Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That was codeword for I'm actually going to Montrose for more money but i'll tell the press it's lack of ambition so I look good. Not that anyone would have had any issues with him moving somewhere for more cash.

Having swatched his Twitter recently it would appear he is still an absolute fanny.

Having watched him playing for the Shire this season I can confirm that he is. Really good player at that level mind you.

5 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Surely Mark Brown is the correct answer here? He came having been a Premier League regular for quite a few years, yet looked new to goalkeeping for most of his time at the Rock.

Looking back a wee bit, Steven McDougall wasn't a bad player for us, but I just felt he failed to ever really reach the levels he was capable of (a few moments of brilliance aside). A season or two later Kevin Smith was a massive disappointment as well, especially after we seemingly battled pretty hard to sign him. Not as disappointing as Steven Craig mind you...

Mark Brown is a fair shout, aye, as is Craig. Shagger MacDougall said on twitter that Dumbarton fans were the worst in the Scottish leagues for dishing out abuse not too long ago, which is strange considering we all quite liked him and he rarely seemed to get stick. He was at his best in our 3-0 win at Cappielow.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Mark Brown is a fair shout, aye, as is Craig. Shagger MacDougall said on twitter that Dumbarton fans were the worst in the Scottish leagues for dishing out abuse not too long ago, which is strange considering we all quite liked him and he rarely seemed to get stick. He was at his best in our 3-0 win at Cappielow.

Yeah, until our Ultras are caught lobbing fake eyeballs and racist muck about then I think we'll file MacDougall's allegations in the sea.  

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Seeing as things are so boring i wanted to ask Sons fans what signing was your most disappointing in that it promised a lot and delivered very little?

For the money spent ,32k, Calum Campbell for me.Scored a brace vs St Johnstone in the mickey mouse cup and that was it.

That apparently converts to £62000 or so, in the present day.  As he scored 3 goals in his career with us, that's just over £20k a goal in today's money.  I think we have a winner.

Seeing as things are so boring i wanted to ask Sons fans what signing was your most disappointing in that it promised a lot and delivered very little?

For the money spent ,32k, Calum Campbell for me.Scored a brace vs St Johnstone in the mickey mouse cup and that was it.

5 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

That apparently converts to £62000 or so, in the present day.  As he scored 3 goals in his career with us, that's just over £20k a goal in today's money.  I think we have a winner.

In my memory Campbell cost us £50k, the same as we paid for Charlie 'god' Gibson.

17 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

In my memory Campbell cost us £50k, the same as we paid for Charlie 'god' Gibson.

Quite sure it was 32 grand.We did get 50k for John Boyd when we off loaded him to St Murn.70 k we got for John Mcquade.I would just like to say in my experience of watching Sons John Mcquade was one of the most talented we ever had.Was really surprised he didnt go all the way in the game.I remember he tirned down Tommy Burns Killie to sign for Iain Munro at Accies...a move that never worked out as Iain got the punt shortly after.Had he gone to the Premier league with Killie maybe it would've turned out better for him.Simply great to watch IMHO.Him and Mooney and Charlie Gibson ...oooft...kleenex time.

30 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Actually the deal for CG was 50k...40k plus Robert Docherty.

It sounds funny now as though players were slaves traded between clubs for a fee.Oh the days before Monsieur Bosman. Players had a value and could be sold even when their contract was up.

7 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Actually the deal for CG was 50k...40k plus Robert Docherty.

It sounds funny now as though players were slaves traded between clubs for a fee.Oh the days before Monsieur Bosman. Players had a value and could be sold even when their contract was up.

I liked Docherty as a player, though I remember him as being unpopular with the enclosure boo-boys.  I think it was his tendency to play sideways to retain possession that people didn't like.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Came with a fabulous record? He'd scored 2 goals in 33 games (played over 4 years) for Falkirk before joining us. He was basically unknown. Rodgers and Russell were an excellent partnership for us, I liked Andy even if he didn't score enough. It was clear when he left that he was a bit of a fanny though, citing a lack of ambition at the club whilst he fucked off to Montrose and spent the rest of his career in the lower half of Scottish football.

Paul McQuilken just wasn't very good.

Ah yes Moonster Andy boy didn’t like being the subject of a wind up:lol:

Paul McQuilkin is playing for Irvine Meadow

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Hence my nicknaming him 'The Crab'.

My memory of the crab is grabbing a last minute penalty equalizer at Gayfield in the late 80s while we heaped SCORN AND MOCKERY on the locals.Really sad behaviour.

No much o a town Arbroath but the best fish n chips in Schottland

My memory of the crab is grabbing a last minute penalty equalizer at Gayfield in the late 80s while we heaped SCORN AND MOCKERY on the locals.Really sad behaviour.

No much o a town Arbroath but the best fish n chips in Schottland

And one of the finest pre-match pubs in Scotland, in Tutties Neuk.

How's your contingent from last year's Rovers team getting on? I'm guessing C.Barr is the pick of the bunch? Chris Johnston doing literally f**k all and getting subbed off at the hour mark?

For him to be subbed off at the hour mark he’d have to be on by then, which is near enough unheard of.

1 minute ago, renton said:

How's your contingent from last year's Rovers team getting on? I'm guessing C.Barr is the pick of the bunch? Chris Johnston doing literally f**k all and getting subbed off at the hour mark?

Craig Barr's been good, aye, no major injuries for him either. Chris Johnston useless and barely ever been given a game, expect him to be moved on at some point this month. Mark Stewart was really coming onto a game in his lone striker role and got injured, should be back soon (please fucking tell me he'll be back soon).

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Craig Barr's been good, aye, no major injuries for him either. Chris Johnston useless and barely ever been given a game, expect him to be moved on at some point this month. Mark Stewart was really coming onto a game in his lone striker role and got injured, should be back soon (please fucking tell me he'll be back soon).

His injury spells seem to be getting longer every year tbh. I always liked Stewart though he was the kind of striker who needed good service, something he only ever got intermittently during his spell with us, glad he (was) doing well to be fair. 

Aye, even with us Johnston looks like one of those guys completely ruined by his injury. Surprised he got another shot at 2nd tier level but at least you guys never picked up Scott Roberts to  complete the utterly diddy, Raith winger set.

Just now, renton said:

His injury spells seem to be getting longer every year tbh. I always liked Stewart though he was the kind of striker who needed good service, something he only ever got intermittently during his spell with us, glad he (was) doing well to be fair. 

Aye, even with us Johnston looks like one of those guys completely ruined by his injury. Surprised he got another shot at 2nd tier level but at least you guys never picked up Scott Roberts to  complete the utterly diddy, Raith winger set.

Stewart had avoided long injuries all season until we played St Mirren 6 weeks ago, he just pulled up and held his hamstring early in the game and you could tell he knew it how bad it was immediately. If we can get Walsh, Stewart, Froxylias and Handling all fully fit and firing I'll be fairly confident in us staying up one way or another. If Russell starts chipping in too then we're laughing IMO.