Sons' sorrow

What would everyone's starting 11 be if we had every signed player fully fit?  I think we could see some interesting combinations here.  I'll go for:

Ewings

Wardrop -- Dowie -- Barr -- McLaughlin

Carswell -- G. Gallagher

Froxylias -- Walsh -- Russell

Stewart

Obviously Ewings won't ever get himself fit again, but there's no doubt he's better than Gallacher in my eyes. For me Grant Gallagher is a better option than Hutton. We could also go 4-4-2 with the above personnel, moving Walsh wide and pushing Russell up top (which would probably suit Beany better).

What would everyone's starting 11 be if we had every signed player fully fit?  I think we could see some interesting combinations here.  I'll go for:

Ewings

Wardrop -- Dowie -- Barr -- McLaughlin

Carswell -- G. Gallagher

Froxylias -- Walsh -- Russell

Stewart

Obviously Ewings won't ever get himself fit again, but there's no doubt he's better than Gallacher in my eyes. For me Grant Gallagher is a better option than Hutton. We could also go 4-4-2 with the above personnel, moving Walsh wide and pushing Russell up top (which would probably suit Beany better).

I'd pretty much go with this.

Grant Gallagher is a weird one, before both injuries he's looked decent but he's never had a proper run of playing well. In his first season he was played wildly out of position so it was hard to judge him. Hutton has had more stinkers than good performances but if he could recreate the form of St Mirren away, Brechin away and Dunfermline away I'd be more than happy with him in there ahead of Gallgher.

Froxy needs to get back to the form of his first month or two, although there's no denying that even when he's off his game he's more effective than Gallagher. I also don't buy this notion that Gallagher is great defensively, he chips in but he's by no means provising solid cover, not that it should matter when you have two holding midfielders in there. We're at a stage now where we need to gamble and start trying to become more handy going forward IMO, I'd rather a forward thinking winger than one who chips in defensively but offers nothing in the final 3rd.

23 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Seeing as things are so boring i wanted to ask Sons fans what signing was your most disappointing in that it promised a lot and delivered very little?

For the money spent ,32k, Calum Campbell for me.Scored a brace vs St Johnstone in the mickey mouse cup and that was it.

Once upon a time a player called Gary Dickie was signed by us and was described as the best defender in junior football. He then partnered Pat Cairney as central defenders in a team which plummeted to the very bottom of Scottish senior football. Think of James Allan  Craig Lynes or Steven Craig only ten times worse and you realise how bad Gary was.

I'd pretty much go with this.

Grant Gallagher is a weird one, before both injuries he's looked decent but he's never had a proper run of playing well. In his first season he was played wildly out of position so it was hard to judge him. Hutton has had more stinkers than good performances but if he could recreate the form of St Mirren away, Brechin away and Dunfermline away I'd be more than happy with him in there ahead of Gallgher.

Froxy needs to get back to the form of his first month or two, although there's no denying that even when he's off his game he's more effective than Gallagher. I also don't buy this notion that Gallagher is great defensively, he chips in but he's by no means provising solid cover, not that it should matter when you have two holding midfielders in there. We're at a stage now where we need to gamble and start trying to become more handy going forward IMO, I'd rather a forward thinking winger than one who chips in defensively but offers nothing in the final 3rd.
I think when we compile these teams it's often a triumph of hope over experience and we forget how grim watching some of these guys actually is.

The club is skint and I'll be surprised if there is anyone likely to help turn things around arriving any time soon. Our best hope is to get the wounded fit but even that is anyone's guess.

Happy to be proved utterly wrong.

36 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Once upon a time a player called Gary Dickie was signed by us and was described as the best defender in junior football. He then partnered Pat Cairney as central defenders in a team which plummeted to the very bottom of Scottish senior football. Think of James Allan  Craig Lynes or Steven Craig only ten times worse and you realise how bad Gary was.

Remember him well....was dire.Think Jim George signed him.Pat Cairney was class though.Could really mix it.Ex Shire winger Peter Feeney told me he used to dread playing against him as you were likely to get banjoed waiting at a corner kick!!

8 hours ago, renton said:

How's your contingent from last year's Rovers team getting on? I'm guessing C.Barr is the pick of the bunch? Chris Johnston doing literally f**k all and getting subbed off at the hour mark?

Halfway there. Johnston has been worse than you have said. Barr has been very meh and as already mentioned Mark Stewart was easily the pick of the bunch before he got injured.

On 17/01/2018 at 14:53, lorenzo71 said:

Seeing as things are so boring i wanted to ask Sons fans what signing was your most disappointing in that it promised a lot and delivered very little?

For the money spent ,32k, Calum Campbell for me.Scored a brace vs St Johnstone in the mickey mouse cup and that was it.

Paul Heffernan. Closed case

That's a relief. I thought it was me viewing things through Mango tinted specs again. He's been one of the few players who has been consistently good, starting from the Betfred Cup campaign. Sure he has off games, but he's a Championship centre-half.

Anyway here's something totally out there. How about playing Walsh in the Stanton role from last season (deep alongside Carsy) with Froxy at #10?

Stanton made the 4-2-3-1 work last year imo. He was decent defensively, but could drive forward and ping a pass - just like Walsh. It's evident we need more going forward, and playing with two deep centre-mids who have 3 goals in about 500 games between them might be part of the problem.

It could be a total disaster where Walsh is crowded out, and we're left short defensively. But we're so lightweight going forward at the minute, and looked so lost for ideas on Saturday, that it might be worth a shot. I'd rather lose 3-2 than 1-0 too!

I'm not saying Barr is a bad player. But I would say he is the defender we would miss the least if any of the first choice defence had to be absent. Wardrobe, Dowie and Boomer have been better for us and are more important than Barr.

If you swap Dowie and Barr around I think that statement would be true. Dowie has improved and been solid recently but for me I would rather Barr was captain and he played alongside Hill.

26 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

If you swap Dowie and Barr around I think that statement would be true. Dowie has improved and been solid recently but for me I would rather Barr was captain and he played alongside Hill.

Since we got through the first 4/5 games of the season Dowie has been brilliant for us. In the last few weeks he has been head and shoulders above everyone else in our team, with the possible exception of Walsh. In my opinion Barr wasn't making the mistakes Dowie was in that initial period, but he was playing in midfield which is somewhere he just shouldn't be playing.

Difference of opinion though.

No match preview up on the OS.Poor stuff...wanted to know how the injury situation is even if the game doesnt go ahead.We are positively in the doldrums in terms of info and even rumours.

Was in the Helensburgh Advertiser yesterday that Froxy and Stewart could be back for tomorrow and that Derek Lyle is definitely a target.