Sons' sorrow

I’d put Alloa favourites at the moment, based on form, and those 5 ex sons (aitkens rejects), are going to be right up for it. Will our squad be? I cant see it.

Surely Stevie has to start stewart, and Burt, and give froxy at least 20 minutes?

Of course our squad will be up for it. It’s a play off final! If we weren’t giving 100% then we wouldn’t have got near to beating Arbroath.

I’d have us as favourites based on the fact that our squad is better than their’s, having said that I’m not totally confident.

A lot of people think that the only reason we beat Arbroath is because they were poor going forward. Well they have scored 14 more league goals than the Alloa side that some of our supporters think are a much bigger attacking threat. Maybe the reason Arbroath didn’t look like a massive threat was because our defence is actually quite solid.

Positivity is the key[emoji23]

None of the ex Sons with Alloa at the moment would get in to our team at the moment, despite its limitations. Taggart might just but only because Wardrop is injured

You'll scoosh the final then, as they are amongst our best players.

You'll scoosh the final then, as they are amongst our best players.

Just out of interest, does Andy Graham’s lack of pace ever really get exposed? At the end of his time with us I thought he was a bit on the slow side for the championship so I’m pleasantly surprised to see he’s still going strong at the top of league 1, 3 years on.

Just out of interest, does Andy Graham’s lack of pace ever really get exposed?

Occasionally yes it does, but not often and that has to be set against how good and consistent the rest of his game is and also how well he fits into the defensive unit. He looks most comfortable with Taggs' pace beside him, but he'll not have that in the final as the latter will be right back.

Apparently Andy is also a brilliant lad in the dressing room and training; a real leader and positive influence. He's been great for us.

I totally get the 'not good enough for the Championship' argument. I'd certainly have concerns about Andy and Fleming in particular if we were to go up.

Taggs and Cawley would be fine I'm sure. Taggs has improved over the two years with us and is now one of our leaders and most consistent performers, and of course is quick.

Wee Kev was OK last year and at the start of this, but has hit his form of old in recent weeks. He seems to have been given (or taken?) more freedom. He's still not being played in his best position (through the middle).

Jordan I'm not sure about. He's been a brilliant player for us; 17 goals from midfield last year and several since Jan this, but he may prove to be a luxury with the step up. Alternatively he may prove to be key in staying up as he has a habit of producing goals from nowhere (as on Sat). [emoji4]

18 hours ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

I've been looking back on this thread.  There seems to be a feeling that those left on the bench would be changing games if only they started those games.  Well, Mark Stewart started against Caley and was pretty meh, whilsy young Burt usually looks better as an impact sub than a starter.  Wilson occasonially blows hot but mostly cold.  Froxy is the one player with any sort of the unpredictable about him but he can also be anonymous.  With the exception of Wardrop the loans have been crapiola.

Maybee we had just better accept that we have had a pretty mediocre squad this season and it doesn't really matter how the pack is shuffled.  If we manage to stay up we need a new pack.

Whilst I agree with your last paragraph, in the first you say Stewart started against ICT and was meh so is worthy of his place on the bench. Is it not a bit unfair that Stewart gets one start after coming back from injury and that's his chance gone, especially considering our best form coincided with him playing up front. It seems even more unfair when pretenders like Handling or someone who is completely finished like Russell are given opportunities over him.

If he's injured then fair enough, leave Stewart on the bench but his body language suggested otherwise on Saturday. Froxy should start over Handling in every match without a doubt. Both offer nothing defensively, one of them can win you a game, it's really baffling.

Stevie talks about the players being dead on their feet in his post match interview, I'd suggest using the likes of Stewart and Froxy more often in that case rather than forcing guff like Handling to play 180 minutes in a week.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Is Gal fully fit?

If he is then he should start but wasn't he on the bench for one of the Arbroath games?

I'd actually like to see both Stewart and Gal up front. Their movement would be a problem for defenders to deal with. I just have a feeling that both will be on the bench.

If C Gall is "fit enough" to play he will start. There's been a few times in recent weeks where he was doubtful in the days approaching games and then started the match.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

Wardrop hasn't featured since before the cup final where he got injured vs Brechin. Froxy hasn't been in the team for the last 5 weeks or something like that either.

This is an excellent point, and something I was thinking about during the game on Saturday. Of course it wouldn't be an issue if Stevie just played him in his natural role though :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Trying to figure out whether a trip to Alloa after finishing work at 7 on Wednesday is a good idea or utter madness.

Go for it!

I knew that it would be daft to even attempt to make Arbroath on Wednesday night, but I beat myself up for not even trying when I saw the #Scenes Manngo caused with his last minute winner.

Go for it!
I knew that it would be daft to even attempt to make Arbroath on Wednesday night, but I beat myself up for not even trying when I saw the #Scenes Manngo caused with his last minute winner.
Oh I know, if I actually finish on time I'll almost certainly point the car towards Clackmannanshire rather than home

Is Gal fully fit?  

If he is then he should start but wasn't he on the bench for one of the Arbroath games?

I'd actually like to see both Stewart and Gal up front. Their movement would be a problem for defenders to deal with. I just have a feeling that both will be on the bench.

If Stevie was brave enough to go two up front (which he wasn't) in the run in, I would have liked to see him try Nesbit as one of the front two. I reckon he could be a good foil for someone beside him. 

He's maybe not a natural penalty box striker and has the stigma of that penalty hanging over him but he gives defenders something to deal with and might stop every long ball immediately coming back at us. It would have been interesting to see how it worked with someone running off him.

Just saying..

Season Ticket and walk-up prices slashed for next season - regardless of what division we're in.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3586

£16 adults £10 Concessions £8 U12s and a £20 Parent + Child on the walk ups, all season tickets have 20 quid taken off.

That's absolutely tremendous news. Nothing put people I know off more than the prospect of £20 entry - it might only be £4, but it sounds an awful lot lower. Hopefully the club are rewarded by a wee boost in ST uptake and walk-ups.

Season Ticket and walk-up prices slashed for next season - regardless of what division we're in.
£16 adults £10 Concessions £8 U12s and a £20 Parent + Child on the walk ups, all season tickets have 20 quid taken off.
That's absolutely tremendous news. Nothing put people I know off more than the prospect of £20 entry - it might only be £4, but it sounds an awful lot lower. Hopefully the club are rewarded by a wee boost in ST uptake and walk-ups.

While it’s great news that prices have been reduced I think this may actually see a reduction in season tickets sales as if you miss more than two homes games you would have been better off just paying at the gate (unless I’ve calculated it wrong). Hopefully the lower walk up prices lure a few new supporters in or encourages others to return.

24 minutes ago, Cheeko Green said:

While it’s great news that prices have been reduced I think this may actually see a reduction in season tickets sales as if you miss more than two homes games you would have been better off just paying at the gate (unless I’ve calculated it wrong). Hopefully the lower walk up prices lure a few new supporters in or encourages others to return.

I guess it depends just how many games you'll be missing, but given the amount of stick most us have given the prices I'd like to think that people will view a price cut as good news. Even if you're missing four or five games, the Season Ticket sales play a massive part in securing the club's budget - which, now more than ever, we need!

I guess it depends just how many games you'll be missing, but given the amount of stick most us have given the prices I'd like to think that people will view a price cut as good news. Even if you're missing four or five games, the Season Ticket sales play a massive part in securing the club's budget - which, now more than ever, we need!

I hope people realise this and also take into account that they will be avoiding any journeys to the ground to collect tickets for all ticket games.

49 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

This - and I really hope this bold idea is rewarded with sales.  And I particularly like the new 'Supporter & Drum' ticket category .

1 hour ago, Cheeko Green said:

Whilst I understand that line of thinking it’s not an opinion I share. I’ve never bought a season ticket on the basis of saving money over 18 walk up prices, or not bought one because I’d miss x number and therefore tip the balance away from what I’d perceive to be value for money.

I’ve bought a season ticket because it’san investment in my club that allows season long budgets to be set. If the reality is that I win or lose by a few quid either way I’m not that bothered.

The club have made a pretty bold move here imo. They’ve listened to fans views on pricing and reduced them as far as practicable, but that comes at a risk. Reduced pricing needs an increase in sales or we’re looking at a financial deficit and this a reduced playing budget.

I’d encourage fans to reward this move by buying STs and show the board that reduced pricing can work. If not, we can’t have any complaints when the price is back up next year.

I got the early, early bird offer last season so they'll make money out of removing that offer if everyone renews.

All in, I can see the greater good in this arrangement and hope it works out for the trust and club. Previously the trust would exchange funds for club shares, I dont know if that was considered with this agreement or not.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Well done Dumbarton , great prices , hope many more clubs do the same and can get increases crowds because of it