Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Silverton End said:

I can honestly say that if Stevie the Negative Wonder is still Manager for next Season, (whatever League Sons are in) I won't be renewing my Season Ticket. I've watched Sons on & off since a kid In the mid-1970's & I'd rather we lost 5-3 giving it a go than 1,2 or 3-0 with no fight.

I shall be picking my matches to attend & paying at the gate.

The clubs problems are well documented but if we take the facts of our current situation it's that we have a hefty maintenance bill to service at our current stadium. We could potentially be in League 1 next season. We could potentially be up for sale. We won't have cash to get rid of Stevie Aitken who has a year remaining on his deal. Can I ask if would you rather we sacked Stevie, taking on a debt from somewhere, and got in an out of work manager (as we couldn't afford compensation for an in work manager) as replacement?

For me where we are now isn't good, there's much room for improvement and I do fear the drop. But if we do drop, Aitken knows League 1 inside out and give me Stevie over every single muppet that gets listed for every job vacancy going these days. He has his faults, aye, but last year he built a good squad (for a club like ours) and has done so at Stranraer too. I think we need to back him until his deal runs out and see where we are then, right now we have bigger issues to deal with.

I should add you are entitled to spend your money as you wish, I don't want this to seem like I'm having a go at folk who want to stay away, I understand that viewpoint. I'm just questioning what the alternative realistically is.

Edited by The Moonster

Decided to spend my morning working out our shots on target stats from the 25 games excluding Brechin - so here goes. All data is taken from the SPFL website.

• We've had 91 shots on target in the 25 games, scoring 12 goals
  • That gives us a conversion percentage of 13.2%
  • We score with 1 in every 7.6 shots on target
  • We average 3.64 shots on target per game 
  • We've only recorded more shots on target than our opponents twice all season
  • That was v St Mirren in December (6-0/1-0) and against QOS in January (8-5/0-0)
  • The most shots on target we've had in one game was 12, in the 0-1 defeat to Morton last month. They also had 12.
  • Our opponents have registered 174 shots on target in that time, scoring 39 goals
  • That gives them a conversion percentage of 22.4%
  • Opponents score with 1 in 4.7 shots on target
  • Our opponents have averaged 6.96 shots on target per game
  • The only team not to have at least four shots on target against us in a single game this season were St Mirren in December

Decided to spend my morning working out our shots on target stats from the 25 games excluding Brechin - so here goes. All data is taken from the SPFL website.
  • We've had 91 shots on target in the 25 games, scoring 12 goals
  • That gives us a conversion percentage of 13.2%
  • We score with 1 in every 7.6 shots on target
  • We average 3.64 shots on target per game 
  • We've only recorded more shots on target than our opponents twice all season
  • That was v St Mirren in December (6-0/1-0) and against QOS in January (8-5/0-0)
  • The most shots on target we've had in one game was 12, in the 0-1 defeat to Morton last month. They also had 12.
  • Our opponents have registered 174 shots on target in that time, scoring 39 goals
  • That gives them a conversion percentage of 22.4%
  • Opponents score with 1 in 4.7 shots on target
  • Our opponents have averaged 6.96 shots on target per game
  • The only team not to have at least four shots on target against us in a single game this season were St Mirren in December

Google the name 'Charles Reep' So8....[emoji6]

I can't help but contrast the last two Saturdays in terms of the support for the club. A meaningful cup final is always going to motivate people to attend but it came as quite a jolt to meet so many folk who have just now melted away from regular attendance.
For me, our presence in the Championship has been largely one of distinction but things are now fraying badly, and as for the missing supporters, well I suppose folk have just become fed up of watching dour, defensive anti-football - unfortunately for some of us quite a number of those left are in utter denial and prefer to vent their fury on match officials.
And no, other than a grim denouement to this season I don't have any idea on where we go from here.
One thing is for sure; under Brabco's continued benign neglect it's very likely that more fans will choose the selective option that SE has alluded to above.

Just as in the aftermath of Bonnyrigg, it's a time for cool heads as far as the managerial situation goes. For every Steve Clark or Ian Murray there are 3-4 Owen Coyles or John Hughes. I heard Hughes on Off the Ball yesterday lamenting his time at Raith. "We came in and had to work with the players we had" as if this had come as some sort of surprise to him.  The last two performances were indeed rank, but they were against very good sides who caught us at a low ebb.  Putting the (much) bigger issues aside for a moment and concentrating on the football side if, as is beginning to look a distinct possibility, we lose our Championship status via the play offs,  we have a manager in place who has proven himself at that level. If we stay up we will have a manager in place who has kept us up for three seasons running.

What we don't have it seems is a fighter, someone who will get everyone else up for it and battle till the end. We arent going to win games being the better footballing side, we know we dont have the players or budget for that. What frustrates me is no-one stepping up and flying into a tackle, chasing lost causes or trying to make something happen. Everyone seems to be hiding at the moment. We're ending the season at a whimper and God help us im the playoffs. Ayr, raith or whoever it is will be licking their lips at potentially facing us.

The problem is that to even get to face Raith or Ayr to stay up, Sons will need to get past either Arbroath or Alloa in a semi-final first.
Hope you guys survive but you probably need a wee bit more of an upturn in form to get through if I’m honest.

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The problem is that to even get to face Raith or Ayr to stay up, Sons will need to get past either Arbroath or Alloa in a semi-final first.
Hope you guys survive but you probably need a wee bit more of an upturn in form to get through if I’m honest.

That's not an unfair assessment of where we are just now.

There is no need for DFC to move from where they are.

The fact that the club have no budget for the upkeep of the present relatively new stadium is not WDCs problem.

The redevelopment of Holm Park to put a 3G pitch down for the community has got nothing to do with any planning application for a new stadium in Dumbarton either.

1 hour ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

The fact that the club have no budget for the upkeep of the present relatively new stadium is not WDCs problem.

The redevelopment of Holm Park to put a 3G pitch down for the community has got nothing to do with any planning application for a new stadium in Dumbarton either.

A couple of fairly contradictory statements there.

The perceived need for the club to move and the current concerns over a lack of commercial activity and regular revenue from the current ground are undeniably linked. Moving would provide the facilities that would potentially generate the revenue needed to bolster the club's finances. That doesn't mean that staying is fatal but the reality is that finances are tight at a club like Dumbarton and always will be. We need to make more money in order to ensure that the club is in a proper financial state. If we don't have the cash immediately available to address the maintenance issues at the ground then a major part in that is the lack of revenue. We've got a facility that makes us very little outside of a Dumbarton home game.

Could that be done at the existing ground? We could certainly do more than we currently do and it should be a priority that our club is run on a far more professional basis than it is right now. Unfortunately focusing solely on moving or staying is, and always was, a false argument. Regardless of the decision that the council made,the club were always in a position where significant change was, and is still, needed. We could have tried to make those changes as part of the move. Staying put doesn't mean carrying on as we are - that takes the club down a very dangerous road. The concerns with the club's professional business culture and lack of revenue are still there. The decision by the council to reject outline planning permission forces us to face up to the reality of staying put for at least the short to medium term and that isn't business as usual.

We need a complete change of culture within Dumbarton FC, regardless of where we're playing our football.

23 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

A couple of fairly contradictory statements there.

The perceived need for the club to move and the current concerns over a lack of commercial activity and regular revenue from the current ground are undeniably linked. Moving would provide the facilities that would potentially generate the revenue needed to bolster the club's finances. That doesn't mean that staying is fatal but the reality is that finances are tight at a club like Dumbarton and always will be. We need to make more money in order to ensure that the club is in a proper financial state. If we don't have the cash immediately available to address the maintenance issues at the ground then a major part in that is the lack of revenue. We've got a facility that makes us very little outside of a Dumbarton home game.

Could that be done at the existing ground? We could certainly do more than we currently do and it should be a priority that our club is run on a far more professional basis than it is right now. Unfortunately focusing solely on moving or staying is, and always was, a false argument. Regardless of the decision that the council made,the club were always in a position where significant change was, and is still, needed. We could have tried to make those changes as part of the move. Staying put doesn't mean carrying on as we are - that takes the club down a very dangerous road. The concerns with the club's professional business culture and lack of revenue are still there. The decision by the council to reject outline planning permission forces us to face up to the reality of staying put for at least the short to medium term and that isn't business as usual.

We need a complete change of culture within Dumbarton FC, regardless of where we're playing our football.

None of the above is WDCs fault or has anything to do with what Clydebank FC are doing was my point!

3 hours ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

These thing are all true in isolation.

The stadium is more than adequate for DFC.The only reason for moving is for property speculators to make money.
What happens in 10 years time when the new stadium needs repairs? Do you move again?

Clydebank didn’t need to move.

When they couldn’t move they were sold as a franchise and exist now as a junior club.

There you go, we can all make brief comments which are true but have no context.

The stadium is more than adequate for DFC.The only reason for moving is for property speculators to make money.
What happens in 10 years time when the new stadium needs repairs? Do you move again?

The stadium as a place for a football club to play football is adequate.

The stadium as a facility for a business to use to maximise income is not.

Without money, the ability of the club to use the stadium for the former purpose is undeniably limited. For far too long there has been a refusal for many to face up to the fact that we as a club live hand to mouth. It's a difficult existence and one that sees us only one or two potholes away from the wheels coming off the wagon.

The days of burying heads in the sand and thinking that everything can carry on regardless are over. Football clubs like Dumbarton need to do more than simply host football matches. The current ground is chronically underused. It brings in a minimal amount of revenue. That isn't sustainable for clubs like Dumbarton. The harsh truth is that clubs that cannot do more to generate revenue are going to find life exceptionally difficult. As a fan it's never nice to think of fans as customers or football as a business. Reality check - if a club can't afford to pay it's way then it either downsizes massively or it risks it's very future.

New ground or current ground is an entirely incorrect argument. Whether it's at the rock or elsewhere? The club needs fundamental change. Moving was, and remains, a means to an end for the owners. That end is clearly now in need of a significant rethink. That's entirely for the owners to do. It doesn't change the need for a fundamental change within the club. It simply means that for at least the immediate future that change has to happen with what we have to work with at Castle Road.

2 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Clydebank didn’t need to move.

When they couldn’t move they were sold as a franchise and exist now as a junior club.

There you go, we can all make brief comments which are true but have no context.

You are correct,there was no need for us to move!

Is that what you want for DFC?

From outside the story looks sadly familiar.Blame the bad old council.