Sons' sorrow

29 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It's not always about the result though. It's about the occassion.

We travelled down to TNS in our hoardes and reached our first domestic cup final in over a century with two stunning late goals. The whole day was outstanding from start to finish and celebrating those goals on the terrace are memories that will quite literally last a lifetime.

This.

We've been in four Challenge Cup finals and I've enjoyed them all (though the 2-0 defeat at Perth to Ross County wasn't glorious to be fair). Our run to the first one out of nowhere played a big part in waking us up as a club and brought us to where we are now when a club that generally had home gate of under 1,000 at the time took circa 4,000 to our first Cup Final ever.

People can say what they like about the Challenge Cup but the final is a great day. Back in the day I even dyed my hair into a blue Mohican for the final against Brechin! And went on a three day bender with some of the players afterward! Great memories. The final win over Partick five years ago was another terrific day too in front of 10,000 fans.

Enjoy every bit of it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This.

We've been in four Challenge Cup finals and I've enjoyed parts of all of them (though the 2-0 defeat at Perth to Ross County wasn't glorious to be fair). Our run to the first one out of nowhere played a big part in waking us up as a club and brought us to where we are now when a club that generally had home gate of under 1,000 at the time took circa 4,000 to our first Cup Final ever.

People can say what they like about the Challenge Cup but the final is a great day. Back in the day I even dyed my hair into a blue Mohican for the final against Brechin! And went on a three day bender with some of the players afterward! Great memories. The final win over Partick five years ago was another terrific day too in front of 10,000 fans.

Enjoy every bit of it.

Well said that man.

5 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

All I know is when I look back in years to come I'll be thinking about the final we won and not semi finals we lost.

I wont google it but I think I can name 4 out the 5 of the previous winners raith, livvy, rangers and Dundee utd.

And rangers near filled hampden for it.

Hopefully you are right, about winning this Final.

Clearly in a minority but the Challenge cup just doesn't do it for me. Can anyone remember the last five winners? I have to say I'm pretty astonished that you think that beating a Welsh side with an average gate of a couple of hundred is more memorable than getting a goalless draw with what was probably the best team in Europe at the time

It’s not really a fair comparison though. Not comparing apples with apples. However, despite putting up a good show in the two 1970 games we ultimately lost the tie. The 1972 game v Berwick to clinch promotion was more memorable because it won the league for us. In turn I remember much more about Annan and Airdrie because they were more recent. It could be argued that getting to the Premier in 83-84 eclipsed everything. Winning a trophy would be great and can anyone rattle off the last five Championship or League 1 winners?

It’s not really a fair comparison though. Not comparing apples with apples. However, despite putting up a good show in the two 1970 games we ultimately lost the tie. The 1972 game v Berwick to clinch promotion was more memorable because it won the league for us. In turn I remember much more about Annan and Airdrie because they were more recent. It could be argued that getting to the Premier in 83-84 eclipsed everything. Winning a trophy would be great and can anyone rattle off the last five Championship or League 1 winners?

Not sure that I agree that something is more memorable because you win something. I was responding to OKI saying the New Saints match was the most memorable thing that he had seen in fifty five years of supporting the club. For me it isn't and won't be because for me it's all about achievement. The result against Celtic was a great achievement, promotion after fifty years in the second division was a great achievement, getting to the premier was a great achievement, staying in the Championship for five years is a great achievement.
Getting to the challenge cup final isn't imo.

Not sure that I agree that something is more memorable because you win something. I was responding to OKI saying the New Saints match was the most memorable thing that he had seen in fifty five years of supporting the club. For me it isn't and won't be because for me it's all about achievement. The result against Celtic was a great achievement, promotion after fifty years in the second division was a great achievement, getting to the premier was a great achievement, staying in the Championship for five years is a great achievement.

^^^ defo never travelled to Oswestry.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

You can celebrate failure all you want. 

The rest of sons can celebrate a cup win.

Hibs, Rangers, Hearts, Dundee and Partick Thistle. I can only really do that because we've been in this division for each of these seasons. I honestly have no idea who won it the year we were promoted.

Well it will hardly be memorable if you weren't in attendance ! QED

And you are misinterpreting my remarks about Oswestry, as the experience started at 9am on the Saturday and ended at 6pm the following day. The match itself was only one course of the banquet.

Well it will hardly be memorable if you weren't in attendance ! QED

And you are misinterpreting my remarks about Oswestry, as the experience started at 9am on the Saturday and ended at 6pm the following day. The match itself was only one course of the banquet.

Well that's a different argument isn't it? If you think a weekend away is memorable that's fair enough. I was only talking about the football

26 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Not quite sure which of those was failure tbh

Before you changed your tune you rattled off two semi finals at hampden are more an achievement than the challenge cup final.

Bit before my time and considering it's our first final in 121 years I'm assuming we got pumped out in those semi finals.

So aye you're celebrating failure.

Are you going to the final out of curiosity?

Before you changed your tune you rattled off two semi finals at hampden are more an achievement than the challenge cup final.

Bit before my time and considering it's our first final in 121 years I'm assuming we got pumped out in those semi finals.

So aye you're celebrating failure.

Are you going to the final out of curiosity?

If you consider drawing with what was probably the best team in Europe after extra team and then in the replay coming back from two nil down to two each before going out to a goal that shouldn't have been allowed as failure. And I do consider reaching a league cup semi final and Scottish cup semi final as more of an achievement than reaching the challenge cup final.
Yes I'll be at the final

8 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

If you consider drawing with what was probably the best team in Europe after extra team and then in the replay coming back from two nil down to two each before going out to a goal that shouldn't have been allowed as failure. And I do consider reaching a league cup semi final and Scottish cup semi final as more of an achievement than reaching the challenge cup final.
Yes I'll be at the final

And what trophy did we get for that?