Sons' sorrow

15 minutes ago, Rangeman said:

I now fear for our team lost roy, Walsh next two of our most creative  players think wee will get turnedover big time at Peterhead  ninth is looming and I fear the worst for wales as they are a good outfit 

TNS is a month away and a lot can happen between now and then.

yesterdays result wasn’t great but nothing to panic about right now. We have a week until the Peterhead game and a lot can happen.  If by Friday Roy and Wash are gone and we have nobody in coupled with our injury list then yes panic.

But it’s sunday night. Pour a drink and relax 

I now fear for our team lost roy, Walsh next two of our most creative  players think wee will get turnedover big time at Peterhead  ninth is looming and I fear the worst for wales as they are a good outfit 

Roy may have left, but Stevie will bring players in, watch this space, plus injured players coming back, and others getting up to speed, I.e. Stewart and handling. No doubt Peterhead will be tough, but our away form is slightly better just now

Re Scotsport I remember a rangers/sevco/whatever game in the seventies when the commentary was just ahead of the play. Arthur  Montford shouts penalty as the ball was crossing the half way line and roars goal before Derek Parlane even strikes the ball. Anyway I see you have re-signed Beany, entertainment coming your way plus I suspect numerous free kicks.

Andy Stirling, where do i start?  Was easily the best player against us in two games last season. Naysmith signs him to  "provide width" then proceeds to play route one football launching the ball down the middle. Dobbie arguably the most gifted player in our league spends a serious amount of time looking skywards. Meanwhile a guy called Dykes who has loads of energy but no guile and his second touch is a tackle is selected ahead of Stirling. Beyond me.

On 12/01/2018 at 11:07, The Moonster said:

The only surprise there is Fraser Aird. Is he really much cheaper than the likes of Andy Stirling (he's certainly not any better than him)? 

Very debatable, Aird gets a very hard time from Falkirk fans but I like what I've seen of him, do wish we'd play him more. 

17 hours ago, Rangeman said:

What did Roy actually do for us?

Scored a couple of goals, one of which won him man of the match.

Beyond that? He didnt really give us anything.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

True, the goal at Falkirk was well taken and procured a useful point but aside from that there was little to shout about.

It's really unfortunate that key players in the team are injured at the moment. Their reintroduction to the team, coupled with hopefully signing a few of the names mentioned on here, would see us back on track and gathering points.

We've remained reasonably solid in defense throughout this sticky patch, we just need some options going forward to help out Walsh - who is carrying everything at the moment.  

He scored 4 goals, including one which earned a point away at Falkirk.

He was by no means the greatest player but he was quick and is currently our joint top scorer. I feel his contribution is being played down by many because his final ball isn't always the best. There's been players starting ahead of him who have contributed far less than he has over a longer period of time.

If we can replace him with someone better then that's great but he was a handy player for us and he offered us plenty. Most notably pace and a goal threat from a wide position, certainly more than a number of current starters in our squad offer us.

He was by no means the greatest player but he was quick and is currently our joint top scorer. I feel his contribution is being played down by many because his final ball isn't always the best. There's been players starting ahead of him who have contributed far less than he has over a longer period of time.

If we can replace him with someone better then that's great but he was a handy player for us and he offered us plenty. Most notably pace and a goal threat from a wide position, certainly more than a number of current starters in our squad offer us.
Comparisons are generally odious but we'll miss Sam Wardrop much more than Ally Roy.

18 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

*3 ;)

Roy was quick, direct and a good finisher. That aside I pretty much agree with BSF. His overall contribution in games was patchy and, unlike Tom Walsh, I didn't get the feeling he could create a moment of magic out of nowehere. I wouldn't have been averse keeping him ahead of guys like Johnston as an option from the bench, but I trust that Stevie will be able to find a more than able replacement.

If, and it's obviously a huge IF, we can replace him with Andy Stirling then it will be a tremendous bit of business. If we end up the winger equivalent of Greg Morrison then Stevie (and by consequence myself and BSF) will be left looking a bit silly.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

23 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He's given us more in 4 months than Calum Gallagher has in over a year. 

Aitken clearly doesn't think he was giving us enough though, so he's moving him on to try and bring in another target. If those targets include (but are not restricted to) the likes of Andy Stirling and Fraser Aird then fair enough - I understand the logic. Where I will worry is if he brings in another untried youngster from a Prem team, if we're looking down that route then sending Roy back doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Comparisons are generally odious but we'll miss Sam Wardrop much more than Ally Roy.

I fully agree but Sam's here for the season and due to return shortly.

Like I said, if Stevie can replace Roy with someone better then great but I still feel Roy offered us something. If Stevie doesn't replace him with someone better I'll be disappointed he's been let go.

I liked Ally Roy. He wasn't amazing but he took a man on and scored a couple of important goals.

He maybe lacks consistency but he's a winger, the vast majority in this country are guilty of that. I'm content enough with him leaving, and I trust that Stevie will find an able replacement.

And has been said already, and it shouldn't be lost, but he's given us more in the few short months he's been with us than Calum Gallagher has in what seems like an eternity.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Here 'til May...unless you know something I don't :unsure:

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3168

I worded it poorly....my point was that Wardrop is simply a much better player in his position than Ally Roy demonstrated in his time here.  And as I'm here, whilst I am no more a fan of Callum Gallager than many others, he at least understands the defensive side of the game, something Roy appeared to have nada appreciation of, and something which is a prequisite for anyone currently playing for DFC.

But let's all move on before Strangeman blows a fuse.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

I liked Ally Roy. He wasn't amazing but he took a man on and scored a couple of important goals.

He maybe lacks consistency but he's a winger, the vast majority in this country are guilty of that. I'm content enough with him leaving, and I trust that Stevie will find an able replacement.

And has been said already, and it shouldn't be lost, but he's given us more in the few short months he's been with us than Calum Gallagher has in what seems like an eternity.

I'm not convinced that he's a winger.

His first touch is poor. His final ball isn't good. He isn't a winger for me.

He'd be better up front as a striker . He needs a run of games in that position. Out wide he runs about without much end product. I'd see him more in the Mark Stewart style of forward who uses pace to drag defenders out of position or plays on the shoulder of the last defender.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'm not convinced that he's a winger.

His first touch is poor. His final ball isn't good. He isn't a winger for me.

He'd be better up front as a striker . He needs a run of games in that position. Out wide he runs about without much end product. I'd see him more in the Mark Stewart style of forward who uses pace to drag defenders out of position or plays on the shoulder of the last defender.

I have said this all season, as much as he looks fairly dangerous (about 50% of the time) on the wing, he just doesn't look like a winger and thus doesn't do the defensive side of the game very well.

So I finally got an 'answer' from my club when I asked about why they were supporting the stadium move.
It was very vague, however I was told that they had made the decision as the £14m investment in community football facilities in the local area was too good, as a community club, to not support. It is my understanding that there is a planning meeting with the council at the end of the month and there is going to be a petition presented.

Ally Roy never played on the wing til he came to us on loan (a Durrant recommendation)

Stevie Aitken decided the lad would play as a winger under his watch.

He pinged 3 or 4 of our best goals scored this season imo (when he drifted into the middle & ran at defences)

Good luck to him, I think we've let a fairly decent prospect go though.