Sons' sorrow

I'm not sure I agree with the general feeling that everything except the result was generally OK on Saturday.  Whilst the first half was even, had I been a neutral I would have thought that Queens created much more danger around our goal than vice-versa in the second period.  At times we looked ragged, and the build-up to the second goal was like watching the rerun of an old movie as Queens stretched us all over the park for about four minutes before finally opening us up (yet again) from our right flank.
And although he took his goal well, Nade's lack of mobility and seeming to play thro a first-half injury was a concern; it was significant that the first time in the game he broke clear to take part in a ground move the result was our goal - we need much more of that.  And the strange decision to play Sam Stanton on the wide right of midfield should be strictly a one-off, I would build our midfeld around a central core of Carswell and Stanton on the RH and LH respectively.

The goals we conceded were pretty poor I agree, the way in which Thomas glided through two 'challenges' for the first is almost haunting, but I think we did a lot of things well.

When we were chasing the equaliser for the second time I'd concede that the shape went out of the window a bit and we did look a bit ragged, but up until then I thought we were pretty decent and looked dangerous going forward but organised too.

Certainly in the first half I can't say I particularly noticed a major lack of mobility on Nade's part. That could be because most of the time we were playing it in the air, which Nade did pretty well in dealing with I thought. He certainly didn't show a lack of mobility when getting to the ball before the Queen's defender in which he got clattered and the defender deservedly was booked.

In the second half, he did fade a bit, but I think it's generally accepted, Stevie alluded to it himself, that he isn't fully match-fit yet, but overall I was pretty pleased with Nade's afternoon.

There's a lot we can improve on, but in general if David Smith can continue in the form he's in, Stirling can repeat performances like Saturday, Nade can get himself another couple of goals, and Carswell continues the way he's started, I genuinely believe we'll be ok. We'll make mistakes and I'm sure we'll be opened up again in matches, but I think we're perfectly capable of getting the points we need.

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm not sure I agree with the general feeling that everything except the result was generally OK on Saturday.  Whilst the first half was even, had I been a neutral I would have thought that Queens created much more danger around our goal than vice-versa in the second period.  At times we looked ragged, and the build-up to the second goal was like watching the rerun of an old movie as Queens stretched us all over the park for about four minutes before finally opening us up (yet again) from our right flank.

And although he took his goal well, Nade's lack of mobility and seeming to play thro a first-half injury was a concern; it was significant that the first time in the game he broke clear to take part in a ground move the result was our goal - we need much more of that.  And the strange decision to play Sam Stanton on the wide right of midfield should be strictly a one-off, I would build our midfeld around a central core of Carswell and Stanton on the RH and LH respectively.

I agree it's obvious that Stanton is better through the middle, but in order for us to accommodate Stanton in the middle now we need to either a) Drop Lewis Vaughan or Nade and play with only 1 up front or b) Drop Mark Docherty or Carswell and go 4-4-2. Option A seems unlikely to me, Vaughan hasn't come here to sit on his arse. Not sure Vaughan is much of a lone striker either. Option B would see us lose some of the dig we have in midfield and both players would feel hard done by to find themselves on the bench, the former especially. It's a problem that Stevie has brought upon himself by filling the squad with attacking options in January, I think sometimes without a lot of thought.  For example, I don't think we ever had any intention of bringing Vaughan here until Raith came calling for Stevo. I think Stevie has jumped at that chance and worry about how it all works later.  Don't get me wrong, I'm much happier with our squad now than it was 3 weeks ago, but it's now time for Stevie to get figure out who works best where and get them playing.  We can ill afford to go through another transitional process while the team "gels", we need to get it right and fast.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I agree it's obvious that Stanton is better through the middle, but in order for us to accommodate Stanton in the middle now we need to either a) Drop Lewis Vaughan or Nade and play with only 1 up front or b) Drop Mark Docherty or Carswell and go 4-4-2. Option A seems unlikely to me, Vaughan hasn't come here to sit on his arse. Not sure Vaughan is much of a lone striker either. Option B would see us lose some of the dig we have in midfield and both players would feel hard done by to find themselves on the bench, the former especially. It's a problem that Stevie has brought upon himself by filling the squad with attacking options in January, I think sometimes without a lot of thought.  For example, I don't think we ever had any intention of bringing Vaughan here until Raith came calling for Stevo. I think Stevie has jumped at that chance and worry about how it all works later.  Don't get me wrong, I'm much happier with our squad now than it was 3 weeks ago, but it's now time for Stevie to get figure out who works best where and get them playing.  We can ill afford to go through another transitional process while the team "gels", we need to get it right and fast.

Assuming young Harvie recovers OK, then I'd consider going with Gal (C), Carswell, Sparky & Stirling across the middle with Garry and Vaughn up top.  Sam S is a handy guy to have around but his workrate is patchy, and he doesn't track back too convincingly.  Nade meantime as a bench player too IMO.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Assuming young Harvie recovers OK, then I'd consider going with Gal (C), Carswell, Sparky & Stirling across the middle with Garry and Vaughn up top.  Sam S is a handy guy to have around but his workrate is patchy, and he doesn't track back too convincingly.  Nade meantime as a bench player too IMO.

I would be happy enough with that line up. Hadn't even considered that Harvie may not be fit, you can see how Stanton fits in if he doesn't make it. Nade is a difficult one though, you could say he isn't match sharp at the moment but having him on the bench doesn't fix that. Thought Garry and Vaughan worked well together against Hibs though so wouldn't be against that.

23 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Misread this initially as a shout for Grant Gallagher to be made captain...

Assuming young Harvie recovers OK, then I'd consider going with Gal ©, Carswell, Sparky & Stirling across the middle with Garry and Vaughn up top.  Sam S is a handy guy to have around but his workrate is patchy, and he doesn't track back too convincingly.  Nade meantime as a bench player too IMO.

That won't work for this Saturday though. Vaughan can't play.

I agree that there won't be much benefit to benching The Prince at the moment.

If he's not match fit, he needs games. And to my mind, he's the best outlet we have as an out and out striker at the moment. His hold-up play and sheer physical presence on Saturday were things we've desperately missed so far this season.

So if he gets another couple of games to get his match sharpness and continues to improve his product (Saturday was pretty decent to be fair) then I think he'll be a real asset for us again in the run-in.

Aw naw, surely maddog 1965 isn't one of those seething dads who lost his titties because the development squad folded and is now resorting to lambasting a player who is tried and tested at this level and had a career his boy can only dream of?

At least it would make a change from them making an arse of themselves on facebook.