Sons' sorrow

No match preview up on the OS.Poor stuff...wanted to know how the injury situation is even if the game doesnt go ahead.We are positively in the doldrums in terms of info and even rumours.

I'd imagine they will be awaiting the outcome of the 1pm inspection with a preview ready to go should it get the go ahead (unlikely IMO)

I feel the info that comes out via the OS and social media channels is good. Especially considering we don't have full time or paid staff to update them. You always get decent interviews with players, match previews, match reports etc. I'd say on that side of things we're better than some of the full-time teams, especially when you throw Sons TV into the mix.

Rumour wise it's much of a muchness, we know Stevie is working on trying to bring a couple in, I suppose that's up to the local press to bleed that info out of Aitken if he's willing to give anything away, which I doubt he would unless a deal is looking very likely.

Ryan Hardie won't be joining us this window either then, he's signed for Livi. 

This window has been very depressing for us so far. Players we’d love to have joining rivals, meanwhile our only signing is a 35 year old and there is rumours of another 35 year old and a relatively unproven winger.

3 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

This window has been very depressing for us so far. Players we’d love to have joining rivals, meanwhile our only signing is a 35 year old and there is rumours of another 35 year old and a relatively unproven winger.

That was us up until a few days ago, still plenty of time for you guys to get someone else in. 

If we were to bring in Lyle and Aird or Stirling I'd be happy with our January dealings.

I'm still not convinced we have the cash to do so mind you. Aitken's interview on the OS today doesn't fill me with confidence tbh.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If we were to bring in Lyle and Aird or Stirling I'd be happy with our January dealings.

I'm still not convinced we have the cash to do so mind you. Aitken's interview on the OS today doesn't fill me with confidence tbh.

Aye, I totally agree. I think it'll be a massive ask to avoid ninth anyway, but bringing in a quality striker, and quality winger would give us the best possible chance. I'd fancy our chances in the playoffs too - albeit probably not against Ayr given we never beat them!

Reassuring to see on the OS that Hutton's new deal will only be 'til the end of the season. When he's playing well he can be outstanding, but when he has an off day (which has been pretty much every game post his Xabi Alonso performance in Paisley) he's seriously brutal. Not the sort of player I'd be chucking a long-term (for us) contract at.

Assuming the return of Morrison and Roy to their parent clubs has freed up some cash, I don't expect there will be much to augment it.

And reading between the lines that's probably as downbeat an assessment from Stevie as I can remember.

In seasons past we've allowed the budget to stretch further than intended around this time, but unless some kind soul is prepared to do some private underwriting, I don't see there being much to enthuse over this time around.

Perhaps a win over Peterhead and an away tie at Parkhead or Ibrox could mortgage something [emoji386][emoji386][emoji386]

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

That was us up until a few days ago, still plenty of time for you guys to get someone else in. 

Envious as f**k at the kind of players you are bringing in.Livi could seriously make the playoffs and give any team at the bottom of the premier league a run for their money.Where do you get the cash?Kudos all the same....

10 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Envious as f**k at the kind of players you are bringing in.Livi could seriously make the playoffs and give any team at the bottom of the premier league a run for their money.Where do you get the cash?Kudos all the same....

They don't... everyone knows that.

37 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

It's mainly down to Hopkin being smart and knowing the right players to bring in.

We've got a new owner in who's keeping us run tight to a budget, so the guy above is wrong. We had a good run in the cup last year. After all the incomings and outgoings this window we're set to shave 1k off our monthly budget at the end of the window. We have a steady attendance of over 1,000 which isn't much but it's a little bit of stability. We've got players like Mackin on £250 a week with a £5 goal bonus :D 

Hopkin's mentality seems to be picking up players who are on their way up in their career, guys who will go onto bigger things.

The club is run on a small full time scale with some players being given part time wages, one of the biggest reasons we can do this is that the majority of our squad have came from League1/2. Pittman came from the juniors, Byrne came from Dunfermline's League One winning team, Mullin came from Albion Rovers, Robinson from East Fife, Lithgow and Cadden came from Airdrie. Not to mention we've been making use of the loan system to pick up players with something to prove.

The rest we picked up on free contracts, re: Alexander, Halkett, De Vita, Gallagher. 

The ones that came from the leagues below were almost always free contracts and I don't remember the last time we paid a fee but we have a manager who looks at opposition players when we play them and identifies who he wants. He said that he's been after Hardie for two years now consistently trying to get him through the door.

The majority of the players who come to us are doing so to use us as a stepping stone and take a lesser wage to do so.

Edited by ATLIS

It's mainly down to Hopkin being smart and knowing the right players to bring in.

We've got a new owner in who's keeping us run tight to a budget, so the guy above is wrong. We had a good run in the cup last year. After all the incomings and outgoings this window we're set to shave 1k off our monthly budget at the end of the window. We have a steady attendance of over 1,000 which isn't much but it's a little bit of stability. We've got players like Mackin on £250 a week with a £5 goal bonus [emoji3] 

Hopkin's mentality seems to be picking up players who are on their way up in their career, guys who will go onto bigger things.

The club is run on a small full time scale with some players being given part time wages, one of the biggest reasons we can do this is that the majority of our squad have came from League1/2. Pittman came from the juniors, Byrne came from Dunfermline's League One winning team, Mullin came from Albion Rovers, Robinson from East Fife, Lithgow and Cadden came from Airdrie. Not to mention we've been making use of the loan system to pick up players with something to prove.

The rest we picked up on free contracts, re: Alexander, Halkett, De Vita, Gallagher. 

The ones that came from the leagues below were almost always free contracts and I don't remember the last time we paid a fee but we have a manager who looks at opposition players when we play them and identifies who he wants. He said that he's been after Hardie for two years now consistently trying to get him through the door.

The majority of the players who come to us are doing so to use us as a stepping stone and take a lesser wage to do so.

Keep believing mate [emoji102]