19 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Unfortunately yesterday's game panned out exactly as I had feared, as all the preceding week I had felt that the Oswestry experience was the final before the Final.  I haven't watched the game on catch-up and I maybe won't, but in truth it was a pretty God-awful affair between two struggling teams.  In the end ICT ground us down as for once the full-time training proved decisive.

We can argue long into the night about refereeing decisions and team selection, and from Sons' point of view both were questionable, but recrimination is futile.  After the best part of 60 years I saw my team take the field in a meaningful Cup Final backed by a sizeable and good-natured travelling support and that will live with me in the memory bank.  As for the furore about the passionless ICT fans and the 'Diddy Cup' tag, well the joyous outpouring behind Gal's goal at the winner rather put a lie to that.

A few points though; I felt that the gamble with Tom Walsh backfired and I agree with BBPF's opinion on Beany.  Mark Stewart is not however fully fit and neither is Boomer, although some of the critics on the Cup thread are obviously unaware of all the good performances he's put in this season.  Donaldson got MOTM because we stood off him; I could play square passes all day in that situation.  I though Gal, Smith, Mango, Hutton and Dowie were excellent.  Handling continues to confound me that he was once a rising star at Hibs.

We have no time to mope, and arguably the two games this week are as difficult as we could have.  At least Stirling, Nisbet and young Wilson give us some options.  I still expect us to be in the play-off spot as never mind the part-time thing and the rather patchwork squad, we simply are not cynical enough; ICT again demonstrated that yesterday.

Well done to everyone involved in yesterday's effort, if cups were awarded for marketing we'd have silverware in the cabinet today.

If cups were awarded for marketing then your club would be one of Scotland's most successful ones. 

I've already had my say on Saturday on the Cups thread, and I had accepted the Fates, but having now watched the second-half incident involving Craig Barr being penalised following a corner I'm not so magnanimous.  Andrew Dallas, despite being well positioned, appears to have got that call very wrong indeed and on such fine margins are games decided -  I think we got a sair decision there.

:o Just realised that I've now contradicted my earlier post on here re refereeing decisions - nurse, the screens !!

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've already had my say on Saturday on the Cups thread, and I had accepted the Fates, but having now watched the second-half incident involving Craig Barr being penalised following a corner I'm not so magnanimous.  Andrew Dallas, despite being well positioned, appears to have got that call very wrong indeed and on such fine margins are games decided -  I think we got a sair decision there.

Both Dallas and his assistant could not have better views of that incident - there are no players obstructing view of the incident from either of their angles - and yet still the decision goes against Craig Barr.  He's a truly awful referee and it does our game a disservice to continue to allow him to ref at the top level.

Can anyone tell me the exact time of the penalty claim on SonsTV (or on the iPlayer)?

I don't think watching it back will be good for me, but I need to see it for myself now. Certainly at the time it looked strong.

18 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Can anyone tell me the exact time of the penalty claim on SonsTV (or on the iPlayer)?

I don't think watching it back will be good for me, but I need to see it for myself now. Certainly at the time it looked strong.

9.53 in the SonsTV highlights.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

9.53 in the SonsTV highlights.

Jesus Christ. I thought I had a decent view, but his is even better. You can see his undershirt and everything. Not only is it inexcusable to miss that, it's also totally beyond comprehension to award a free-kick the opposite way. He's either totally inept (likely) or an absolutely bottle merchant (again highly likely).

I'm seething. Dallas can get directly into the sea.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Jesus Christ. I thought I had a decent view, but his is even better. You can see his undershirt and everything. Not only is it inexcusable to miss that, it's also totally beyond comprehension to award a free-kick the opposite way. He's either totally inept (likely) or an absolutely bottle merchant (again highly likely).

Aye, that's it for me. I actually accept that Barr isn't completely innocent - he's got a hold of the Caley player but not any more than you would see at every single set piece. If he'd given a goal kick I could perhaps accept that he thought both players were guilty of fouling but to give it against us doesn't make sense to me.

Just realised that I've now contradicted my earlier post on here re refereeing decisions - nurse, the screens !!

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

What you don't see is that Mango had his hand on the defender's shoulder as he's about to go for the ball.

I don't think the contact was enough from Mango to give the free kick against him, but it certainly looked like he was trying to exert a bit of force on the defender to get the ball ahead of him.

There was a close up replay that shows Mango on the defender's shoulder. Ref may well have given it for Mango trying to climb/prevent the defender from challenging.

Certainly not the worst decision Dallas made on Saturday

The penalty was a stonewaller. Also, McLaughlin should've walked for that challenge in the 1st half.

Both incidents sum Dallas up.

Donaldson should have walked for his 2nd half challenge. It was as cynical as they get.

What you don't see is that Mango had his hand on the defender's shoulder as he's about to go for the ball.

I don't think the contact was enough from Mango to give the free kick against him, but it certainly looked like he was trying to exert a bit of force on the defender to get the ball ahead of him.

There was a close up replay that shows Mango on the defender's shoulder. Ref may well have given it for Mango trying to climb/prevent the defender from challenging.

Certainly not the worst decision Dallas made on Saturday

Interestingly there's not a lot of shouts for a penalty from our players...then again perhaps because Barr is constantly being penalised in the box?

Interestingly there's not a lot of shouts for a penalty from our players...then again perhaps because Barr is constantly being penalised in the box?

To be fair there isn’t a player within ten yards when he blows. Three then approach him. How likely is it that he’s going to change his decision?

I thought it was stonewaller at the time with his shirt being nearly ripped off. The angles on the replays don't show what happened in the lead up so it is not possible to tell if a foul was committed before.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

There was a game last season at The Rock (might have been Hibs), where we put a cross into the box and Gregor Buchanan's marker actually had Gregor's shirt pulled up over the back of his head. Needless to say, no penalty was awarded.

There was a game last season at The Rock (might have been Hibs), where we put a cross into the box and Gregor Buchanan's marker actually had Gregor's shirt pulled up over the back of his head. Needless to say, no penalty was awarded.
Pretty sure it was Darren McGregor. Buchy approached the refeee with his top still half way down his arms and was politely told to go away.

Received an interesting email this morning from the boys club I am involved with. It is Asking all of us to email all the councillors involved in the planning application of youngs farm (their emails are attached) to ask them to overturn the decision made last week to reject the proposed development.