Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:
8 minutes ago, microdave said:
Anyone seen that we're hosting a retro music festival at the Rock in May. Clicky 
Not a bad idea imo. 

Not that I'm a pessimist or anything...but when are the playoffs?

The relegation ones, the second leg of the final is the weekend of 12/13th May so weekend before that event.

If you have any potential to be in the promotion ones though 1st leg of the Final is on Thursday 17th May so day before this which may cause a problem. 2nd leg of the Final is Sunday 20th but Championship side would be away from home in that anyway.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The relegation ones, the second leg of the final is the weekend of 12/13th May so weekend before that event.
If you have any potential to be in the promotion ones though 1st leg of the Final is on Thursday 17th May so day before this which may cause a problem. 2nd leg of the Final is Sunday 20th but Championship side would be away from home in that anyway.
Ah that's alright then. I can't see the promotion playoffs being an issue!

Although this will have been in planning for a while, part of me is thinking that the club are doing it because they know planning permission isn't going to happen for the new stadium. The two planning comittee meetings that they'd hoped to put it forward to have come and gone. It's a good way to get some extra income to pay for the repairs needed at the Rock.

Or maybe I'm overthinking things.

Is it an outdoors event or is it being held in the 2 function suites? Given that there are houses so close by I can't see an outdoors event going down too well.

I can't see us making a huge deal of money from it other than the hire cash we receive. It looks like Your Radio are the organisers.

30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is it an outdoors event or is it being held in the 2 function suites? Given that there are houses so close by I can't see an outdoors event going down too well.

I can't see us making a huge deal of money from it other than the hire cash we receive. It looks like Your Radio are the organisers.

I wondered that too but there are hospitality tickets that include a seat in the stand, so it's outdoors. But it's no different to any other clubs that host this type of event. Palmerston is in a residential area but they get the go ahead for gigs. I suppose the licence will have conditions on things like noise and a curfew.

Eta The stage is likely to be where the dugouts are so that will dilute the sound slightly by having the speakers pointing away from the houses.

Edited by microdave

Although this will have been in planning for a while, part of me is thinking that the club are doing it because they know planning permission isn't going to happen for the new stadium. The two planning comittee meetings that they'd hoped to put it forward to have come and gone. It's a good way to get some extra income to pay for the repairs needed at the Rock.

Or maybe I'm overthinking things.

Maybe it’s that they don’t think planning permission will be granted so we’re trying to be annoying neighbours so when the council come calling we can say “hey we wanted to move but you wouldn’t let us” which could then help push through the move.

On 18/12/2017 at 20:21, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The defender was Iain Munro, and it's hard to imagine such sportsmanship today.

Big Puma broke his leg in a 3-0 home win over Motherwell in (I think) late 1973, a very sad footnote to what was a wonderful display by Sons.

Right team, but wrong season. It was actually the 0-1 defeat at home to Motherwell 43 years ago today that Roy broke his leg.  If I remember rightly, he also picked up a bad injury in early 1974 (can't remember the exact nature of it) and didn't play again that season. I think he then had a setback in pre-season and made his comeback at Boghead in the 1-3 defeat to Celtic. I remember being at that game and it sticks out in my mind, as I never got to see Roy play for us again.

Right team, but wrong season. It was actually the 0-1 defeat at home to Motherwell 43 years ago today that Roy broke his leg.  If I remember rightly, he also picked up a bad injury in early 1974 (can't remember the exact nature of it) and didn't play again that season. I think he then had a setback in pre-season and made his comeback at Boghead in the 1-3 defeat to Celtic. I remember being at that game and it sticks out in my mind, as I never got to see Roy play for us again.

I salute your powers of recall Sir, the consumption of ale has obviously diluted mine [emoji481]

On December 22nd 2012 it was predicted the world would end. It was the end of the Mayan calendar and the conspiracy theorists were going into overdrive.

Elsewhere bigmacDFC was ignoring the warnings and working on a new beginning - Sons' sorrow, which led to change in fortunes for Dumbarton Football Club.

Happy 5 year anniversary one and all. Half a decade of sorrow and we're still here.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

On December 22nd 2012 it was predicted the world would end. It was the end of the Mayan calendar and the conspiracy theorists were going into overdrive.

Elsewhere bigmacDFC was ignoring the warnings and working on a new beginning - Son's sorrow, which led to change in fortunes for Dumbarton Football Club.

Happy 5 year anniversary one and all. Half a decade of sorrow and we're still here.

Mods plz

19 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Half black half yellow white writing “dumbarton football club” but something about the tambourine would be good aswell 

Love it.

Fairly long scarves, wi all that writing on them, a bit Doctor Who (Tom Baker) style. :P

Get some big flags made, we used to have some good ones, home & away.

Like this..

58683cedaeb96_sonsflag.jpg.f17a3419d79731ca8a6a4d4a5bc30158.jpg