Sons' sorrow

Hill overstretched clearing the ball. It's left us pretty light in the middle of the park as you'd expect too.

It's a shame because (for 7 minutes at least) Mango was looking absolutely graceful in central midfield. Smashing into tackles, and firing in a piledriver that Jordan Hart did well to save.

Hopefully Hill is back soon enough.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A serious question - what exactly happens if we don't have eleven fit players to comprise a team on Saturday ?

We forfeit the match, I assume. It's always mentioned that a 3-0 victory is awarded but I'm not sure if there's any truth in it.

These injuries better not be serious. Desperately need a centre mid that covers everything. Still think we need another option than nade, tires too easily.

Far far too early of course but I think johnston is going to frustrate us.

A very disappointing result tonight I'm sure we're all in agreement, but from where I'm sat, I can't say I'll lose sleep over it.

It'd be great to win an early-season cup game sometime in the next millennium, but come May, this'll matter not a jot.

It's concerning that we seem to have picked up what, now five injuries (?) until this point and not even kicked a league ball yet.

That's the hand we've been dealt and it's up to Stevie to manage the squad appropriately which he'll live or die by.

On Ally Roy he certainly doesn't seem to be getting rave reviews from others, and I'm not for one minute suggesting they're not accurate, but I'm mindful of those who said similar of David Smith, Jim Lister and as recently as Stuart Carswell, so I'll be happy to give the lad a chance and trust in Aitken that he's got something decent rather than being Darren Miller mk2.

Anyone know why Mango's goal was chalked off? Barry F Cook seemed to point to the 'keeper, but there only looked to be two Ayr players around him.

Anyway. We didn't take some golden chances, had little luck with refereeing decisons and were overran in the middle of the park. Ayr, to their credit, scored two absolute crackers, albeit somewhat helped by the fact we looked scared to put in a challenge.

Jamie Adams smashing Nadé in the face with an elbow, the whole stadium hearing the noise, and Barry Cook awarding a free-kick to Ayr just about sums things up.

Hurrumph. Some positives. A lot of negativies injury wise, and I'm going home to throw darts at a picture of Barry Cook.

This tournament needs to change a bit for us part-timers imo. Teams are scurrying around trying to find players and, by the looks of it, we'll struggle to fill 11 shirts on Saturday. It's a lot to ask, especially when clubs aren't keen on sending players out on loan this early in the season.

Anyone know if the SeaGal is carrying an injury? He's looked decent in pre-season, and I would've had him on before Roy.

Anyone know why Mango's goal was chalked off? Barry F Cook seemed to point to the 'keeper, but there only looked to be two Ayr players around him.

Anyway. We didn't take some golden chances, had little luck with refereeing decisons and were overran in the middle of the park. Ayr, to their credit, scored two absolute crackers, albeit somewhat helped by the fact we looked scared to put in a challenge.

Jamie Adams smashing Nadé in the face with an elbow, the whole stadium hearing the noise, and Barry Cook awarding a free-kick to Ayr just about sums things up.

Hurrumph. Some positives. A lot of negativies injury wise, and I'm going home to throw darts at a picture of Barry Cook.

This tournament needs to change a bit for us part-timers imo. Teams are scurrying around trying to find players and, by the looks of it, we'll struggle to fill 11 shirts on Saturday. It's a lot to ask, especially when clubs aren't keen on sending players out on loan this early in the season.

Anyone know if the SeaGal is carrying an injury? He's looked decent in pre-season, and I would've had him on before Roy.

I'm not fully convinced by Seagal yet but I'd have him playing wide before Johnston who really doesn't look comfortable there.

Perhaps another indication that he's carrying a knock.

Another cause for concern is the fact that a lot of our players who aren't considered injury prone are dropping like flies. I wouldn't even consider Grant Gal injury prone, he's been unlucky with 2 different sore yins.

The own goal was a bit of a horror show from Dowie. I'm not sure he needs to stretch for it and theres no way he can control where any touch is going to go. Nade did well getting the equaliser and on another day could have had a couple more. Unfortunately our missed chances hurt us as Ayr scored a couple of really nicely finished goals. They were 2 chances that they should never have had and they highlight our biggest problem all night.

Midfield.

Gallacher in goals did ok. He made a couple of good saves, particularly in the first half. Our back 4 didnt have a terrible game (Dowie's OG apart) and I thought Craig Barr had a really solid game. The problem came with who was in front of them. I thought we created a few reasonable chances and I wouldn't expect our guys to be clinical in front of goal this early in the season. Losing Hill was a serious blow as it forced Barr back into defence and left us with a midfield 2 of Prior and Wilson. Prior is a young, inexperienced player who gives us effort but who needs to develop. I thought Wilson was really poor in possession. His first touch was heavy, his passing was poor and he routinely played himself into trouble. There was no fluidity in our play and our wide men didnt really do enough. In the 2nd half we completely lost the midfield battle and the 2 Ayr goals came from players allowed a criminal amount of time and space. Carswell in the middle of the park is closing them down. Without Carswell? We looked disorganised and lightweight. I know he's not a big bruiser but his positional sense is usually very good and he's generally where he needs to be to break up the opposition attack. McCrorie did it well in the latter half of last season. Sparky did it for us in the first half of the season. We've got a serious problem if Gallagher and Carswell are going to be out. Barr can obviously push forward to give our midfield a bit of dig but it's reliant on Dougie Hill not being out for too long. I think we've got the makings of a decent partnership between Nade and Stewart. Nade won a lot of headers but the understanding and anticipation just wasnt there for Stewart to really make use of the knock downs. When he was punted wide left later in the 2nd half, that effectively finished it for us.

We were ok in the first half. The game changed when Ayr took control of the midfield in the 2nd half. It highlighted just how big a problem we have in the middle of the park. We need to hope it's a problem we can solve because tonight highlighted what happens when we're not in the midfield battle.

Some moments of magic from Nade, Stewart and Walsh up top but apart from that there wasn't much to get excited about. Couple of good saves from Gallagher and Mango Barr won a lot in the air and scored a great header that was harshly chopped off. 

The main issue is one that will be with us all season I fear - squad numbers.  Having the youth team to fall back on - regardless of their quality - was there for us last season.  Even with the youth players involved I'm sure we weren't able to fill a bench at one point.  Yes, we'll probably get a few more bodies in on loan but it looks like Aitken's spent most of the budget and I'm deeply concerned that it's the first competitive game of the season and we're already in the midst of an injury problem.  Here's hoping for some good news on that front by the time we play Morton.

It's a running joke how shite we are in this cup but instead of just accepting it we should be addressing it.  Last year our group comprised of Dundee and 3 part-time teams in leagues below us.  We finished bottom.  This season we have a similar group, except Ayr are FT.   Second place results in an extra £25,000-£35,000 for the club and should be something we are aiming for.