Sons' sorrow

13 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And another thing.  SA gets it in the neck from time to time, but what is the general consensus on Ian Durrant ?  I remain sceptical about both his role and his influence on team matters, and there's been too many ex-Rangers retreads and loanees about the place for my liking; nothing against that club, it's just that the players concerned have been largely mediocre.

I'm interested to hear others' views.  Apart from Rangeman of course.

The only major notable for me with Durrant is if anyone could get a midfield working , it should be him.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This is hardly the time for debate Wilf but we’ll need to agree to disagree on some of these assessments, as for me really only Burt has (in flashes) shown real quality.  The rest have been pretty mediocre at best, with McRorie currently way overrated.  And we never factored in Tom Lang……

My wider point though was the seeming incongruity of one of the best creative midfield players of his generation being assistant boss of a team with a consistently fragile and ultra- defensive midfield – it seems an odd one.

Arse, should have read on first.

I'm not sure that argument stacks up. Ian Murray was a defender at the top level in Scotland his whole career but his Dumbarton teams couldn't defend to save themselves (instead we scored to save ourselves). It's not that straightforward to assume good midfielder = good at coaching midfielders.

Froxy saying on Instagram it's his last week in Scotland.
When Stelios was freed last week I figured both could be offski pdq. Wonder if he'll have any part to play in these two games - needs must and all hands to the pump and to Hell with any other medium-term considerations.

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
25 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
Froxy saying on Instagram it's his last week in Scotland.

When Stelios was freed last week I figured both could be offski pdq. Wonder if he'll have any part to play in these two games - needs must and all hands to the pump and to Hell with any other medium-term considerations.

He might just mean he's going back to Cyprus for the summer (I don't think he has another job?). However, I'd read it as him being on his way.

Aitken seems so determined not to give him any game time that it's unlikely he'll change his mind now. The only way I see him making an appearance is if we're behind and going for broke by throwing him on. Which, to be fair, could well happen.

I see Froxy is potentially out with a "sickness bug" and has deleted all Dumbarton related stuff of his Instagram, including yesterday's jacuzzi pic about it being his last week here. The only two things still on there are his goals against Dunfermline and TNS.

Possibly told Aitken to ram it and buggered off early?

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see Froxy is potentially out with a "sickness bug" and has deleted all Dumbarton related stuff of his Instagram, including yesterday's jacuzzi pic about it being his last week here. The only two things still on there are his goals against Dunfermline and TNS.

Possibly told Aitken to ram it and buggered off early?

To be honest if Danny Handling was being picked every week ahead of me, and then I couldn't get off the bench ahead of Kevin Nisbet I'd probably just head back to Cyprus.

One of the best days of my life, I don't even care how sad that sounds. Three generations of the 08 family, a brilliant team, a great atmosphere and I was in P7 loving life at the time. 

I've got a video from the day somewhere, but I've absolutely no idea where it is :(

Always have huge respect for Annan for that day, they piped us on to the pitch, were very accommodating & even agreed to play in their away strip so we could lift the trophy in gold & black. It was their first season in the league and they owed us nothing but went out of their way to see us have a great day.

I'd completely forgotten about this but I actually put all the non-copyrighted early SonsTV stuff up on YouTube; the SFL had a ban on uploading to YouTube back then so it's only friendlies, stirlingshire cup, interviews & celebration videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/SonsPlayerDFC/videos

Celebrations at Annan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR-jEhag7Gc

Celebrations at Dumbarton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaomdepJPYA

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

To be honest if Danny Handling was being picked every week ahead of me, and then I couldn't get off the bench ahead of Kevin Nisbet I'd probably just head back to Cyprus.

To be honest (2), we're probably never going to get the actualite behind this, and we could all be speculating.  However, what is not in dispute is that in his short playing time here Froxy provided goalscoring fireworks that will live long in the memory and if this is the end, for that we thank him.

I have the feeling that in a better team he could be a really notable performer, especially under a less embattled Manager.

48 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To be honest (2), we're probably never going to get the actualite behind this, and we could all be speculating.  However, what is not in dispute is that in his short playing time here Froxy provided goalscoring fireworks that will live long in the memory and if this is the end, for that we thank him.

I have the feeling that in a better team he could be a really notable performer, especially under a less embattled Manager.

Not so sure about that. He is only 24 and we are his ninth club. That tells you something

3 hours ago, Young gun said:

Is that Gary Fleming I see, Aitkens Army wil be in a quandary :angel

The amount of times the camera panned to them tonight was ridiculous!

Going to make the long journey North for Sunday. Hopefully it'll be less gut-wrenching than the last Sons final I attended.

Edited by FifeSons