Sons' sorrow

On 10/12/2017 at 09:01, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'd keep the heid meantime; the objective remains to stay in The Championship and that remains a very tall order. We are currently performing well but let's take it one game at a time.

I know we coped okay with three games in a week recently but history suggests that if we have more postponements  we could find things get a bit sticky when the games finally come round.

Was there ever any possibility of us re-arranging the Livingston game for Wednesday night, based on the forecast looking favourable? Saturday at Inverness looks like it might be touch and go. If that goes off, we're looking at three games (Livingston (H), ICT (A) and Dundee United (A)) being re-scheduled and we're only at the start of winter.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Do we think this will be one of those things that if we say it enough it will become true?  I hope so.

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF

Tambourine Club GTF...

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Do we think this will be one of those things that if we say it enough it will become true?  I hope so.

With Shaw getting a wee bit of first-team action I really can't see him coming to the Rock.

Ryan Hardie is kicking his heels most of the time though, and seems to only get the odd sub appearance for Rangers...Hopefully Durrant can use some magic handshakes and the promise of turning him into the attacking version of Ross McCrorie to get him along. If nothing else it'd stop him scoring against us.

Rangers youth graduate, spent time with Raith and a flop at St Mirren. Ticking every single box for us.

With Shaw getting a wee bit of first-team action I really can't see him coming to the Rock.
Ryan Hardie is kicking his heels most of the time though, and seems to only get the odd sub appearance for Rangers...Hopefully Durrant can use some magic handshakes and the promise of turning him into the attacking version of Ross McCrorie to get him along. If nothing else it'd stop him scoring against us.
Rangers youth graduate, spent time with Raith and a flop at St Mirren. Ticking every single box for us.
On Ross mccrorie. He was good for us I thought but didn't exactly set the world alight. Granted iv not seen much of rangers but seems to me that rangers fans seem to think the world of him. It's strange to me that he seems to be all rangers fans answer to all their problems. Did we develop him that well and he went back a superstar?

On Ross mccrorie. He was good for us I thought but didn't exactly set the world alight. Granted iv not seen much of rangers but seems to me that rangers fans seem to think the world of him. It's strange to me that he seems to be all rangers fans answer to all their problems. Did we develop him that well and he went back a superstar?
Funnily enough I said just that a few months back in the Scotsman. McCrorie was a tremendous athlete, but seemed to panic when he got the ball.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/ross-mccrorie-great-expectations-for-club-and-country-1-4565764

Fair play to him though. All the Rangers fans I know absolutely love him, and if his performances have been as good as they were for us at Easter Road (the one game where I thought 'this guy could be a serious star') then I totally get that. How much we helped his progress only he'll know, but hopefully we did enough to convince Rangers to punt more young talent our way.

With January fast approaching it will be very interesting to see how we go about our business. It's probably the first time an Aitken squad hasn't required some major surgery in the January window.

I'd like to see us strengthen up front. I'm still not convinced Morrison is the answer and it doesn't look like Aitken fancies starting Nade these days. I'd like to see us make a move for John Sutton if St Mirren punt him, he'd be ideal IMO and I can't think of many clubs in this league who would be looking to sign him.

Midfield and defence are pretty much sorted although I wouldn't be against us getting shot of Seagal, a guy I don't particularly rate, and replacing him with someone more effective. Handling could be like a new signing when he gets fit so fingers crossed that's sooner rather than later. Chris Johnston is another I'd punt, if we could use his wage to sign someone decent I'm not against Seagal staying. Prior should be sent on loan somewhere for games.

Defensively we are fine, perhaps lacking some left back cover but Dougie Hill done fine there when called upon and I'm not sure I'd be wasting wage on left back cover.

To be fair to Scott Gallacher he has improved during our recent run of good form but he still gives me the absolute fear (the last minute against St Mirren being a prime example). With Jazza looking increasingly unfit I'd be looking to bring in another keeper to challenge for the no1 shirt.

So in summary...

Oot:
Johnston
Seagal
Morrison (if someone like Sutton can be signed)
Prior (Loan)

In:
Striker (preferably Sutton)
Winger
Goalkeeper

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

With January fast approaching it will be very interesting to see how we go about our business. It's probably the first time an Aitken squad hasn't required some major surgery in the January window.

I'd like to see us strengthen up front. I'm still not convinced Morrison is the answer and it doesn't look like Aitken fancies starting Nade these days. I'd like to see us make a move for John Sutton if St Mirren punt him, he'd be ideal IMO and I can't think of many clubs in this league who would be looking to sign him.

Midfield and defence are pretty much sorted although I wouldn't be against us getting shot of Seagal, a guy I don't particularly rate, and replacing him with someone more effective. Handling could be like a new signing when he gets fit so fingers crossed that's sooner rather than later. Chris Johnston is another I'd punt, if we could use his wage to sign someone decent I'm not against Seagal staying. Prior should be sent on loan somewhere for games.

Defensively we are fine, perhaps lacking some left back cover but Dougie Hill done fine there when called upon and I'm not sure I'd be wasting wage on left back cover.

To be fair to Scott Gallacher he has improved during our recent run of good form but he still gives me the absolute fear (the last minute against St Mirren being a prime example). With Jazza looking increasingly unfit I'd be looking to bring in another keeper to challenge for the no1 shirt.

So in summary...

Oot:
Johnston
Seagal
Morrison (if someone like Sutton can be signed)
Prior (Loan)

In:
Striker (preferably Sutton)
Winger
Goalkeeper

I see why some may want rid of Seagal but the reality is that our best run of form has coincided with him in the team - when there is a gap to be filled he has generally filled in without being brilliant or awful and does the defensive side pretty well - I'm not against keeping him as a squad player. Agree with getting rid of Johnston, waste of a jersey. I would also let Morrison return to County and see what else we can get, John Sutton appears to be the standout candidate of players we know will be available, but I've no doubt Aitken will have his eye on one or two others. For me we only really need a striker and a keeper to challenge Gallacher. Prior should've been out on loan from the start of the season. Is Ally Roy here for the season or is he up in January?

I see why some may want rid of Seagal but the reality is that our best run of form has coincided with him in the team - when there is a gap to be filled he has generally filled in without being brilliant or awful and does the defensive side pretty well - I'm not against keeping him as a squad player. Agree with getting rid of Johnston, waste of a jersey. I would also let Morrison return to County and see what else we can get, John Sutton appears to be the standout candidate of players we know will be available, but I've no doubt Aitken will have his eye on one or two others. For me we only really need a striker and a keeper to challenge Gallacher. Prior should've been out on loan from the start of the season. Is Ally Roy here for the season or is he up in January?

Roy is here until January. I'd like to see that extended but whether Stevie feels the same is a different story. I don't imagine we're paying a huge amount for him.

I'm not against Segal staying but if there's someone better out there I'd happily see him replaced. I do think he will stay however.

I pretty much agree with what's already been said - though I wouldn't be stretching our budget for another goalkeeper unless a Danny Rogers type was available. E.g. somebody who we know would be good for winning us a few games on his own.

The main priority has to be a striker, ideally one who is capable of leading the line alone. Sutton would be the absolute dream, but I'd imagine pretty much every other team around us would think the same. Morrison works hard but ultimately playing for us in this division is just too big an ask for him - especially this early in his career.

On Roy's loan there's two ways of thinking. If I was Stevie I'd extend it, but then again he'd have played a lot more football this season if I was the manager. If Stevie doesn't fancy him, then the wages would probably be better spent elsewhere.

I like the SeaGal too. He's not a stylish winger, but he does a job. Almost a bit like a present day Mark Gilhaney - a guy who maybe only got a couple of goals and assists at this level each season, but who made us a more solid team. I also thought he looked pretty good through the middle in his short stints there at East End Park and the Paisley 2021.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Sutton would be the absolute dream, but I'd imagine pretty much every other team around us would think the same.

Would they? Inverness maybe, but I don't see the likes of Falkirk, Queens or Morton looking to take him.  Looking at the division below you'd think only Raith and Ayr would be ones able to afford him and I'm not sure either of them are in need of a striker. If he's available I'd be disappointed if we weren't trying to get him.

Would they? Inverness maybe, but I don't see the likes of Falkirk, Queens or Morton looking to take him.  Looking at the division below you'd think only Raith and Ayr would be ones able to afford him and I'm not sure either of them are in need of a striker. If he's available I'd be disappointed if we weren't trying to get him.
Queens are pretty much sorted striker wise, but aside from them I could see any of the clubs you mentioned going for him. He'd be a good short term fix for Falkirk given their state at the moment for example, he's proven at this level, experienced and should be good for 5/6 goals between now and May. At the moment they've got Nathan Austin (who seems to be toiling a bit), 'BSLM' (who seems to only be a sub) and Loy (who doesn't get on with Hartley and who has been a flop thus far anyway).

It might depend on how far their budget will stretch (in the opposite sense to us, if they can afford to buy in someone better), but they are the club that I could see nicking him.

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Queens are pretty much sorted striker wise, but aside from them I could see any of the clubs you mentioned going for him. He'd be a good short term fix for Falkirk given their state at the moment for example, he's proven at this level, experienced and should be good for 5/6 goals between now and May. At the moment they've got Nathan Austin (who seems to be toiling a bit), 'BSLM' (who seems to only be a sub) and Loy (who doesn't get on with Hartley and who has been a flop thus far anyway).

It might depend on how far their budget will stretch (in the opposite sense to us, if they can afford to buy in someone better), but they are the club that I could see nicking him.

Fair points, I'm just not convinced that he's the type of player Hartley will be after.

13 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Does anyone have a link to the development league top scorers? It might be worth trying celtic or Aberdeen for loans. We've seem to have a decent record with their youngsters 

Can't seem to find this year but last season was as follows:

Rank Player Club Goals
1 Scotland Oli Shaw Hibernian 26
2 Scotland Ryan Tierney Hamilton Academical 19
3 Scotland Neil McLaughlin Partick Thistle 17
4 Scotland Scott Shepherd Falkirk 15
5 Scotland Greg Morrison Ross County

Doubt Shaw will be available, Tierney is on loan at Airdrie (until January - not sure how he's got on there), No idea about McLaughlin, Scott Shepherd is shite and we already have Greg Morrison on loan. Shaw is clearly the standout loan for a young striker but it's doubtful Hibs will be sending him out such are the options they have up front.