Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, albundy said:

Was thinking that one positive that can come from today is that some of the folk that came along continue to do so.

Can't really see it, can you?

The fans, Trust etc done their bit, travelling in numbers with great colour & voice too.

Were we entertained on the pitch though?

Aitken's negative team selections & tactics are killing it for me (and others). 

Would prefer to lose 6-5 than a 92nd minute injury time 1-0 defeat. :(

Gutted. 

Big Hutton was immense and Scott Gallagher had a good game.  Handling was a-fucking-bsymal - does he have a tag on that prevents him from running forward with the ball?  We weren't exactly playing the most attacking system either so the fact he was stopping loads of moves forward was not ideal.  Stewart should have started that for me - Beanie is not a lone striker.  If we'd had a proper go at them I think Caley were there for the taking today.

Attention back on the league.  Don't see us finishing anywhere but 9th but still points to play for.  We need to be brave and attack teams.

9 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Gutted. 

Big Hutton was immense and Scott Gallagher had a good game.  Handling was a-fucking-bsymal - does he have a tag on that prevents him from running forward with the ball?  We weren't exactly playing the most attacking system either so the fact he was stopping loads of moves forward was not ideal.  Stewart should have started that for me - Beanie is not a lone striker.  If we'd had a proper go at them I think Caley were there for the taking today.

Attention back on the league.  Don't see us finishing anywhere but 9th but still points to play for.  We need to be brave and attack teams.

I thought Handling showed glimpses of decent stuff, but he wasn't consistent enough. 

What today did show for me is that Beany is done. It really hasn't worked coming out of retirement and perhaps a lower level of football is now his level.

I kind of lost all my emotions when Caley scored. I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but it was like everything just went silent, and since then I've kind of been in a trance. It's almost like the denial stage of grief, I'm just refusing to accept that it happened.

That was a horrible way to lose a final. Arguably about as bad as it gets actually. But it was absolutely wonderful to see so many Sons fans, and so many people decked out in tops, scarves and the like. If we can even persuade a couple of hundred of them to come along to the Rock regularly that would be a huge boost.

Kyle Hutton and Scott Gallacher were both excellent today. Arguably their best games for us. Them aside though I didn't think anyone really, truly stepped up to the occasion.

I always wondered how getting to a final would impact some of the younger guys, and I think a few of them were a bit scared to take risks. Handling was very, very safe for example. Boomer didn't have a great game - though I suspect he felt he was walking on eggshells after the early booking (and surely should've been given a second booking if it was him who conceded the penalty?)

Dowie and Mango were brave, and chucked themselves at everything, but again they lost possession cheaply. I lost count of the amount of times Mango fired it straight out of play.

The gamble with Tom Walsh didn't really pay-off either. At the start he looked like a guy who hadn't played in a month or so, and then as his sharpness improved he got injured. I'd have Stirling straight back in over him on Tuesday night - whether Walsh is fit or not.

Up top Beany worked hard, and did well to win a few fouls, but you can't really expect a 35 year old striker who has spent the latter part of his career as a winger to lead the line. I can only assume that Mark Stewart is still carrying a knock of some kind, because he'd be starting every day of the week for me.

I was pleased to see Grant Gallagher back on the bench. I know I've been a critic of his, but he's had an absolutely brutal time of it with injury. He deserves a wee break.

24 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I had already decided to ditch Celtic for a season ticket at the Sons next season but today has just cemented that decision. These days do impact people so you never know, perhaps there will be a few more new faces along next season.

I was at the league cup final earlier in the season as a Celtic fan and it was shite, there was no build up, no atmosphere, I never even wore my scarf that day. We won but it pretty much felt like another run of the mill league win.

Today I woke up to my 2 kids chanting a Dumbarton song at me, over excited, shirts and scarfs on for a trip down to the stadium for a few beers before the buses left. They gave the kids a goody bag with balloons, confetti stuff and a son's trust application form (which will be getting filled in). We get there and they see all the black and gold flags and feel the excitement. My eldest was nearly in tears when Caley scored. The whole experience was fantastic despite the result.

Glad to hear that TartanTony, welcome aboard, and the kids. Great to hear

Probably just on a bit of a downer after the result today. I go home & away and I'm increasingly fed up with Aitken's tactics & bizarre formations, not going for it today in a one-off Final was very frustrating.

All the best

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

What today did show for me is that Beany is done.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Beany is done as much as it pains me to say it. He's not a lone striker and hardly touched the ball today

Saints fans were saying similar about Steven MacLean earlier this season, and it seems an identical situation, in that its more a case of the striker being completely isolated.

Think your manager tried to combat that by playing Handling in behind him, but that set up led to ICT having an extra man in the middle and having that advantage slowly dragged them into dominance, especially second half when they upped their tempo. I think the only negative aspect of the play was your left back McLaughlin refusing to go beyond Walsh, which seen multiple moments where Hutton had the ball, Walsh came short with two defenders, and Hutton simply got crowded out. Seemed a perfect chance to get in behind Caleys defence and it was ignored all match.

Just my opinion of course, thats the first time I've seen Dumbarton this season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

54 minutes ago, Supremesons said:

Hard one to take that. I feel not having a good striker this year is our biggest weakness

I'm gutted.

We had a fully fit striker on the bench today, he - Mark Stewart came on after 74mins.

Stevie Wonder though, started Ian Russell up front, never a lone forward, to be fair to Beanie. 35 yrs old & fresh out of retirement ahead of a recognised, hard working attacker, the aforementioned Mark Stewart, who can stretch defences, very well.

Just as bad though was the lively, attacking young prospect Liam Burt who finally came on in 81mins.

10 mins game time he gets.

Tom Walsh missing for the best part of 2 months appears from nowhere, starts & tires fairly quickly.

I honestly can't get my head around it.

This wa my 3D game this season. Left at full time and got home 4 hours later. Ok we lost but what a fantastic day. Top marks to the trust for the buses, flags etc.  Met a friend who was wearing a scarf that was aired at Celtic semi absolutely magic

Really sad to see you guys lose today, was a massively fun day out for us when we won it. It must be hard to lose in that way especially but it's a great advert for the Sons getting to a cup final and taking that many there. It's insane to see that many fans travel to the game and hopefully you guys retain them and run the revenge train to relegate ICT. For some reason always had a wee soft spot for Dumbarton and liked to see them defy the odds each season in staying up.

Hopefully the great escape starts a week after our game :D 

Surprised to see Sons complaining about Aitken's tactics.  I thought you were really well organised and cruising towards a win on penalties until Froxy failed to track his man.  And i don't buy the excuse that he was tired cos of Cyprus - he only had to play for 20 minutes and does he ever track his full-back?

We're full-time, half our team's on Premiership wages but the 3 games we've played against each other have been tight as f**k. Aitken's overachieving.  I'd have him over Robbo tomorrow. 

17 minutes ago, CaleyStan said:

Surprised to see Sons complaining about Aitken's tactics.  I thought you were really well organised and cruising towards a win on penalties until Froxy failed to track his man.  And i don't buy the excuse that he was tired cos of Cyprus - he only had to play for 20 minutes and does he ever track his full-back?

We're full-time, half our team's on Premiership wages but the 3 games we've played against each other have been tight as f**k. Aitken's overachieving.  I'd have him over Robbo tomorrow. 

and that gets your third bottom scraping away from relegation? No wonder there's financial mutterings going on around your club (and not ours for once!) 

Saints fans were saying similar about Steven MacLean earlier this season, and it seems an identical situation, in that its more a case of the striker being completely isolated.
Think your manager tried to combat that by playing Handling in behind him, but that set up led to ICT having an extra man in the middle and having that advantage slowly dragged them into dominance, especially second half when they upped their tempo. I think the only negative aspect of the play was your left back McLaughlin refusing to go beyond Walsh, which seen multiple moments where Hutton had the ball, Walsh came short with two defenders, and Hutton simply got crowded out. Seemed a perfect chance to get in behind Caleys defence and it was ignored all match.
Just my opinion of course, thats the first time I've seen Dumbarton this season.

The difference between MacLean and Russell is that he is still your go to man. For us there is about 3 better options for the lone striker role.

In my time watching Dumbarton I don’t think I’ve seen a Left back overlap more than McLaughlin, but, yesterday was only his second game back for 3 months out injured so fitness may have been an issue.

Another reason for lacking a goal threat was the lack of pace out wide usually Stirling and Froxy give us this but obviously neither were in the Starting line up.

It does reinforce to me that Handling and Walsh can’t play in the same team though. They both need to play through the middle as they are so much better there.

Starting Stewart up front seems very obvious and anyone could see he would have been better than Russell, must be nursing a knock.

Thought David Smith, Kyle Hutton and Scott Gallagher were all solid. Particularly happy about Smith’s performance given Wardrop’s injury.

I don’t really understand Handling. When moving off the ball he is slow and lethargic and the ball almost runs a way from him unless it is played straight to his feet, however, occasionally he’ll come out with a smart turn and burst of pace which is quite confusing.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I take it we can have MacLean when he's finished at Saints? I've just always assumed that it's a right of passage prior to retirement for Saints cult-heroes. 

Spoiler

He'll score for fun in League 1 next season

7 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

The difference between MacLean and Russell is that he is still your go to man. For us there is about 3 better options for the lone striker role.

In my time watching Dumbarton I don’t think I’ve seen a Left back overlap more than McLaughlin, but, yesterday was only his second game back for 3 months out injured so fitness may have been an issue.

Another reason for lacking a goal threat was the lack of pace out wide usually Stirling and Froxy give us this but obviously neither were in the Starting line up.

Tbf Kane is now our main striker, of we play one then it'll be him. I just seen similarities in how they play. Both seem to like to have the first and final touch in a move, if that makes sense. 

And I wondered, as I say I don't see Dumbarton matches, so wasn't sure if it was the norm or not. I'd seen plenty of chat on here about you maybe struggling to have a full bench so assumed there was a fair whack of injuries. 

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I take it we can have MacLean when he's finished at Saints? I've just always assumed that it's a right of passage prior to retirement for Saints cult-heroes. 

Hide contents

He'll score for fun in League 1 next season

I'd love it if that happened. He's still, stats wise, one of the most clinical strikers in the country, sure one of the twitter pages had him scoring 50% of his chances this season, top scorer Morelos is at 22%. 

Only worry is you and Stirling end up in the same division. They're virtually our B side now.