Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

But hey it could also be a way to bring all those kids who run about Brucehill in old firm tops into the fold at Dumbarton and with additional 3g parks ensure that they get involved with youth teams instead of young teams thus negating the need for razor wire and sentries :P, helping Dumbarton get its next generation of young fan. Its shit to see so many kids in Dumbarton and Clydebank going to see the OF when you’ve got Dumbarton in cup finals and playing in the Championship and Clydebank on the verge of a return to senior football (albeit slowly), but I do think investment in facilities at grass roots level is the first step in combatting this!

Absolutely.

Can't disagree with you, the Havoc playing fields are all but empty now, think only 1 public football pitch remains.

It would be a decent enough location.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So how are you looking for a potential game versus ourselves?

I think we should get Stephen Grindlay signed up for the two games if it comes to it.

At least you don't have Prunty to relegate us. I'd rather Arbroath put us down than Alloa. I don't think I could face seeing Fleming do that.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No but I do think a shared site would have been preferable to Youngs farm, however for me, Havoc would be my pick if i was a Dumbarton fan and staying at the rock wasn’t feasible.
The can you imagine the traffic on Renton Road on a saturday for access to the ground, madness.

Staying where we are is by far and away the best and most feasible option. It doesn't make our owners 2 million quid though.

Staying where we are is by far and away the best and most feasible option. It doesn't make our owners 2 million quid though.

Unfortunately thats the real issue isn’t it? Unscrupulous owners looking for a quick buck!

I think the argument that the rock can’t be developed further is madness, I can see so much potential at that site. You’d easily get a sportscotland grant for a 3g pitch and could get funding to improve the floodlighting etc too.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think the argument that the rock can’t be developed further is madness, I can see so much potential at that site. You’d easily get a sportscotland grant for a 3g pitch and could get funding to improve the floodlighting etc too.

If the Trust were the clubs owners (or even just someone who gave a shit about the club) we could look at that. Our owners have waited 10 years to see their profit disappear in one meeting. I'm not sure they'll be patient enough to stay where we are at the Rock and slowly claw back their money through renting out a 3G pitch or the like. 

If the Trust were the clubs owners (or even just someone who gave a shit about the club) we could look at that. Our owners have waited 10 years to see their profit disappear in one meeting. I'm not sure they'll be patient enough to stay where we are at the Rock and slowly claw back their money through renting out a 3G pitch or the like. 

No my worry now is that they will do a Steedman to you. Is the golden share thing still there to protect them from shafting you?

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Unfortunately thats the real issue isn’t it? Unscrupulous owners looking for a quick buck!

There is potential at the Rock. Absolutely. Unfortunately as The Moonster says our owners have no interest in realising it, whilst the Council wouldn't be too keen on making the site any bigger (maybe with community changing rooms or the like) - and I'm sure the floodlight thing was mentioned as being a planning issue a while back? Be some laugh if the residents of the houses built after the football ground were objecting to brighter floodlights.

3G is bad though. I'd hate to see us playing on an Astro.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

On the pitch we can't score goals and, for the past few games at least, we can't defend. We like to start our best LB and best striker on the bench, and our best RB is injured.

Off the pitch...well, if you've read the last few pages you'll be pretty much in the loop.

Given our record in Angus this season however (P2 W2 F4 A1) I'm confident 8)

Obviously we won’t be as tough opponents as what you’re facing at the moment though so maybe you’ll find it easier. I can’t make my mind up whether I’d rather play yourselves or Raith.

I don’t think Raith are any great shakes I just think that they are a tough team to beat, very good defensively. Ayr on the other hand on their day are deadly going forward, I think they could be a very decent championship side if they could sort out their keeper and centre halves.

Just hoping to avoid Ayr to be honest, but between yourselves and Raith it’s a tough call. Would maybe fancy yourselves only for the fact your team will have had a really rough season.

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No my worry now is that they will do a Steedman to you. Is the golden share thing still there to protect them from shafting you?

Golden Share exists. There's some debate over its legal standing though. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No but I do think a shared site would have been preferable to Youngs farm, however for me, Havoc would be my pick if i was a Dumbarton fan and staying at the rock wasn’t feasible.
The can you imagine the traffic on Renton Road on a saturday for access to the ground, madness.

Can you imagine match day traffic trying to get to Havoc too? Plus, getting there by public transport would be just as bad as getting to Young's Farm site.

18 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Poty vote on saturday with the awards do immediately after the falkirk game on the 21st.

Carsy and Wardrop.

Really?  Hopefully they can move the awards do until after the playoffs (once we are confirmed in them).

Has to be Dowie for POTY? Difficult for young player as Wardrop and Boomer both stood out until christmas. Since then they have both really struggled with fitness... if Boomer can get back in the team now he may edge it for me.

I started the season unsure about Dowser and I'm ending the season with doubts too.

As much as froxy gave tremarco a free run for the cup final goal, I still think Dowser could do more to block it before it gets across the goal face. There's been other instances too where we've lost a goal and he gets enraged, but I've thought he could have done better. Carsy has been mr consistent for me.

3 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

I started the season unsure about Dowser and I'm ending the season with doubts too.

As much as froxy gave tremarco a free run for the cup final goal, I still think Dowser could do more to block it before it gets across the goal face. There's been other instances too where we've lost a goal and he gets enraged, but I've thought he could have done better. Carsy has been mr consistent for me.

Well aye, consistently ordinary as we've watched him and Hutton repeatedly play the part of the bulls as opposing midfielders take the role of the matadors -perhaps this is what has been getting Andy Dowie enraged.  Of the experienced players Dowie has been head and shoulders above everyone this season.

21 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I think the floodlight thing is a nonsense. The requirements should be the same for all four divisions, but that doesn't excuse the fact they've been neglected and that issue has been swept under the carpet for a few years.

There isn't specifically a "floodlight thing". There are rules however on the level of SFA Club Licence required for participation in the higher two divisions. Unless a dispensation is granted by the SPFL then it is a requirement to hold a Bronze level Stadium Licence to play in the top two divisions. It is only a requirement for an Entry Level Stadium Licence to play in  League One or League Two.

There are obviously a number of differences in the Bronze and Entry criteria for the stadium, though it may well be the floodlight one is the only one that fails you? At Bronze level the floodlights must provide a minimum of 300 lux light. Entry level only requires 200 lux.

Other factors are:
 - The referee's changing room needs to have seating for 5 people, not 4.
 - There needs to be a covered technical area (clearly you have this).
 - You have to have cover for at least 500 spectators rather than 100 (you clearly have that too).
 - You have to have a Disability Access Officer, who is active in the role.
 - Disabled facilities need to be of a higher standard.

That's about it for differences in the ground criteria really.