Sons' sorrow

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
11 hours ago, cedrick1 said:
Someone asked the driver shortly after Glasgow to be told to push open the skylight window. 19th century air con. 

Holy Smoke ! I never realised the Sonspool bus was still running. No' be long till the ' Shoot' Summer Special is in Langlands.

?

sonspool.png

11 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

That was on my behalf; you cant win doing that. Those anywhere near it freeze and have to endure the noise. Shite bus or / and driver

When we got to Arbroath one of the lads (with learning difficulties) was trying to open the boot to get his drum out. He shouted to the driver he couldn't get it open and the driver never bothered his arse getting up to help him. I'm going for shite driver.

15 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Ok, but there seem to be megaphones involved with the so called "Union Bears" at Ibrox and "Green Brigade" at Sellick Park.

The Malaga guys really added to the match day experience for everyone - there was always something going on. No need for steamers there will be stuff that will be permitted - you just need to use imagination.

I'm sure some of the misty eyed old farts here will like me remember average crowds of more than 4,000 at Boghead and the "choir" numbering about 500. They had several songs specific to the Sons too. Happy days.

I can only remember one, and it had the line "we're the boys in black and gooo-o-o-o-ld"

Really good to see the club put a explanation on the OS about why season tickets aren't valid.

That sort of thing was totally non existent in the past. It shows that things are moving in the right direction in terms of engagement with supporters. Small things like that make a big difference IMO.

Really good to see the club put a explanation on the OS about why season tickets aren't valid.

That sort of thing was totally non existent in the past. It shows that things are moving in the right direction in terms of engagement with supporters. Small things like that make a big difference IMO.
And letting the Lichties into the away end bar wouldn't have happened either [emoji6]

15 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
16 hours ago, cedrick1 said:
Someone asked the driver shortly after Glasgow to be told to push open the skylight window. 19th century air con. 

Holy Smoke ! I never realised the Sonspool bus was still running. No' be long till the ' Shoot' Summer Special is in Langlands.

With the free league ladders and tabs

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And letting the Lichties into the away end bar wouldn't have happened either emoji6.png

I've known John Steele for nearly as long as I've supported the Sons. I must admit to being a wee bit surprised at the new getting down with the fans spirit he seems to have embraced. John's a smart operator and he probably realises that this is the way to get the supporters onside for what looks like stormy waters ahead. Good.

I've known John Steele for nearly as long as I've supported the Sons. I must admit to being a wee bit surprised at the new getting down with the fans spirit he seems to have embraced. John's a smart operator and he probably realises that this is the way to get the supporters onside for what looks like stormy waters ahead. Good.
Is he trustworthy in your opinion?

46 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Stormy Waters ?  I read about her somewhere recently.

14 minutes ago, albundy said:
38 minutes ago, Howlin said:

Is he trustworthy in your opinion?

I had a  business transaction with him in 2013 where he was acting for the other party as solicitor and everything was fine.  Any contact I've had with him in recent years has been via DFC and on certain social occasions. I've had no reason to doubt his trustworthiness.

He is nephew of former DFC Chairman Douglas Dalgleish.

I had a  business transaction with him in 2013 where he was acting for the other party as solicitor and everything was fine.  Any contact I've had with him in recent years has been via DFC and on certain social occasions. I've had no reason to doubt his trustworthiness.
Thanks, good to hear that. Seems positive all round, long may it continue.

5 minutes ago, albundy said:
18 minutes ago, Howlin said:

Thanks, good to hear that. Seems positive all round, long may it continue.

The type of guy who it is better to have on your side than against you. In that respect probably a good choice as Chairman.

Back to today's second leg....I'm worried about the prospect of the team being set up to hold what we have instead of taking the game at home to lower league opposition who are behind in the tie. Do you get what I'm saying here ?
And if that means playing EITHER of Hutton or Carswell then so be it.

Back to today's second leg....I'm worried about the prospect of the team being set up to hold what we have instead of taking the game at home to lower league opposition who are behind in the tie. Do you get what I'm saying here ?
And if that means playing EITHER of Hutton or Carswell then so be it.

I think a fair amount of us share your concern. I agree with posts on the match thread suggesting that we set up to score early and hopefully deflate Arbroath before then defending the lead. 90 mins is too long for any team to defend a one goal lead and depend on a counter attack that we've seen precious little of, mainly due to the fact that we don't have the type of players to effectively counter.
Hopefully fans turn up today to support the team but if we go behind, I can see heads going down as usual and sections of the support turning on the team and SA.

90 mins is too long for any team to defend a one goal lead and depend on a counter attack that we've seen precious little of, mainly due to the fact that we don't have the type of players to effectively counter.

We do IMO. The problem is they are generally on the bench.

Burt, Stewart and Stirling would work in a counter attacking system but Stirling is the only regular starter.

We do IMO. The problem is they are generally on the bench.

Burt, Stewart and Stirling would work in a counter attacking system but Stirling is the only regular starter.
Midfield is the key area; it protects, or at least it should, the back line and provides for the forwards. IMO Hutton and Carswell are far too similar, they are primarily defensive and both lack pace and creativity going forward. For that reason we should play one or the other.
I'd sit Carswell ahead of the back four, with Seagal, Froxy and Stirling ahead, and Stewart and Burt up top.