Sons' sorrow

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/news/16240415.Dumbarton_FC_s_Stevie_Aitken___Sons_can_help_new_faces_make_step_up_/

Quite a positive article this imo. Yes it means Barr isn’t 100% signed on but good news that Dowie is close to signing. I like that he seems to be targeting players who will perhaps be seen as youth prospects or fringe players at championship level.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

Who's all signing up for maintenance weekend then?

I'll absolutely be there. Any excuse to get back to the stadium after six weeks or whatever is a good one. The fact that we don't have to watch any football comes as an added bonus :lol:

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Cheers. Hopefully the informal meeting on the Sunday with the gaffer will entice a few down to help out. 

Stevie's in charge of the painting crew.  All paintwork will be cautious, & barely go half way up.

Edited by Boghead ranter

5 minutes ago, PWL said:

For those of a certain vintage. Played only a handful of games but definitely one to file under "could have been a contender"  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-44196040/colin-mcnair-drugs-put-an-end-to-my-football-career

While he actually was quite a talented footballer, he was a complete madman.

My biggest memory of him is that in Alex Wright's testimonial*, when Fergie brought up a pretty-much first team squad, McNair not only decided to pick up mark Hughes, tried to play the hard man with him.  Hughes not only played round him with ease, but also took every chance to show him what a hard man was actually like, and ragged him about like an empty tracksuit.

*the other vivid memory was that the game was the first ever outing for Peter Schmeichel, who in the flesh was fecking massive.  we got a penalty, which Schmeichel not only saved, he punched the penalty out for a throw-in.  He also set up a quick Utd counter-attack at one point by THROWING the ball from his area into our half.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

My biggest memory of him is that in Alex Wright's testimonial*, when Fergie brought up a pretty-much first team squad, McNair not only decided to pick up mark Hughes, tried to play the hard man with him.  Hughes not only played round him with ease, but also took every chance to show him what a hard man was actually like, and ragged him about like an empty tracksuit.

*the other vivid memory was that the game was the first ever outing for Peter Schmeichel, who in the flesh was fecking massive.  we got a penalty, which Schmeichel not only saved, he punched the penalty out for a throw-in.  He also set up a quick Utd counter-attack at one point by THROWING the ball from his area into our half.

The other thing i remember about Schmeichel playing was that the papers next day were full of criticism of Jim Leighton. It was reported as a complete embarrassment for him that he should be dropped  for some Danish 'nobody'.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

I seem to remember the argy bargy was between Hughes and Dougie Mckraken ????Lamont quickly subbed DM to stop ww3  exploding.Also CM took the penalty that PS saved IIRC.

But aye,that throw by PS was virtually the entire length of the pitch which led to mark robbins scoring the opening goal.Most surreal game of football i have ever witnessed.

26 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I seem to remember the argy bargy was between Hughes and Dougie Mckraken ????Lamont quickly subbed DM to stop ww3  exploding.Also CM took the penalty that PS saved IIRC.

But aye,that throw by PS was virtually the entire length of the pitch which led to mark robbins scoring the opening goal.Most surreal game of football i have ever witnessed.

Time has maybe mixed up the big dumplings in my head!

Good to see big Stan at S1 Autos offering up discounts to season ticket holders - http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3621

He's a good guy and I'd encourage any season ticket holders to take advantage of his offer (especially if we start scoring some goals next season - he might need to rethink that offer!).

Hopefully see more of these discounts on offer over the coming weeks, so get your season ticket bought and be ready to take advantage!

Good to see big Stan at S1 Autos offering up discounts to season ticket holders - http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3621
He's a good guy and I'd encourage any season ticket holders to take advantage of his offer (especially if we start scoring some goals next season - he might need to rethink that offer!).
Hopefully see more of these discounts on offer over the coming weeks, so get your season ticket bought and be ready to take advantage!

Aye well done Stan. Great idea. Hopefully a few more business will see the benefit and do something similar.

In fact, if you know any direct them to Alan Findlay at afindlay@dumbartonfc.com

Hopefully some positive signing news to tomorrow......

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Presumably that's goals scored in one game. It surely can't be £5.00 off for every goal we score at home next season