Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Whilst I agree it's a good result for us, I'm not getting over excited. I'd like to think it won't happen but we could lose our last 2, meaning if St Mirren beat Raith on Saturday and then Raith beat Ayr on the final day we would be 9th. On paper that's not an inconceivable turn of events but we know we've got a decent side and everyone's still fighting. We just need a point more, IMO.

This.  Raith could get horsed in Paisley and then beat Ayr to pip us should we lose our last two games.  I think we'll avoid 10th place as Ayr need a couple of snookers, but 9th can still snare us.

Probably still some twists amongst he bottom 4.

As pointed out on Saturday ,at 5pm on Saturday we won't be in bottom 2 and have game in hand. Ultimately in our own hands is all we can ask for..

lets all get up to tannadice and give backing to the boys.

How about this less likely scenario:

We lose our last 2. Raith beat st.mirren. St.mirren then beat Hibs whilst Ayr win their last 2.

Raith 39 points
Ayr 39 points
St.mirren 38 points
Dumbarton 38 points.

We probably bottom as st.mirren far more likely to have a better goal difference.

I hope not but there's still a few twists and turns yet. Although we are in the strongest position of the bottom 4 despite our arguably harder games.

Undoubtedly there's twists and turns left in it and it could be any two from four and might still be that way come the last game.

But as was said, its in our own hands.

If we'd been given this at the start of the season, and more so just after the Bonnyrigg fiasco, I think all of us would have grabbed it.

That's all we can ask for and we shouldn't have anything to fear for our trip to Tannadice.

Cracking result for Dumbarton tonight. Definitely a not so secret Sons fan from now until the end of the season. Looking at the fixtures my prediction for points now would be:-

St Mirren 4pts
Ayr 1/2pts
Raith 1/3pts

Saints will beat Raith at home and I can see them sneaking a draw at Hibs.

Ayr will get a point at best against Hibs and may get a point at Starks.

Raith will be beaten by Saints and will possibly edge out Ayr or a point at least.

I reckon bottom spot is Ayr's and I can't see them winning any of their last two games. So saying Raith do get 3 and Saints get 4 that would mean Dumbarton need at least one more point (providing you don't get hammered in a game and your goal difference stays better than Raith). A point really isn't unrealistic even if it is the 2nd and 3rd side your playing.

Ironically if you stump United on Saturday it'll surely be what saves you. Falkirk will comfortably beat us and if Utd fail to beat you Falkirk will have second spot wrapped up. If that's the case then they're bound to rest key players for the play-offs when they face you on the last day. And FWIW, a Dumbarton win at Tannadice certainly isn't unthinkable. United's defence is rotten and having seen both Dumbarton and United at Palmerston in the last month I'd say a Dumbarton win is a definite possibility. Let's hope so anyway.

Come on Sons, we can do this!!! :lol:

Guys, bit random but seeing as some of you are well in the know I thought I'd ask.
I help coach Dumbarton Utd ladies team and we are holding a race night on the 19th may. Would anyone know if we could acquire a signed ball/top from the club to auction? I have messaged them but not had a reply!

12 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Guys, bit random but seeing as some of you are well in the know I thought I'd ask.
I help coach Dumbarton Utd ladies team and we are holding a race night on the 19th may. Would anyone know if we could acquire a signed ball/top from the club to auction? I have messaged them but not had a reply!

Where did you message them? Maybe try emailing Alan (Trust director), address is on the website in the club officials section.

On 21 April 2017 at 09:43, Silverton End said:

They've maybe got an interest in our 'move' too.......:o:P

We had our MP in hospitality last season - Martin was very supportive of the trust and supporters, and we'll be speaking to him again soon, assuming the seat doesn't change hands... in which case it will be someone else!  Same for our MSP - Jackie's been great in speaking out.

We'll be in touch with the relevant elected councillors after the election this coming week. And the planning people, in particular. 

In relation to the proposed stadium move, you can be assured that the trust has the political, legal and media support well embedded -- to ensure that nothing happens which imperils the club. 

Edited by TheFarPost

21 minutes ago, TheFarPost said:

We had our MP in hospitality last season - Martin was very supportive of the trust and supporters, and we'll be speaking to him again soon, assuming the seat doesn't change hands... in which case it will be someone else!  Same for our MSP - Jackie's been great in speaking out.

We'll be in touch with the relevant elected councillors after the election this week. 

In relation to the proposed stadium move, you can be assured that the trust has the political, legal and media support well embedded -- to ensure that nothing happens which imperils the club. 

Yes, tbf Jackie Baillie has been a long time friend of The Sons.

For all the youngsters on here, today, the 28th April 2017 marks 50 years to the day since Third Lanark FC played their last ever game.  Coincidentally on a Friday evening, they were thumped 5-1 at Boghead in the final league game of the 1966/67 season by a Sons team which finished in 14th place on 33 points.

Thirds were in 11th spot, one point ahead, but they folded during the summer in very controversial circumstances, amidst accusations of financial irregularities and asset stripping.  Although serious problems had become evident heading into the season's end no-one attending that evening was aware that they were witnessing a very sad occasion in Scottish football history.  As such the crowd for what was a pretty meaningless end-of-season fixture was on the low side; I was one of them and saw Sons goals scored by Harry Kirk (2), Gus McMillan (2) and Big Roy - Kirk's first was in the opening minute without a Thirds player having touched the ball.

The question is, which local 19-year old entered the history books as scorer of Thirds last-ever goal ?  For the record, they were replaced the following season in Division Two by Clydebank FC.

For all the youngsters on here, today, the 28th April 2017 marks 50 years to the day since Third Lanark FC played their last ever game.  Coincidentally on a Friday evening, they were thumped 5-1 at Boghead in the final league game of the 1966/67 season by a Sons team which finished in 14th place on 33 points.
Thirds were in 11th spot, one point ahead, but they folded during the summer in very controversial circumstances, amidst accusations of financial irregularities and asset stripping.  Although serious problems had become evident heading into the season's end no-one attending that evening was aware that they were witnessing a very sad occasion in Scottish football history.  As such the crowd for what was a pretty meaningless end-of-season fixture was on the low side; I was one of them and saw Sons goals scored by Harry Kirk (2), Gus McMillan (2) and Big Roy - Kirk's first was in the opening minute without a Thirds player having touched the ball.
The question is, which local 19-year old entered the history books as scorer of Thirds last-ever goal ?  For the record, they were replaced the following season in Division Two by Clydebank FC.

A very well known local bar owner starting out on his career.

Was it Mr D. Busby?

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A guy who broke John Cushley's nose iirc.