

We're also going to the Easter Open next week

I don't know if you are already aware of these places, but keepitonthedeck and four four two have some good ideas for different drills and exercises depending on what you want to work on. If you follow them on Facebook they can be pretty handy.

The St Mirren guy who was next to our fives game last year every week's favourite drill was to get the boys to run in and get a bib and back to the wall, then spend 5 minutes calling one of them a p***k etc because he 'dinny tell ye tae put it oan'

I felt inspired being around such a coaching Goliath. Should try it lads, looks a great laugh.

Started with the Development season games now and the kids are showing some great potential. We lost a couple of talented players to other teams but the remaining ones have improved to good level in the games but sadly we dont always get the same desire at training. Any suggestions regarding bring the same desire to training?

Started with the Development season games now and the kids are showing some great potential. We lost a couple of talented players to other teams but the remaining ones have improved to good level in the games but sadly we dont always get the same desire at training. Any suggestions regarding bring the same desire to training?

If you have the bodies to follow through with it then use attitude in training to determine game time as far as possible.

I've only tended to have issues in training when we're struggling for numbers and boys know theyre gonna play no matter what they do at training so if you can it's good to reward those who work hard. Keeps everyone on their toes and working hard

Really do believe desire comes from within unfortunately. You can't teach hunger the person has to want it. Keep setting high standards with the training and hopefully the players have the same aspirations you do.

Archived