Sons' sorrow

42 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Just to offer a slightly different perspective on drumgate. After the game, a friend of mine was having a wee celebration for her son’s 18th birthday in the bar. She had arranged for Steve Aitken and a couple of players to present him with a birthday cake and a signed top. That all went very well but Frank Meade also appeared and gave the lad a bottle of champagne from the club. I asked him about the drum and he said he had received “several” complaints about (the drum) last week from season ticket holders and he felt that he should act. If that is the case, then is he not left with the judgement of Solomon?

All about how it was handled. He sent the head steward along with the instruction of "get rid of it" - no compromise, no dialogue with the boys in question, just confiscate that thing and get rid of it - that lead to the young guys being mystified and fans around them resenting (and booing) the stewards for most of the game. When I spoke to the steward she apologised and said she didn't see what the problem was but was told to get rid of it. I asked her how many complaints were made and she said "I don't know". Why not go and speak to the boys and say "guys, we really appreciate that you're trying to create some atmosphere here and we are happy to accommodate, although there have been a couple of complaints from season ticket holders about it. Could you perhaps keep the drum playing to times when the team are in attack or can we discuss sitting you in an area of the stand which will cause the least disruption?" and see what comes of it? Instead we took the hard and fast line over a spurious number of complaints, upset some young guys who don't often attend games and further deepened this resentment which has been building between board and fans for years.

I also think we need to actually quantify "several" here because it sounds like the sort of thing you say when you've not actually had several complaints to cover your position. How many is several? 2 or 3? 10 or 11? Why was the drum not confiscated last week when the complaints were made?  In a crowd of 500 we probably had 1 or 2 complaints IMO, so around 99% of that 500 aren't bothered or are in support of the drum being there. And if those who were in support of the drum being there decided to take drums to the next home game, for talking's sake lets say 20 people who were pissed off about the treatment then bring drums (one fan already saying he bought one after Saturday) is Frank Meade going to confiscate these drums over the previous 1 or 2 complaints that were made?

I'm just pissed off because after months of the club being slated for entry prices and there seemingly being very little goodwill towards them, even from long time supporters, we finally put good offers on for fans and then look to alienate the new ones who come down. Half a step forward to take a giant leap back, again. 

Just to offer a slightly different perspective on drumgate. After the game, a friend of mine was having a wee celebration for her son’s 18th birthday in the bar. She had arranged for Steve Aitken and a couple of players to present him with a birthday cake and a signed top. That all went very well but Frank Meade also appeared and gave the lad a bottle of champagne from the club. I asked him about the drum and he said he had received “several” complaints about (the drum) last week from season ticket holders and he felt that he should act. If that is the case, then is he not left with the judgement of Solomon?

There's always a comprimise. Simply sending a steward up half way through the match to confiscate the drum is not really a suitable way to deal with the situation, especially considering it pissed off more supporters than it pleased. They lads probably felt a bit daft as well as all eyes were on them for a good few minutes when realisticly they had done little wrong.

A sensible approach would have been to have a word with the boys in question before the match and advise that they wouldn't be able to use the drum until a suitable solution had been agreed.

A solution would be to allow them to remain in the far corner and request that people who don't wish to sit next to the drum move seats, there are plenty around.

Regardless of this it's still a shame that some folk view a bit of noise of atmosphere as a bad thing and feel the need to complain instead of simply moving seats. That sort of attitude from both supporters and board members is backwards IMO.

Is that who he plays for now?  Balances out Rory McAllister a bit at least.

Think so, aye. Well a guy scored against Colville Park in the 1st round who shared his name, and ran like he was holding a shinty stick, so I'd assume it was the same one.

Alright guys, finally got this working i am one of the boys who brought the drum to the games, just want to give you our account of the day, we were assisted into the ground with the drum by one of stewards who helped the drum in, then we went to our seats and attempted to put up a saltire (national flag) but weren’t allowed to incase we burn it? Odd one. However, we continued without argument, 5 minutes into the game the steward in question came to say she had to “take it” no explanation, a phone call followed to Alan Finlay who could only offer his sympathy but no compromise, half time arouse and me and 3 ours approached the stewards and questioned the stewards who were actually really helpful however the security officer chose to be aggressive in my opinion. Full time game we collected the drum from the front door, all information we have been given is the directors are planning a meeting with all parties involved, thanks for the support guys!

F4F7F8B5-9775-4B25-82CA-791FA03488D8.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Alright guys, finally got this working i am one of the boys who brought the drum to the games, just want to give you our account of the day, we were assisted into the ground with the drum by one of stewards who helped the drum in, then we went to our seats and attempted to put up a saltire (national flag) but weren’t allowed to incase we burn it? Odd one. However, we continued without argument, 5 minutes into the game the steward in question came to say she had to “take it” no explanation, a phone call followed to Alan Finlay who could only offer his sympathy but no compromise, half time arouse and me and 3 ours approached the stewards and questioned the stewards who were actually really helpful however the security officer chose to be aggressive in my opinion. Full time game we collected the drum from the front door, all information we have been given is the directors are planning a meeting with all parties involved, thanks for the support guys!

Fair play Robbie for making the effort to come on here and give us some detail.  'Champagne' Frank was obviously in full attack-dog mode last weekend and I personally think it was awful that a young female steward was forced to act as some sort of human shield for his unilateral decree.

I really hope you will stick with us and come to realise that the overwhelming instinct of the vast majority of Sons fans is to welcome anyone who wants to support the team and generate a bit of a racket into the bargain.  It will be sorted, of that I'm sure ;)

1 hour ago, Robbiem1872 said:

As OKI III says, I hope Saturday doesn't put you and your pals off coming along to The Rock. I've been watching Sons for just over 50 years and without support from a younger demographic like yourselves, there won't be a DFC in another 50 years time.

8 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

As OKI III says, I hope Saturday doesn't put you and your pals off coming along to The Rock. I've been watching Sons for just over 50 years and without support from a younger demographic like yourselves, there won't be a DFC in another 50 years time.

Yeah guys..get along to the rock...this WON'T  happen again i am sure.Some compromise will be reached.

If they are willing to confiscate a drum due to several complaints surely everyone who wants the drum to stay should contact the club and say how they enjoyed the atmosphere it created? If the people who like the drum outnumber those who complained then old Frank will have no choice