Sons' sorrow

Your biggest worry about Aitken should be us. We love a young manager who gets the most from a limited budget.

Would be a huge jump, but our last four managers haven't managed to full time clubs before us.

Just now, Silverton End said:

I'll go against type here & say that Stevie & Durrant are fairly happy where they are.

They definitely are happy here but don't kid yourself that Aitken won't be off at the first offer of full-time football. I don't hold that against him though, he's probably more deserving of a shot at full-time than any other manager in Scotland at the moment.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They definitely are happy here but don't kid yourself that Aitken won't be off at the first offer of full-time football. I don't hold that against him though, he's probably more deserving of a shot at full-time than any other manager in Scotland at the moment.

Aye, maybe.

I think he enjoys being the underdog, transforming players & his team being underestimated though.

Sometimes that doesn't always transfer to a 'bigger' Club.

Anyway, if he did leave, he's certainly earned that chance.

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Aye, maybe.

I think he enjoys being the underdog, transforming players & his team being underestimated though.

Sometimes that doesn't always transfer to a 'bigger' Club.

Anyway, if he did leave, he's certainly earned that chance.

Oh aye, I'm not sure Aitken's style will transfer to full-time all that well, he may well flop, but I think he's itching to try it.

I think he would love a crack at FT but the thing is which club?He earns a good salary at RR plus whatever he earns as Sons manager(30/40k p.a i would imagine).Therefore not just any FT club could pick him up.His salary would need to be well in excess of 100k p.a given the instability of a job as a football manager.When your stock is high great, but when its low down the leagues you go.Danny Lennon is a great recent example.

St Mirren would probably be able to tempt him if they get a good few hundred grand for Jack Ross.But other championship clubs may struggle.Premier league teams like St Johnstone may be the most likely but at the same time they may view SA as a big gamble.I think he is in a good place right now and shouldnt look for short term gains.

4 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I think he would love a crack at FT but the thing is which club?He earns a good salary at RR plus whatever he earns as Sons manager(30/40k p.a i would imagine).Therefore not just any FT club could pick him up.His salary would need to be well in excess of 100k p.a given the instability of a job as a football manager.When your stock is high great, but when its low down the leagues you go.Danny Lennon is a great recent example.

St Mirren would probably be able to tempt him if they get a good few hundred grand for Jack Ross.But other championship clubs may struggle.Premier league teams like St Johnstone may be the most likely but at the same time they may view SA as a big gamble.I think he is in a good place right now and shouldnt look for short term gains.

I'm going to hazard a guess that Stevie earns nowhere near £100k a year...

Your point stands that it would need to be a lucrative offer to tempt him, but I'd say your figures are way off.

I might be completely wrong mind! Just my opinion.

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

Your point stands that it would need to be a lucrative offer to tempt him, but I'd say your figures are way off.

Im not suggesting he earns 100k, but if a club were to tempt him they would have to offer him that figure at least because he would be giving up a sure job at RR plus a gfairly safe PT  job at Sons.You see how quickly managers can be sacked when results go wrong.Thats my point.He may not be able to walk back into his regulr job either.So for it to be worth his while i guess that figure is what would need to be offered.IMO.

51 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

It really wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't a kick on the arse away from £100K per year.  You're looking at at least £40-45K a year for his job in Rolls Royce, I don't know what he's on with us but given that we had Ian Murray on a good full-time wage I'd assume Aitken will be on similar. He could easily be taking home £80-90K right now from both his jobs. Having said that...

46 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Im not suggesting he earns 100k, but if a club were to tempt him they would have to offer him that figure at least because he would be giving up a sure job at RR plus a gfairly safe PT  job at Sons.You see how quickly managers can be sacked when results go wrong.Thats my point.He may not be able to walk back into his regulr job either.So for it to be worth his while i guess that figure is what would need to be offered.IMO.

...I'm of the opinion that the money isn't everything to him now. He's been working with Rolls Royce for a good while now, he would've been fairly well paid at Stranraer too IMO, it may well be that he has a nice wee nest set aside and can afford to take the chance at a less secure full-time football club.  He's always said he'd like a shot at it and he's been in the papers many times during his time with us saying similar. Last summer there was a lot of humming and hawing from him, despite his party line being that there was no problems it was clear for fans to see that he was waiting to see what other jobs were out there.  I honestly think he'll bite the hand off the first club that comes in for him and it may well be sooner than we'd all like.

I'm led to believe he holds a decent position with Rolls Royce and noticed recently he also does night shift in there so he'll be on a packet.

I pretty much agree with Moonster, he'd take any full-time offer IMO. Lets not forget he was keen on the Raith job not so long ago so I'm not sure money is an issue.

IIRC Rolls Royce have said that he can effectively take something like a 2 year career break to give full-time management a shot. Could be misremembering that though.

If he gets offered the St Mirren job (which is a major if) he'd be off like a shot, and I can't blame him for that.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

52 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm led to believe he holds a decent position with Rolls Royce and noticed recently he also does night shift in there so he'll be on a packet.

I pretty much agree with Moonster, he'd take any full-time offer IMO. Lets not forget he was keen on the Raith job not so long ago so I'm not sure money is an issue.

He would be silly to accept ANY Full time offer.In the Championship the  clubs i think capable of tempting him are Saints,Pars,ICT , Falkirk and United.And given most of them have settled managers you are looking at any Premier league club.And of those the only one i could see going for SA is Hamilton.

Other factors come into it other than money of course.It might be he is fed up with the day job and his dream is to be a FT manager regardless of salary.Lots of ifs buts and maybes.Only time and the ripples of the Mciness -to-rangers  saga will show us the truth.

He would be silly to accept ANY Full time offer.In the Championship the  clubs i think capable of tempting him are Saints,Pars,ICT , Falkirk and United.And given most of them have settled managers you are looking at any Premier league club.And of those the only one i could see going for SA is Hamilton.
Other factors come into it other than money of course.It might be he is fed up with the day job and his dream is to be a FT manager regardless of salary.Lots of ifs buts and maybes.Only time and the ripples of the Mciness -to-rangers  saga will show us the truth.

I'm not so sure. He was up for taking the Raith job so I don't see why he wouldn't take anything going from the Championship upwards. He attended an interview for the Raith job before they stupidly opted for Locke and by all accounts he was keen on it.

Perhaps Raith and Ayr are the only ones he wouldn't take due to them currently being in League 1. Judging by past interviews he's choking for a full time gig and the only way I could see him turning something down is if the wages and/or playing budget were minimal or the club was in turmoil. The likes of Queens, Dunfermline or Morton could tempt him no bother IMO.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That could mean they go after Tommy Wright though...

They'll be fighting Northern Ireland for him. Either way, we'll likely be looking for a new manager in the next few months..