Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Spoke too soon, he's staying with us but coaching motherwell too.

Good move for both parties.

He can work with Motherwell's keepers during the week and still be available for us as a back up.

May also give us an in with Motherwell to take a player or two on loan.

1 hour ago, Sons FC said:

I thought that was a great statement- very well written.

I think I detect the flowing hand of Simon Barrow on that.

Does anyone know what has happened to the Club Officials link on the website?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Appreciate we're all deflated now and there's a lot of negativity flying around in regards to Aitken, but let's not talk ourselves to suicide here. 

Aitken has proven himself more than capable of putting an attacking team together in League 1, and I'd argue we played some of our best stuff under him towards the end of last season. Yes, this season was very uninspiring but one bad season doesn't make Stevie an awful manager. He ain't perfect, but we don't get perfect at Dumbarton. I expect he'll start shaping his squad this week and when he does I'd hope it gives us a wee lift. 

As we've said previously, and the Chairman has stated it in previous weeks, we really need the support behind the club now more than ever.  We can't pay Stevie off. Support is the only way we turn things round, on and off the pitch. The last thing we need is 300 home fans on the first day screaming "chuck it Aitken" (not saying you would be doing that here, I'm addressing a wider group known as the "sweetie rustlers").

I'm fairly positive with a more focussed Stevie Aitken this summer that he'll build a better (not necessarily quality wise, but a more balanced) squad, one hopefully more keen on sticking the ball in the pokey.

Some very fair and balanced points.

I won't shed too many tears, whatever Aitken's future may be. Next season will be challenging, regardless of who is at the helm. If it's to be Aitken, let's hope he ditches the negativity and we kick on.

A little unfair to judge a player like Tom Walsh amidst the tactics and strategy deployed this season.
I won't lie Wilf, he had previous form here and I'd never have brought him back. Nothing personal, but he's now collecting gigs like Kyle Hutton, with overlap along the way.
More generally, Stevie Aitken has (rightly) come in for criticism but we were sold short on the park too.

Just a thought. Since the club are trying to mend bridges and money seems to be tight. Why not have a joint website between the club and the trust. I guess the cost aren’t massive to run both but if can save money surely that’s better for all? 

Edited by Sons Fan

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I won't lie Wilf, he had previous form here and I'd never have brought him back. Nothing personal, but he's now collecting gigs like Kyle Hutton, with overlap along the way.
More generally, Stevie Aitken has (rightly) come in for criticism but we were sold short on the park too.

You can be a hard man OK and whilst I admire your exacting standards, I think one has to  reflect and recognise who we are and what position we occupy. Sometimes DFC is in fact too wee and too poor to attract world beaters. Walsh will have a decent career without troubling the Premiership, much like that enjoyed by Beanie. It was a pity we got him back when the music stopped. I'd be happy to see Hutton stay.

2 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Just a thought. Since the club are trying to mend bridges and money seems to be tight. Why not have a joint website between the club and the trust. I guess the cost aren’t massive to run both but if can save money surely that’s better for all? 

Don't agree with that. The Trust has to be able to act independently sometimes. However, the Trust does effectively produce the club website via Alan Findlay.

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Don't agree with that. The Trust has to be able to act independently sometimes. However, the Trust does effectively produce the club website via Alan Findlay.

Agreed. It's vital that the trust remains independent from the club. The Trust website is a Wordpress too, so it will cost very little.

Appreciate we're all deflated now and there's a lot of negativity flying around in regards to Aitken, but let's not talk ourselves to suicide here. 
Aitken has proven himself more than capable of putting an attacking team together in League 1, and I'd argue we played some of our best stuff under him towards the end of last season. Yes, this season was very uninspiring but one bad season doesn't make Stevie an awful manager. He ain't perfect, but we don't get perfect at Dumbarton. I expect he'll start shaping his squad this week and when he does I'd hope it gives us a wee lift. 
As we've said previously, and the Chairman has stated it in previous weeks, we really need the support behind the club now more than ever.  We can't pay Stevie off. Support is the only way we turn things round, on and off the pitch. The last thing we need is 300 home fans on the first day screaming "chuck it Aitken" (not saying you would be doing that here, I'm addressing a wider group known as the "sweetie rustlers").
I'm fairly positive with a more focussed Stevie Aitken this summer that he'll build a better (not necessarily quality wise, but a more balanced) squad, one hopefully more keen on sticking the ball in the pokey.
If Aitken can drop the negativity on the park and his heart is still in it, I'm sure he'll have no problem winning the fans over.

You can be a hard man OK and whilst I admire your exacting standards, I think one has to  reflect and recognise who we are and what position we occupy. Sometimes DFC is in fact too wee and too poor to attract world beaters. Walsh will have a decent career without troubling the Premiership, much like that enjoyed by Beanie. It was a pity we got him back when the music stopped. I'd be happy to see Hutton stay.
I actually do recognise that Wilf, but IMO many of last season's problems had their origin in the fact that we were far too slow off the mark in identifying and trying to sign players, to the extent that we staggered into the season. Hopefully that lesson has been learned.
But there's little point in raking over what's done, we now need to look forward. But we'll need to disagree on Mr Hutton.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 16:08, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It was simply a training game. We'll be fine.

Welcome to our level boys. I wasn't far wrong with my judgement last summer.

Although Tom Lang who was decent that day did turn out to be honking.

3 minutes ago, 1870ToonBlue said:

Well, considering you judged Tom Lang "head and shoulders" above our defensive players whilst predicting that we'd "have a lot of work to do", I doubt there will be many queuing up at your door for the lottery numbers.

It was a training game. To judge anything from a singular training game is stupid. As was proved by your hardon over Tom Lang.

At no point did many, if any, of our fans think we'd avoid 9th place. Including myself. "We'll be fine" was in response to you painting us the fuckin Renford Rejects after a training kick about. That same mob managed a cup final and were 30 seconds away from staying up.

Imagine bookmarking that and bringing it up a full 10 months later.

bqdcgQF.jpg

On 7/1/2017 at 16:47, 1870ToonBlue said:

Tom Walsh, Calum Gallagher, Mark Stewart sorry but no thanks there for a wage and nothing more. Early morning stroll in the park or not they should of had the Jamie Hamill attitude. Carswell was decent to be fair as was the boy Johnston when he came on he would be a useful addition

Thought I'd find your original post.

Walsh I can agree with you on, but fair play to him, he's got a decent move. Jamie Hamill was actually one of the guys he had most success against this season, roasting him for the second goal back in October.

The SeaGal and Stewart have both been grafters for us. Not technically gifted but neither hide like Walsh. Gallagher especially I'd be keen to keep next year.

Carsy is excellent. You are spot on.

Chris Johnston was not a useful addition. 

2 minutes ago, 1870ToonBlue said:

I felt judging by the performance that day there would have been plenty work to do and there was. 

You mean a part time side in a league with 8 other full-time teams is going to find the season a lot of hard work?

Someone get Jim Goodwin on the phone, he might not be aware of this!

Just now, The Moonster said:

You mean a part time side in a league with 8 other full-time teams is going to find the season a lot of hard work?

Someone get Jim Goodwin on the phone, he might not be aware of this!

Aye mate well done staying up for as long as your team did some achievement. But in the play offs it was part time v part time.

Should be a good league next season. Dumbarton favourites?

1 minute ago, 1870ToonBlue said:

Aye mate well done staying up for as long as your team did some achievement. But in the play offs it was part time v part time.

Should be a good league next season. Dumbarton favourites?

You tell us, oh wise one.