Sons' sorrow

21 minutes ago, Supremesons said:

Our seasons in the championship have been the most enjoyable for me, to think we've took points against team like hibs, Dundee untied, st mirren etc. I like being the underdogs and would love to stay in this division forever.

An admirable sentiment and you obviously weren't among the sizeable number of Sons' supporters practically begging the referee to blow for full time after 85 mins against Livvy the other week. This season has witnessed some grim sights but that was up there. 

What the Sons have done over the last 6-7 years is remarkable to say the least.

I think the danger is for fans to show any chinks in their armour for the long fight ahead.

In my opinion start the fight now to make sure the club survives,take the initiative Brabco will pounce on any weakness and make their case ,you all know the scenarios.

Get it Done 8)

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If relegation meant we had to slash our budget to the levels of say Albion Rovers (£100 a week, roughly), would Sons fans be happy or at the very least "not too bothered" about going down?

I'll be gutted if we're relegated.

Goodness me, you lot love a bit of self abuse do you not? Dumbarton however you slice it have done very well indeed on the park in recent seasons. One comparatively bad campaign and you all stop support and start whingeing? Sons are not relegated yet. You have play offs to compete in, so surely efforts should be made to talk things up and get behind your club. or am I missing something. Bankies fans are harsh, but at the moment you fellas are going a little overboard in my view.

7 minutes ago, Benito Robles said:

Goodness me, you lot love a bit of self abuse do you not? Dumbarton however you slice it have done very well indeed on the park in recent seasons. One comparatively bad campaign and you all stop support and start whingeing? Sons are not relegated yet. You have play offs to compete in, so surely efforts should be made to talk things up and get behind your club. or am I missing something. Bankies fans are harsh, but at the moment you fellas are going a little overboard in my view.

I don't think anyone has stopped supporting us. We love a good moan or debate though, you should see us when we have two similar goalkeepers in the squad.

The most significant differences between most of the teams who have "benefited" longer term from a drop down is the difference in size of the club's. Dumbarton are so much smaller than Dunfermline or Ayr. We would basically be on a par with a team like Stenny or Albion if we go down. Most likely to be in another relegation battle than a promotion one.

Yes, there have been cases where a team like Cowden went down and came back up but there's quite a high chance that is why they are now (just a few years later) propping up the bottom division.

Good to see the club marketing this and the new chairman (and gaffer) willing to come out and talk to the fans. Hopefully plenty of fans head along after the match and give the players a bit of a boost ahead of the play-offs.

Despite all the doom and gloom I here, we’re not down yet.

And to give someone else a shot at being Scotland's highest-placed part-time club, and see if it also takes them almost to the brink of receivership.  

This is what I was trying to highlight in a post earlier in the week.

If things are that bad then that should absolutely be communicated to the support.

Aye, the Trust doing the hard work again to attract fans is a welcome reaction. But why aren't the club asking for our help earlier in the season? Why are these initiatives only considered when we're skint at the end of the season?

5 hours ago, Benito Robles said:

You are missing the fact we are playing shite and many players seem to have their heads down.The ranting and raving on here is to get a reaction from the team and give us a chance of staying up.Recent games suggest we are throwing in the towel with the exception of dundee united game.That shows our potential but too often this season that is all it has been...potential not points on the board.

28 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Aye, the Trust doing the hard work again to attract fans is a welcome reaction. But why aren't the club asking for our help earlier in the season? Why are these initiatives only considered when we're skint at the end of the season?

Well, maybe now is the time to draw a line under that and look at how we can make things better. For generations the board at dumbarton have failed to reach out and engage with the support, never mind the wider community. I think that is acknowledged by the club and there is now a realisation that things need to change.

Now we can either stand on the sidelines and moan about it if we can get involved and try to make things better from within. I know what position I’d rather take.

This Saturday the club have live music in the bar pre-match, the local poet in, post match awards ceremony including the chairman and gaffer making an appearance, and there’s even a few things on this planned for the kids. Big kids too. The local estate has also been leafleted to try and encourage a few along.

Its a few small things. But its a few small things in the right direction. If the club is to improve off the field these things matter. Better fan engagement, better match day experience and (crucially) a more proactive community engagement policy. That should be the baseline going forward regardless of what division we find ourselves in next season.

Threads an odd read. We had some fans talk about how great it would be to get relegated and be back challenging for title every week, conveniently forgetting the seven years we got wedged into the second tier with absolutely mind numbing football and having to cut costs every season just to break even. 

Bizarre that folk think you'll save money by dropping out of a full team league into a part time league, surely if you're on the cusp of bankruptcy your goal has to be in the best financial division possible? And absolutely slashing your wages and getting pumped every week is better financially than dropping a league this summer? 

13 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

You are missing the fact we are playing shite and many players seem to have their heads down.The ranting and raving on here is to get a reaction from the team and give us a chance of staying up.Recent games suggest we are throwing in the towel with the exception of dundee united game.That shows our potential but too often this season that is all it has been...potential not points on the board.

Do you honestly think that ranting here is going to solicit a reaction from your team? 

3 hours ago, Benito Robles said:

Do you honestly think that ranting here is going to solicit a reaction from your team? 

You would be surprised.....however how else do you expect fans to vent frustration?Believe me this season has been the most frustrating in many a year.

41 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

You would be surprised.....however how else do you expect fans to vent frustration?Believe me this season has been the most frustrating in many a year.

One comparatively disappointing season in 6 or 7 has you forgetting about the good times that you are realistically a part of? I think maybe you ought to stop following Dumbarton or football in general. 

11 minutes ago, Benito Robles said:

One comparatively disappointing season in 6 or 7 has you forgetting about the good times that you are realistically a part of? I think maybe you ought to stop following Dumbarton or football in general. 

Why should i stop supporting the club????you nutz???Its every fan's right to criticize..maybe you shouldve been more vocal instead of so passive as they fuckt your club into junior football.Do not want the same to happen to mine.I will do all i can to save the club and yes staying up will be a big part of that.

As for your dictator stance ...stop criticizing or be gone...is just ludicrous.