Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Consolidate said:

I’m not sure I see any sinister manoeuvres here. Clydebank want to tart up an existing ground whilst Brabco wanted to construct something entirely new at a poorly accessed swamp. Apples and pears surely?

Succinct & spot on.

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Given the very terse statement which has appeared on OS I may have now have an answer to my own question above.  And it still really rankles that Dumbarton Football Club is having to put its name to this, whilst the proponents of the move remain in the background.

If only the worst thing about that statement was the phrase "at this moment in time".

Succinct & spot on.

Indeed. Clydebank rebuilt from Ground Zero and have worked assiduously towards re-establishing themselves in a permanent home.
Dumbarton's owners, on the other hand, have worked equally assiduously to starve a perfectly adequate facility of investment whilst conducting a 'bad neighbours' campaign of black propaganda in order to further their prrofit-driven aims.
Perhaps folk should carefully consider the issues before we rush to judgement about perceived parochial bias.

33 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Indeed. Clydebank rebuilt from Ground Zero and have worked assiduously towards re-establishing themselves in a permanent home.
Dumbarton's owners, on the other hand, have worked equally assiduously to starve a perfectly adequate facility of investment whilst conducting a 'bad neighbours' campaign of black propaganda in order to further their prrofit-driven aims.
Perhaps folk should carefully consider the issues before we rush to judgement about perceived parochial bias.

The voting seems to have been along parochial lines though and not for the first time.

48 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I can't think of an owner of DFC in my lifetime that wasn't profit driven. The amazing thing was that most of them took a profit too.

The voting seems to have been along parochial lines though and not for the first time.
I don't think there's any mileage in pursuing this line Wilf; I'm struggling to fathom why Clydebank councillors voting against the proposal is given any more importance than two local Tories. I'd also heard that the SNP group had been encouraged by their Group Leader to vote in favour - why exactly ? Can't councillors be trusted to reach their own decisions ?

We also need to bear in mind that the Planning Committee had recommended rejection, not to mention that there is hardly a Sons fan who was convinced of the plan's merits.

25 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't think there's any mileage in pursuing this line Wilf; I'm struggling to fathom why Clydebank councillors voting against the proposal is given any more importance than two local Tories. I'd also heard that the SNP group had been encouraged by their Group Leader to vote in favour - why exactly ? Can't councillors be trusted to reach their own decisions ?

We also need to bear in mind that the Planning Committee had recommended rejection, not to mention that there is hardly a Sons fan who was convinced of the plan's merits.

There is no mileage in it OKI, however, in these times isn't it heart-warming to find that the Labour and SNP councillors in Dumbarton and  Clydebank can separately unite on something?  The vote seems to have been along Dumbarton/Clydebank lines rather than party lines. Parochialism is alive and well.

Yeah we were all pretty ambivalent about the plan but when push came to shove Sonstrust supported it after a survey of members. That's pretty much because the alternative might be worse, as I think we may be about to discover. Lets hope that Dumbarton FC's future doesn't in any way  rely on another cooncil vote.

Of course there is no point in pursuing it but the fact that the vote is so clearly split is relevant. With the planners being against it the only way that the council could vote in favour would be if they felt the community benefits outweighed the planning difficulties. Dumbarton and vale councillors clearly felt they did. Clydebank councillors, having no interest in dumbarton, voted against.

I’m not sure I see any sinister manoeuvres here. Clydebank want to tart up an existing ground whilst Brabco wanted to construct something entirely new at a poorly accessed swamp. Apples and pears surely?

To an extent it's apples and pears but both scenarios involve football clubs. One of the main arguments against DFCs new ground was access for cars. There would be queues on the A82 on match days.We are talking about crowds of a few hundred. In a years time Clydebank intend turning senior with a view to joining the EOSL or a new west league. So within a few years it is perfectly feasible that they could be in league two, certainly the lowland league. They could easily be getting crowds of up to five hundred. They would not get in to the league without the ground being licenced and that will only happen because of the money being spent by the council. So the council are paving the way for potentially increased crowds at Holm park. Is access at Holm Park any better? Queues on to Dumbarton Road? In one case it appears to me that some councillors are sympathetic to the community contribution made by a football club but in the other they are not

I know for a fact the Clydebank councillors do not give a damn about Dumbarton as a whole and are still bitter about Clydebank District being amalgamated with us lot up here. I've asked one of them about it and they said " I don't care about Dumbarton, it's not my area". 

Interesting times ahead for the club for sure. 

I tuned out from the stadium convo about 6 months ago as I got bored with the back and forth, so apologies if this has been raised/ answered. 

What happens now with the walk way and parking/ visitor centre for the castle? Surely the council have kind of screwed themself as now that won’t go ahead?

I can honestly say that if Stevie the Negative Wonder is still Manager for next Season, (whatever League Sons are in) I won't be renewing my Season Ticket. I've watched Sons on & off since a kid In the mid-1970's & I'd rather we lost 5-3 giving it a go than 1,2 or 3-0 with no fight.

I shall be picking my matches to attend & paying at the gate.

My immediate reaction to the last two games has been how the f*** have we amassed 27 points ?
Today confirmed what some of us have long suspected, that Dowie, Wardrop and McLaughlin have been the glue holding us together.
Today was a shambles; it's thankfully seldom I'm ever embarrassed by Sons but sadly this was one of those occasions.
I've got the dentist this Friday and hospitality on Saturday, and I know which one I'm dreading.

12 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I can honestly say that if Stevie the Negative Wonder is still Manager for next Season, (whatever League Sons are in) I won't be renewing my Season Ticket. I've watched Sons on & off since a kid In the mid-1970's & I'd rather we lost 5-3 giving it a go than 1,2 or 3-0 with no fight.

I shall be picking my matches to attend & paying at the gate.

Whilst I'm not taking such drastic action as that, today made my decision to miss my first league game since March 2012 (against Brechin, it finished 2-2) on Tuesday evening an easy one.

I had been toying with the idea of going to Tannadice, even though it would be tight with leaving work, and with the prospect of only a few hours sleep before I was in the office on Wednesday, but there's no chance I'm going for it now. Hopefully it will go like the other games I've missed and we'll get a nice three points - but I can't see it, not even against a pretty poor United team.

To quote my Granda, I'm scunnered with us at the moment.

What we don't have it seems is a fighter, someone who will get everyone else up for it and battle till the end. We arent going to win games being the better footballing side, we know we dont have the players or budget for that. What frustrates me is no-one stepping up and flying into a tackle, chasing lost causes or trying to make something happen. Everyone seems to be hiding at the moment. We're ending the season at a whimper and God help us im the playoffs. Ayr, raith or whoever it is will be licking their lips at potentially facing us.

Assuming Dowie was injured today and not dropped; I think part of our problem has been inconsistent selections on top of the injuries.

Different back four for the last 12 games i think. At least. (Looked back, surprised myself, got bored, chucked it.) Put the different wide midfield options through as well and its no wonder theres a lack of understanding at times amongst the players. Our most consistently picked players, and who show the best understanding, are carswell and hutton.

I dont expect Aitkens comments to achieve much unless he stands by them and drops some players. Imo he's made mistakes in bringing players back from injury and picking them straight away.

Aitken must now find a selection and shape that will see us more potent up front. Take the three goals from corners at brechin out of it and there's precious few goals from open play.

Be glad for brechin, that would be us if it had been raith that stayed up.