Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Think it was more of a, "not sure how it is possible" than a "he won't try". It would mean him getting a flight back late on Friday, which there might not even be, and then still being able to get home and rest enough to play the next day.

I had a quick look at flights because I did wonder if it was possible. It doesn't appear to be. Last flight out of Larnaca is 10pm but with the connections required that doesn't get him back into Glasgow until 3pm on the day of the final. Given that the Cyprus game is an evening match he won't make that flight in any case. The only viable option I can see is him getting the 7am flight on the day of the final, which gets him into Glasgow at 2:30pm, which means he could conceivably take a seat on the bench if there are no delays. Alternatively, that 7am flight is with a connection through Birmingham, the flight gets to Birmingham at 10:30am, no idea if a train from there would get him up the road quicker.

So, aye, I tend to agree with Stevie that it doesn't really look possible. When you consider how much use he would be to us after completing a journey like that and after potentially playing some part in the Cyprus game, you have to question whether it would even be worth attempting. I expect he'll opt to play for Cyprus and whilst I think he would play a bigger part in our final, I'm not sure I would grudge him that - he's been clear for a while now it's a dream for him to represent Cyprus.

The only way Froxy would make it back in time is a horrible multi-flight journey - Larnaca to Athens and then Athens to the UK. And that leaves absolutely no scope for delays. Would get into Edinburgh around 1:45. Its only about 45 minutes from Edinburgh to Perth. Add in time to collect luggage/clear the airport and you're looking at getting to the game no more than an hour before kick off.

Can't see it happening.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had a quick look at flights because I did wonder if it was possible. It doesn't appear to be. Last flight out of Larnaca is 10pm but with the connections required that doesn't get him back into Glasgow until 3pm on the day of the final. Given that the Cyprus game is an evening match he won't make that flight in any case. The only viable option I can see is him getting the 7am flight on the day of the final, which gets him into Glasgow at 2:30pm, which means he could conceivably take a seat on the bench if there are no delays. Alternatively, that 7am flight is with a connection through Birmingham, the flight gets to Birmingham at 10:30am, no idea if a train from there would get him up the road quicker.

So, aye, I tend to agree with Stevie that it doesn't really look possible. When you consider how much use he would be to us after completing a journey like that and after potentially playing some part in the Cyprus game, you have to question whether it would even be worth attempting. I expect he'll opt to play for Cyprus and whilst I think he would play a bigger part in our final, I'm not sure I would grudge him that - he's been clear for a while now it's a dream for him to represent Cyprus.

I thought it was simpler than this - if you are called up you are obliged to attend for the international duration or you declare yourself injured, in which case you cannot play for your club.  However, I think there may be a loophole if the associations consider that the player is unlikely to play in the international and a dispensation can be made.

SD will have the scoop :smartass but we may well be Froxyless next week.

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I thought it was simpler than this - if you are called up you are obliged to attend for the international duration or you declare yourself injured, in which case you cannot play for your club.  However, I think there may be a loophole if the associations consider that the player is unlikely to play in the international and a dispensation can be made.

Did we not have the likes of Lee McCulloch and Kris Boyd refuse to play for Scotland whilst Burley was gaffer despite being fit? I wasn't aware that you were obliged to show up unless injured.

Edited by The Moonster

Jings, player availability news has echos of the semi-final buildup. 

This potential OUT list is ridiculous.

• Dick (Cup-tied)
  • Stirling (Cup-tied)
  • Nisbet (Cup-tied)
  • Wilson (Cup-tied)
  • Gallagher (Injured)
  • McLaughlin (Injured)
  • Walsh (Injured)
  • Nade (Unavailable)
  • Froxylias (International duty)
  • Burt (International duty)
Edited by Consolidate

52 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

48 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Did we not have the likes of Lee McCulloch and Kris Boyd refuse to play for Scotland whilst Burley was gaffer despite being fit? I wasn't aware that you were obliged to show up unless injured.

It's not an area I'm massively clued up on funnily enough. We don't have a lot of international call up issues down Palmerston way! But.....

As I understand it, technically while still a registered footballer, if your National Association insist on calling you up for a designated FIFA international date then you have to go and if you refuse then you are barred from playing at club level in that period anyway. In practice if you wish to retire from consideration for international football it's virtually unheard of for a National Association not to honour that and insist on the FIFA rights. I believe France once refused to let Claude Makalele retire and insisted on calling him up against his wishes!

Of course, the association have it within their remit to let someone off duty if they wish or allow early departure / leaving camp temporarily to play a club game type stuff. There have been instances of u21 keepers being allowed to leave an international squad to play a club match on a Friday night and return to the squad for a weekend fixture, that sort of thing. Or Cyprus might call up Froxylias to the squad, let him train for a day or two but acknowledge he's not actually going to play and let him leave early. People can be release from a squad once selected. Was there not some argument a couple of years ago where Raith Rovers were due to play Rangers in a match during international week for the u21s and Hardie or somebody was released from the squad to play for Rangers but someone on loan to Raith wasn't. Can't recall the actual details now but I remember Raith complaining to the SFA about it.

Pleasing that they let us keep Wardrop for the final.  Hopefully common sense prevails with Burt, I guess we couldn't ask for him to be released until we officially extend his loan from Rangers.

Praying Walsh is back but I haven't seen anything that suggests he will be.

I'm quite surprised that the likes of Wardrope and Burt are happy for us to request they are excused from international duty to play in the final.

I'm not sure if both of them are regulars but I'd have thought the two of them would rather play for Scotland than turn out for us, even if it is a final.

If I was Burt I'd be looking for guarantees of a spot in the starting 11 before I was withdrawn from international duty.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm quite surprised that the likes of Wardrope and Burt are happy for us to request they are excused from international duty to play in the final.

I'm not sure if both of them are regulars but I'd have thought the two of them would rather play for Scotland than turn out for us, even if it is a final.

If I was Burt I'd be looking for guarantees of a spot in the starting 11 before I was withdrawn from international duty.

Surely with Stirling and Nisbit cup tied, and Froxy unlikely to be there, he must start.  I'd start him anyway!

If he doesn't start and Walsh misses out, are we looking at Gallagher, Handling, Russell as the 7, 10 and 11...?

What a fucking negative moment right befor a final.Nade caught up in that shitstorm,players injured and or cuptied ...others away on International duty.Literally we will have 13 men standing and that depends on everyone coming thru 90 mins against an upferrit Brechin side out to get their first win.eJEEZUSSS.

1 minute ago, microdave said:

I remember ten years ago when we were at the foot of the 3rd division and thinking that in a decade we'll be disappointed at two players missing a cup final because they're playing international football!

Ah yes, context is a great thing!

1 minute ago, microdave said:

I remember ten years ago when we were at the foot of the 3rd division and thinking that in a decade we'll be disappointed at two players missing a cup final because they're playing international football!

I aspire upwards not the bottom of Division 3.Whatsmore its our first final in 121 years having so many out is shite.