Sons' sorrow

Right Sons get it right up them.

I hate this lot ,honestly.Backed by a multi national company who want to cheat their way to the Welsh title

Access to European competition every year.

SD summed it up ,it’s like playing at pro soccer Rouken  Glen. Probably what it will be like if Sons move to Dalmoak

a fuckin nonsense team :unsure:

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Been at a few.

My favourite was v the Bankies at Kilbowie, where we were getting hammered, but came back to win thanks to a glorious hat-trick from Jim (McGinley I think).

#scenes

Quite enjoyed 1973 against East Stirlingshire. Think it was 6-0 or6-1 and Tom McAdam scored 4 or 5 of them.

I had a gander at the New Saints website and there's a distinct whiff of Gretna about it.  They carry more backroom staff than we have season ticket holders and they are full-time in a pretty modest league, suggesting that somebody is heavily weighing them in.  The site also carries an interview with their Manager after the draw was made and whilst he made all the right respectful noises, they definitely fancy themselves in this tie - apparently the bookies have installed them as favourites to lift the trophy.

One thing I did note, they play on an artificial pitch, and assuming Danny Handling is up and running by mid-February he might not fancy that.  There's a lot can happen between now and then but it's something to look forward to.

55 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I had a gander at the New Saints website and there's a distinct whiff of Gretna about it.  They carry more backroom staff than we have season ticket holders and they are full-time in a pretty modest league, suggesting that somebody is heavily weighing them in.  The site also carries an interview with their Manager after the draw was made and whilst he made all the right respectful noises, they definitely fancy themselves in this tie - apparently the bookies have installed them as favourites to lift the trophy.

One thing I did note, they play on an artificial pitch, and assuming Danny Handling is up and running by mid-February he might not fancy that.  There's a lot can happen between now and then but it's something to look forward to.

Aye. T.N.S, used to be Total Network Solutions, something happened with them & the initials stayed the same, becoming The New Saints. A manufactured Club, if you will.

Several teams in the Welsh set-up have been like this, Airbus 2000 had a team, even Connah's Quay have GAP (recruitment agency) before their name. Pretty sure there was 1 or 2 others also in the past.

T.N.S have funds which doesn't fit with their Welsh League status & low attendances , due to them competing in European competition most seasons. 

Pretty surreal situation to my thinking.

Edited by Silverton End

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Their owner piles money in every year just so they can play a qualification match in the Champions League, a complete play-thing. I think they're quite right to fancy themselves though, up against a part time side at home.  The upside for us is that they sit a point behind the truly woeful Connah's Quay Nomads in the league table, so they're probably not as good as we think.

On the point of Handling, do you know that he doesn't like playing on plastic pitches or are you just assuming based on his knee injury occurring at Kilmarnock? Given he's gone through an operation and is returning to fitness now, I would hope that by February he has been long up to speed and fully fit.

Edited by The Moonster

The BBC have just published their annual price of football study.

Price of Football 2017: Prices rise in three of four Scottish leagueshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41486226

Interesting to note, Montrose have a season ticket for £340. I don’t know what you get for that but it seems a lot

Despite the uproar about pricing,it seems that it is cheaper to follow the Sons than most of the other Championship teams.

Don't wish to get into a debate but it's worth noting the early bird season ticket price of 200 (the ones that were released in limited numbers whilst last season was still ongoing) is listed as the cheapest season ticket price.

Our matchday prices are actually above the league average in the BBC study.

The BBC have just published their annual price of football study.

Price of Football 2017: Prices rise in three of four Scottish leagueshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41486226

Interesting to note, Montrose have a season ticket for £340. I don’t know what you get for that but it seems a lot

The £340 season ticket includes entry to a lounge or something of that ilk, plus drink + food. Normal one is about £215 IIRC. Obviously not a Montrose supporter but frustrating when the BBC get simple stuff like this wrong.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I see Jim Lister has retired. He was brilliant for us and I expect he had the best season of his life that year!

There are few players I enjoyed watching more than Jim Lister during his season with us. The fact that it was a wonderful season, and he was the most unlikely of talismen made it all the best.

Anyway, when I saw your post it convinced me to write a wee tribute - so here we are: http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/jim-lister-the-unlikely-hero

19 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

There are few players I enjoyed watching more than Jim Lister during his season with us. The fact that it was a wonderful season, and he was the most unlikely of talismen made it all the best.

Anyway, when I saw your post it convinced me to write a wee tribute - so here we are: http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/jim-lister-the-unlikely-hero

That was a great read. I do remember the hilarity from some when we signed him on this thread's predecessor which probably didn't survive the cull sadly. 

8 hours ago, microdave said:

That was a great read. I do remember the hilarity from some when we signed him on this thread's predecessor which probably didn't survive the cull sadly. 

I remember playing it down saying "he'll just be back up if we can sign Prunty and Dargo". Dargo never arrived and the rest was Listory*.

*just made that up right there. Quite proud of that.

Cheers. Aye my plan was to have comments from on here in the intro, but unfortunately Div's book burning meant that was impossible.