Sons' sorrow

If that signals the departure of Les Hope then by all accounts that’s a very good outcome. As far as I’m aware he has brought absolutely nothing to the table in terms of business acumen.

John Steele is nephew of Hon Chairman Douglas Dalgleish. It is a bit early to decide what kind of outcome this presents.

Decent enough. He had a really good game at the weekend, and is a far better option than we had, but he hasn't quite hit the tremendous form he found himself in towards the end of last season.
I like him as a player a lot though. He's skilful and tricky, but works himself into the ground defensively. If you lot would like to let us have him permanently again then that'd be absolutely smashing.

In a season where we have had so many of our "regulars" failing to deliver on a weekly basis for some inexplicable reason Stirling was identified by the Manager as being the biggest underperformer.

Most Queens fans that I speak to couldn't understand why he wasn't given a prolonged run in the team. As soon as the team got a bad result Stirling was inevitably the man dropped when in reality he was no poorer than 3/4 of his colleagues.

Our Manager also discarded Andy Dowie - I assume that he has been a good signing for you? An absolute stalwart for us and a player who reads the game superbly. His last season with us wasn't his best but still a player who could have done a great job for us. If you have a look at our goals against column it is plain to see that the replacements haven't exactly worked out.

Here's what Les Hope said we took the Chairman position in a statement on the club website:

It's an honour and privilege to take on the role of Chairman of this proud club, especially hard on the heels of Alan. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Compare that to this:

There are undoubtedly major challenges ahead for the Club. We will all have to pull together to face those. That's just what we will do. We have great fans, a fine relationship with the supporters trust, strengthened links with the owners, and a commitment to the kind of teamworking which can build on our success in the Irn-Bru cup and six incredible seasons in the second tier of Scottish professional football.

We would all like to pay particular tribute to our current chairman Les Hope and his predecessor Alan Jardine for the hard work which has laid the foundations for where we are now. Without their endeavour and financial support this would not have been possible.

Whatever happens at the end of this season, Dumbarton remains a club on the move and we are especially determined to become an even more important, positive feature of local community life in the coming months and years.

Neither statement says too much, but one displays a certain enthusiasm and an understanding of the situation the club is in. Obviously it would be ridiculous to suggest John Steele is our saviour and we're all fine now off the back of one statement, but in a time where everyone is constantly playing over dooms day scenarios in their heads, I welcome some positivity (and hopefully some more transparency) from the club Chairman.

10 hours ago, Ayrfan1910 said:

How do yous think you will do in the playoff? (Unless you catch Falkirk)

What's the patter like in the League 1 forum?

ETA I'm not saying we're going to end up there, just trying to assess how bad a thing it would be if we're relegated.

Edited by Boghead ranter

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

In a season where we have had so many of our "regulars" failing to deliver on a weekly basis for some inexplicable reason Stirling was identified by the Manager as being the biggest underperformer.

Most Queens fans that I speak to couldn't understand why he wasn't given a prolonged run in the team. As soon as the team got a bad result Stirling was inevitably the man dropped when in reality he was no poorer than 3/4 of his colleagues.

Our Manager also discarded Andy Dowie - I assume that he has been a good signing for you? An absolute stalwart for us and a player who reads the game superbly. His last season with us wasn't his best but still a player who could have done a great job for us. If you have a look at our goals against column it is plain to see that the replacements haven't exactly worked out.

Dowie started really slowly. An own-goal on his debut, two stupid bookings against Dunfermline and a host of below-par displays where he seemed more bothered about being raging than actually playing football. Since about November though he's been really good, and he'll likely stroll to our Player of the Year award.  

A wee statement up from the future chairman on the OS. Sounds positive and he sounds keen.

He's not even the chairman yet and we've heard more from him than we have from Les Hope. Good fuckin riddance.

Its a blatant lift from the Lennox. I wonder if the press release was passed on to our web guys...

If you can get to the final game of the season needing to take something from East End (providing our playoff spot is booked) to finish ahead of Falkirk then you will surely bag the three points against our under 7s development team.

1 minute ago, sonsanorak said:

Its a blatant lift from the Lennox. I wonder if the press release was passed on to our web guys...

I have no insider info here, but chances are Steele (or someone on his behalf) wrote the press release and then sent it out for publication to the Lennox/Reporter (and other interested parties) with it appearing on our website as a matter of course.

That's normally how these things work. So it's not a matter of DFC lifting from the Lennox or vice-versa, it's purely a release being made public. It's very common in motorsport for a full release to go on a team's website - with individual publications (say Autosport, Motorsport News, Touring Car Times etc) then tinkering with it a wee bit before publishing.

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If you can get to the final game of the season needing to take something from East End (providing our playoff spot is booked) to finish ahead of Falkirk then you will surely bag the three points against our under 7s development team.

As much as the #scenes this would cause wouldn't be seen again for generations, I just can't see it transpiring without Falkirk going into complete meltdown. We aren't anywhere near consistent enough to put serious pressure on them IMO.

EDIT - I reserve the right to delete this comment should we win and Falkirk lose tonight.

Edited by The Moonster

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

As much as the #scenes this would cause wouldn't be seen again for generations, I just can't see it transpiring without Falkirk going into complete meltdown. We aren't anywhere near consistent enough to put serious pressure on them IMO.

EDIT - I reserve the right to delete this comment should we win and Falkirk lose tonight.

One win in our next three would be enough to put pressure on them if Falkirk lose their next three. Away to Inverness, away to Dundee United and away to St Mirren. That's not a completely ridiculous scenario

6 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

One win in our next three would be enough to put pressure on them if Falkirk lose their next three. Away to Inverness, away to Dundee United and away to St Mirren. That's not a completely ridiculous scenario

It's not ridiculous I agree. We've not really put a run of results together all season though and we need to in these last 5. I'm not writing us off yet but I think we've left ourselves too much to do (playing for a draw at TFS looking extremely silly now).

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Here's what Les Hope said we took the Chairman position in a statement on the club website:

Compare that to this:

Neither statement says too much, but one displays a certain enthusiasm and an understanding of the situation the club is in. Obviously it would be ridiculous to suggest John Steele is our saviour and we're all fine now off the back of one statement, but in a time where everyone is constantly playing over dooms day scenarios in their heads, I welcome some positivity (and hopefully some more transparency) from the club Chairman.

He done one good thing :rolleyes::P

I have no insider info here, but chances are Steele (or someone on his behalf) wrote the press release and then sent it out for publication to the Lennox/Reporter (and other interested parties) with it appearing on our website as a matter of course.
That's normally how these things work. So it's not a matter of DFC lifting from the Lennox or vice-versa, it's purely a release being made public.

I believe you are right So8; prepared by the trust / dfc media guys but the lennox a day quicker to publish.

As disappointing as tonight's result was, at least we've discovered our shooting boots with five in the last two games. Discounting games against Brechin, the fifth last goal we scored in the league was Froxy's against Dunfermline in November. 16 games ago.