Sons' sorrow

Reading about falkirk and qots Installing artificial surfaces, is it about time we looked to this as an option? given the state of our pitch most of the year I feel we should move to synthetic.

Usually the main argument against is cost, (about £500k) but I noticed Queens have only paid about £60k for theirs due to the council and Sport Scotland funding the rest. Now WDC aren't exactly rolling about in cash but considering they are investing in their leisure stuff over the next 6 months or it'd surely be worth a punt to try and get them on board

We get a lot of business with the Scottish national teams, and now Rangers and Celtic, because of our pitch being grass.

We'd probably get more business renting the pitch out for 5s/7s than Scotland training once in a blue moon and an u20 match once a month

I don't think we need defensive cover, I think a centre mid would be more beneficial.

We absolutely do need some additional cover at the back. If we were to lose Barry or Graham our options are very limited. If we lose one of those plus Smith we're in trouble.

A central midfielder would be nice, as would a 30-goal a season striker, but for now the priority should be additional defensive cover.

I dare say if it was a possibility to get funding from the council to help out with this pitch the club would have looked at it. I don't think WDC gives two fucks about DFC and I imagine if they can spend that money they will be doing it elsewhere. Not a chance we can raise that sort of money ourselves and if we could I'd rather see it put into our youth system than a plastic pitch.

I'm not really saying it has to be from the council, just scrounge about for funding off of other sources in general. Was Forfar's not paid for by some police scheme or something like that?

Yeah I understand that and it's a fair point. I suppose every way of funding it has to be looked at, I still don't see it being easy or that high on the clubs priority list.

We absolutely do need some additional cover at the back. If we were to lose Barry or Graham our options are very limited. If we lose one of those plus Smith we're in trouble.

A central midfielder would be nice, as would a 30-goal a season striker, but for now the priority should be additional defensive cover.

Players who can play centre back: Graham, Barry, McNiff, Smith, Ross, Coleman and Murray

Players who can play centre back: Graham, Barry, McNiff, Smith, Ross, Coleman and Murray

Only two of them I'd be confident with and that's Graham and Barry (who looks a class act, btw).. Smith done well last year there but he's not a centre half and he's certainly nowhere near fit at the moment, thought he was well off the pace on Saturday actually. McNiff you could argue is decent enough cover but isn't really proven at this level. Ross & Murray - no chance. Coleman, asking a lot of a 17 year old to come in at centre half and deal with First Division strikers.

Only two of them I'd be confident with and that's Graham and Barry (who looks a class act, btw).. Smith done well last year there but he's not a centre half and he's certainly nowhere near fit at the moment, thought he was well off the pace on Saturday actually. McNiff you could argue is decent enough cover but isn't really proven at this level. Ross & Murray - no chance. Coleman, asking a lot of a 17 year old to come in at centre half and deal with First Division strikers.

I understand the quality of players it's brilliant, but it is a high number of player who can play there.

I believe Ross has more chance of playing than Murray.

I understand the quality of players isn't brilliant, but it is a high number of player who can play there.

ETA:

I just think that cover for centre mid would be more important, if either Aggy or Turner were to get injured would would we play there?

Fleming? Most people want him him to be first choice up front, so we'd want to keep him up front.

McNiff? Isn't anywhere near a good enough centre mid for the first division, he is much better at centre back.

Edited by bigmacDFC

I understand the quality of players it's brilliant, but it is a high number of player who can play there.

I do actually agree, there's not going to be enough money left in our budget for a good centre half to challenge for places. I think if we do have any centre backs out for a lengthy period we'll go down the emergency loan route, much like last season.

I do actually agree, there's not going to be enough money left in our budget for a good centre half to challenge for places. I think if we do have any centre backs out for a lengthy period we'll go down the emergency loan route, much like last season.

I think for shortish term cover we have much more options at centre back than centre mid.

Long term we would probably need someone in, but you can't justify a wage on the off chance of a long term injury.

So a list of players capable of playing centre back. Good work. Ross would be a last resort and a such no exactly ideal. Smith would be an option but not if either he or Linton were also unavailable. Coleman is a prospect but not sure if he's ready just yet. McNiff would struggle.

No idea why you've included Murray.

So a list of players capable of playing centre back. Good work. Ross would be a last resort and a such no exactly ideal. Smith would be an option but not if either he or Linton were also unavailable. Coleman is a prospect but not sure if he's ready just yet. McNiff would struggle.

No idea why you've included Murray.

I have included Murray due to him being registered as a player.

As I have previously stated, these options are by no means ideal, but there are at least options there. We should have no problem providing short term cover for that position. However we are very limited, cover wise, for the centre of midfield.

i reckon prunts and megg should start next game. smith and fleming never seemed to work. no jump from smith although he did set up prunts for his goal. never been a andy graham fan but he did get much better last year. smith has to prove me wrong also

I didn't think Garry Fleming had a great game on Saturday. Im a big fan of his, but don't think we've found our best forward options yet. I think MacDougall is far better out wide, so maybe worth putting Megginson in and giving him a start?

i reckon prunts and megg should start next game. smith and fleming never seemed to work. no jump from smith although he did set up prunts for his goal. never been a andy graham fan but he did get much better last year. smith has to prove me wrong also

Graham was brilliant last season and was superb on Saturday, Gary has been on top form recently and thought he done decent against the Bairns also Kevin needs time to Settle in aswell.

Would like to see Megginson and Fleming, reckon they would make a decent combo.

Starting to get frustrating seeing Megginson shifted out wide. His pace could cause some serious damage and he was banging them in during pre season. My only worry is that he's far more effective coming off the bench when the opposition are starting to tire.