Sons' sorrow

What a great day yesterday. Hospitality was first class, great food and service. Got a photo with the gents of 1972 and then watched us play with the handbrake off. No turgid football yesterday and the players gave their all. Caught up with Mr Sloan in the bowling club later and thanked him for a job well done to cater so well for 160 people. Saw Jonathan Watson sitting behind us, a new fan ?

1 hour ago, Jumbo Muir said:

What a great day yesterday. Hospitality was first class, great food and service. Got a photo with the gents of 1972 and then watched us play with the handbrake off. No turgid football yesterday and the players gave their all. Caught up with Mr Sloan in the bowling club later and thanked him for a job well done to cater so well for 160 people. Saw Jonathan Watson sitting behind us, a new fan ?

We were in hospitality too and it was great to see the class of 72. One sad note is that Peter Coleman tells me that Charlie Gallagher now has Alzheimer's. It was great though speaking with these Sons heroes.  Cracking meal too and unexpected quality fayre served up on the pitch too. Nice to see former director Billy Walker there. It's good to know that he still cares about the Sons.

Just before I start, let me say, I do think we'll be in the play-offs. We've left ourselves too much to do and will very likely fall short.

However... I refuse to accept it's a foregone conclusion or formality with the fixtures both us and Falkirk have to come.

And I'll also say, I do recognise that we'd need to win almost half the number of games in the final five than we have done all season, but it is doable with our remaining fixtures. Unlikely, aye but there is a possibility so until it's not feasible, I refuse accept a play-off. Fighting back to win having been pegged back twice yesterday shows fighting spirit and we'll need that no matter where we end up, safe or into a play-off...

OUR REMAINING FIXTURES
Morton (A)
Inverness (A)
Inverness (H)
Falkirk (H)
Dunfermline (A)

FALKIRK'S REMAINING FIXTURES
Inverness (A)
Dundee Utd (A)
St. Mirren (A)
Dumbarton (A)
St. Mirren (H)

PS - I accept that these sorts of stat things and analysing are Sonsteam of 08's thing, apologies if I've stepped on any toes.[emoji6]

We were in hospitality too and it was great to see the class of 72. One sad note is that Peter Coleman tells me that Charlie Gallagher now has Alzheimer's. It was great though speaking with these Sons heroes.  Cracking meal too and unexpected quality fayre served up on the pitch too. Nice to see former director Billy Walker there. It's good to know that he still cares about the Sons.

Aye, we were on the table to your right.

13 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Just before I start, let me say, I do think we'll be in the play-offs. We've left ourselves too much to do and will very likely fall short.

However... I refuse to accept it's a foregone conclusion or formality with the fixtures both us and Falkirk have to come.

And I'll also say, I do recognise that we'd need to win almost half the number of games in the final five than we have done all season, but it is doable with our remaining fixtures. Unlikely, aye but there is a possibility so until it's not feasible, I refuse accept a play-off. Fighting back to win having been pegged back twice yesterday shows fighting spirit and we'll need that no matter where we end up, safe or into a play-off...

OUR REMAINING FIXTURES
Morton (A)
Inverness (A)
Inverness (H)
Falkirk (H)
Dunfermline (A)

Inverness (A)
Dundee Utd (A)
St. Mirren (A)
Dumbarton (A)
St. Mirren (H)

PS - I accept that these sorts of stat things and analysing are Sonsteam of 08's thing, apologies if I've stepped on any toes.emoji6.png

Interestingly we have a kinder run-in (particularly that home:away ratio!) but we've just left ourselves far too much to do. One slip up, which could come as soon as tomorrow night, and it's over.

All about momentum for the playoffs now I'd say.

1 hour ago, Consolidate said:

Interestingly we have a kinder run-in (particularly that home:away ratio!) but we've just left ourselves far too much to do. One slip up, which could come as soon as tomorrow night, and it's over.

All about momentum for the playoffs now I'd say.

Well you never know....I seem to recall a season in the late 70's/early 80's when QoS were utterly deid in the watter but miraculously saved themselves from relegation - perhaps SD can confirm.  We are though needing snookers, of that there is no doubt.

31 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well you never know....I seem to recall a season in the late 70's/early 80's when QoS were utterly deid in the watter but miraculously saved themselves from relegation - perhaps SD can confirm.  We are though needing snookers, of that there is no doubt.

Before my time that though I think there was some sort of Peter Dickson inspired recovery to escape relegation in that time frame.

In more recent years we had a famous "Great Escape" in 2006 when we were 12 points behind Stranraer at the end of January and stayed up with a game to spare but we were assisted by Stranraer thinking it was done and selling their best player (Allan Jenkins) to Gretna in January.

16 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

OUR REMAINING FIXTURES
Morton (A)
Inverness (A)
Inverness (H)
Falkirk (H)
Dunfermline (A)

Inverness (A)
Dundee Utd (A)
St. Mirren (A)
Dumbarton (A)
St. Mirren (H)

PS - I accept that these sorts of stat things and analysing are Sonsteam of 08's thing, apologies if I've stepped on any toes.emoji6.png

Even if we can take three more points from our next three games than Falkirk take from their next three games that would make it interesting. We'd go in to the home game against Falkirk five points behind them so a win would take it to the last day of the season. Then anything could happen

I wouldn't bet on it, but I seem to remember in 2003/04 we were 10 points behind Morton with 4 games to go and ended up finishing a point ahead of them.

29 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I wouldn't bet on it, but I seem to remember in 2003/04 we were 10 points behind Morton with 4 games to go and ended up finishing a point ahead of them.

Aye Morton under cowboy mccormack imploded.We beat East Fife(1 nil) morton(3 nil) arbroath(3 nil) and Alloa(3-1) TO MISS OUT BY 2 PTS on promotion.Most amazing run ever by a team was Stranraer though.97-98 season...went from bottom in January to winning the league by May.

18 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Aye Morton under cowboy mccormack imploded.We beat East Fife(1 nil) morton(3 nil) arbroath(3 nil) and Alloa(3-1) TO MISS OUT BY 2 PTS on promotion.Most amazing run ever by a team was Stranraer though.97-98 season...went from bottom in January to winning the league by May.

97-98 saw the climax of an amazing 3yr run for us as well...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Before my time that though I think there was some sort of Peter Dickson inspired recovery to escape relegation in that time frame.

In more recent years we had a famous "Great Escape" in 2006 when we were 12 points behind Stranraer at the end of January and stayed up with a game to spare but we were assisted by Stranraer thinking it was done and selling their best player (Allan Jenkins) to Gretna in January.

That's the one !!

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

How is Andy Stirling doing for you guys?

Decent enough. He had a really good game at the weekend, and is a far better option than we had, but he hasn't quite hit the tremendous form he found himself in towards the end of last season.

I like him as a player a lot though. He's skilful and tricky, but works himself into the ground defensively. If you lot would like to let us have him permanently again then that'd be absolutely smashing.

If that signals the departure of Les Hope then by all accounts that’s a very good outcome. As far as I’m aware he has brought absolutely nothing to the table in terms of business acumen.