Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Young gun said:

Knowing the apathy to Dumbarton FC locally ,I doubt you will get over 1000-1500

It would surprise you just how many would turn out for a final.

A few years ago we took an estimated 600 to Aberdeen for a quarter final where we had no realistic chance of progression (but managed to put on a very good display).

If ticket pricing is pitched properly then people will turn out for no other reason than curiosity. We'll take just about 100% of our home crowd with us because we're overwhelmingly a season ticket crowd. Fans who go to almost every home league game will go to a cup final. Those fans will take family members and friends. Add in the locals who don't really follow the club but who would quite like to be part of the occasion.

I think we'll manage 1500-2000 fans. I'd be looking for an allocation of 2500 to be sure. If I was the organisers then I'd also be offering a discounted family ticket option. 

It would surprise you just how many would turn out for a final.

A few years ago we took an estimated 600 to Aberdeen for a quarter final where we had no realistic chance of progression (but managed to put on a very good display).

If ticket pricing is pitched properly then people will turn out for no other reason than curiosity. We'll take just about 100% of our home crowd with us because we're overwhelmingly a season ticket crowd. Fans who go to almost every home league game will go to a cup final. Those fans will take family members and friends. Add in the locals who don't really follow the club but who would quite like to be part of the occasion.

I think we'll manage 1500-2000 fans. I'd be looking for an allocation of 2500 to be sure. If I was the organisers then I'd also be offering a discounted family ticket option. 

To further your point, I get along to 4 or 5 Sons games a season on average, and a ticket to the final is top of my priority list right now. My wife, who usually only tags along to women's football says she's coming too, and my brother, who hasn't been to a game since the playoff finals against Airdrie has asked me to keep him posted on ticket details. I'm sure there'll be plenty of folk in a similar situation too

I'd be disappointed if we took anything less than 2000. The novelty factor alone will bring out many, plus our standard 5-600 hardcore and many exiled Sons who will fancy a trip home for the big one off games. The club really need to play their part here though and capitalise on the clubs first major final in lifetime. As does the local papers.

I had a Dumbarton based Celtic fan at my desk today asking me about the final. A decent guy despite his allegiance to one of them, and general apathy for the club. Saying this morning he fancies coming along for the final. Slightly condescending maybe, but welcome nonetheless.  There will be a fair few who fancy the day out.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

Just having a look at the fixture list. We have 6 games between now and the final.  So I guess squad Rotation is going to play a big part.

I was actually thinking that myself when I first looked. I do think we have quite a big squad at the moment though - if we can get some of the more important guys fit! 

Remember we were missing Sam Wardrope and Tom Walsh on Saturday. Obviously guys like Stirling and Nisbett can't play but if we can keep fit what we do have those guys can play in the league games on the week of the final to rest some of the guys who will be available for the final.

With everyone fit/available we actually have some very handy options.

In an attacking sense you have Stirling, Walsh, Nisbet, Russell, Stewart, Froxy, Handling, Burt, Nade (he may be done but he still has something to offer with the right support IMO). These are all very decent options for us. You also have the likes of Seagal and Wilson who can provide cover, although I don't particularly rate either.

I liked the look of Burt when he came on against TNS - quick, direct and looking to hit the byline (something we've lacked so far with our wingers preferring the cut inside). I'd start him and Stirling tonight with Nisbet or Stewart (depending on his fitness) up front and Froxy in behind.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

With everyone fit/available we actually have some very handy options.

In an attacking sense you have Stirling, Walsh, Nisbet, Russell, Stewart, Froxy, Handling, Burt, Nade (he may be done but he still has something to offer with the right support IMO). These are all very decent options for us. You also have the likes of Seagal and Wilson who can provide cover, although I don't particularly rate either.

I liked the look of Burt when he came on against TNS - quick, direct and looking to hit the byline (something we've lacked so far with our wingers preferring the cut inside). I'd start him and Stirling tonight with Nisbet or Stewart (depending on his fitness) up front and Froxy in behind.

That has the potential to be very, very tasty. Be a bit harsh on Handling mind you, but I'm not sure how you can fit him and Froxy in the same team - and I'm not sure what his fitness will be like having played 80 minutes on Astro.

Stirling and Burt running at the byline :wub:

I conducted an interview with Craig Barr last Thursday ahead of the TNS match. 

I spoke to him about his transition into PT football, the season so far and looking at the remainder of the campaign. 

You can find my article, here.

P.S all the best against Morton tonight, hopefully 3 points for yous! :thumsup2

1 minute ago, doonhamer64 said:

Wouldn't Stirling be cup tied as he played for Queens in the Irn Bru Cup?

He is, aye. 

Assuming Wardrop isn't fit, I take it I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind seeing us going with Dowie and RB again? Granted he's not going to cross the halfway line, but he looked solid at the weekend - and given what Frank Ross did to us last time having a disciplined guy like him there would be a decent idea.

Assuming Dill's out I can see us going with something like this tonight:

Scott Gallacher

Andy Dowie Aidan Wilson Craig Barr Liam Dick

Stuart Carswell Kyle Hutton

Andy Stirling Danny Handling Dimitris Froxylias

Kevin Nisbet

I'd be keen to start Liam Burt, but given the options we have I can't see Stevie handing two wingers debuts. Could be wrong mind you - in which case I'd imagine Froxy would be in the middle, and Handling would drop out.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Plenty of lapsed fans like yourself coming out the woodwork for this one :P

We'll hit 1,500 no problem IMO.

Everywhere is different I guess but for all our Challenge Cup Finals we've at least doubled our usual League attendance, even when one of them was in Perth. The first one after decades of no such occasion, which is probably the best comparison to you, we took about 4,000 to Motherwell for the final against Falkirk when our usual League attendances at that time were below 1,000. I'd fully expect you to take at least 2,000 for this final, maybe even nearer 3,000, but you guys will know your public better than me.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Everywhere is different I guess but for all our Challenge Cup Finals we've at least doubled our usual League attendance, even when one of them was in Perth. The first one after decades of no such occasion, which is probably the best comparison to you, we took about 4,000 to Motherwell for the final against Falkirk when our usual League attendances at that time were below 1,000. I'd fully expect you to take at least 2,000 for this final, maybe even nearer 3,000, but you guys will know your public better than me.

I agree.  I think the semi-final being on telly (and the way we won it) has woken some of the locals up. I've had a ridiculous number of congratulations and messages of "see you at the final" from people who normally don't bat an eyelid about Dumbarton. I am hopeful we'll push 3,000 and I think that would be fantastic. The best thing that could happen is the final venue/date/time gets set as quickly as possible and the club can start the PR machine - first domestic final for over 100 years has a fair amount of marketing power in it IMO.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I agree.  I think the semi-final being on telly (and the way we won it) has woken some of the locals up. I've had a ridiculous number of congratulations and messages of "see you at the final" from people who normally don't bat an eyelid about Dumbarton. I am hopeful we'll push 3,000 and I think that would be fantastic. The best thing that could happen is the final venue/date/time gets set as quickly as possible and the club can start the PR machine - first domestic final for over 100 years has a fair amount of marketing power in it IMO.

Agree 100%  this is a great time to get people in the town interested. 

Surprised we’ve never had a sign at the retail park (where ASDA is) advertising games.

Would be good to see an event at the stadium after the game, to celebrate getting to the final or the win.

Do a special offer on scarfs, even if they just break even get the colours out their.

A deal that if you go to final you can get into the remaining home games for a couple of quid off normal price. 

Some of the messages I got off folk were like I had just celebrated my wedding day or something.

I've even had folk from work who have zero affiliation to Dumbarton at all saying they are interested in coming along. Go for it troops, enjoy a day out with Scottish fitba's soundest c***s.

The fact it's an international weekend should help with numbers as well.