Sons' sorrow

As a friend said to me, "stay and fight for my place" begins to sound like code for "f**k that, I'm not going there" when you know the guy's been told he's not in the plans. I reckon it's best we move on (as much as I think an interested Sutton would be ideal) but football is a strange game.

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As a friend said to me, "stay and fight for my place" begins to sound like code for "f**k that, I'm not going there" when you know the guy's been told he's not in the plans. I reckon it's best we move on (as much as I think an interested Sutton would be ideal) but football is a strange game.

Fair comment Moonster, and I'd rather we avoided another Eddie Annand/Isaac English type signing.  The fact remains though that we badly need to bring in a striker and preferably ahead of Saturday.  Patience is a luxury we can ill-afford right now with the fixtures we have coming up.

21 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Fair comment Moonster, and I'd rather we avoided another Eddie Annand/Isaac English type signing.  The fact remains though that we badly need to bring in a striker and preferably ahead of Saturday.  Patience is a luxury we can ill-afford right now with the fixtures we have coming up.

What we need is someone who has scored 30 goals for the club has been player of the year and was the seasons top scorer. Wait a minute there is someone . I remember his first name was Gary but his surname eludes me.

26 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We need someone yes, but i would rather wait a bit to make sure we get the right one in.As you say not another Isaac English more of a jon mcshane/stephen dobbie.

34 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No thanks to McFadden. We already have about 4 players who can play CAM (if that's where he even plays these days?)

Out and out striker required.

That was the attitude of a lot of our fans when he signed but on balance most are slightly disappointed he has moved on. He  has no pace but could certainly contribute if played regularly.

That was the attitude of a lot of our fans when he signed but on balance most are slightly disappointed he has moved on. He  has no pace but could certainly contribute if played regularly.

We have Handling, Walsh and Froxy who are at their best in his position. You also have Mark Stewart who can be deployed there. If there is one position we absolutely don't need strengthening in its there.

No doubt he done well at Queens but with our budget probably stretching to 1, maybe 2 more signings he would be a complete waste.

We desperately need a striker, preferably a bigger guy who can play up top himself and hold the ball up. If Roy returns to Hearts then a winger is also a priority.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We have Handling, Walsh and Froxy who are at their best in his position. You also have Mark Stewart who can be deployed there. If there is one position we absolutely don't need strengthening in its there.

No doubt he done well at Queens but with our budget probably stretching to 1, maybe 2 more signings he would be a complete waste.

We desperately need a striker, preferably a bigger guy who can play up top himself and hold the ball up. If Roy returns to Hearts then a winger is also a priority.

He played all his games for us as a winger or wide attacking player in a 4-2-3-1, other than the one at TNS where his lack of pace to cover their overlapping full back was very obviously a problem from an early point and he shifted to central playmaker in that one with Dobbie going to striker and Dykes using his pace wide instead. He certainly looked as if he could do the playmaker role but it's not a role we really needed with Dobbie already here. As a winger he's not going to burst past people and go round the outside but he's physically fit and his delivery was decent. I don't doubt if we didn't have Dobbie McFadden would have been very good for us and could be for someone else who needs a player like that. Granted it's maybe not a priority for Dumbarton.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

34 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Just a bit of extra knowledge of the English ground we will be playing TNS at, the away support are located in a flat standing area behind the goal might be a probably for the slightly older generation 

There was no segregation at all when we were there in the last round and most of our fans chose to sit in the stand immediately behind the goal. There were probably more of us than them. Can't imagine Dumbarton will take as many down, semi final or not, so I don't see them operating any segregation.

The whole ground is just "odd" though. It's a sports centre with a pitch outside. You can walk out of the pub onto a concrete balcony and stand and watch the game there from well above pitch level or go down to one of two stands which are located around one corner flag. Otherwise, as said, it's flat standing. It's really not much like a professional football ground at all.

37 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There was no segregation at all when we were there in the last round and most of our fans chose to sit in the stand immediately behind the goal. There were probably more of us than them. Can't imagine Dumbarton will take as many down, semi final or not, so I don't see them operating any segregation.

The whole ground is just "odd" though. It's a sports centre with a pitch outside. You can walk out of the pub onto a concrete balcony and stand and watch the game there from well above pitch level or go down to one of two stands which are located around one corner flag. Otherwise, as said, it's flat standing. It's really not much like a professional football ground at all.

Sounds wonderful hahaha