Sons' sorrow

According to the ever reliable wikipedia, the last Dumbarton player to be capped (for Ireland) was Harry Chatton in the early 1930's. Link here

The last Scotland cap while at Dumbarton was William Thomson in 1898, again according to wiki, which is reasonably up to date as it was last edited in August.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That's great news for Froxy and great news for the club. It's a real shame he's injured and can't take part.

If he gets called up to the next squad I'm switching nationalities and going full Cypriot. Beard, hair, tan the lot.

If Scotland appoint Malky Mackay then I'll be Sonsteameuos of 08ios from now on.

13 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Shameless prostitution here but here's a nice wee vintage sons scarf for sale from season 1971/72

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dumbarton-football-club-1971-72-championship-winning-commerative-scarf/182889526756

I was at this Match. ( Highlights were on Sportsreel that night )

Really thought we were going to get Promotion. 

Unfortunately not.

The Sons deservedly won the Title the following week.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1971&GameID=197204290

I was at this Match. ( Highlights were on Sportsreel that night )
Really thought we were going to get Promotion. 
Unfortunately not.
The Sons deservedly won the Title the following week.
http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1971&GameID=197204290

I recall it very well indeed....Tommy Bryceland attempted to kick Charlie Gallagher all over Boghead, but in truth it was a poor performance from us.
Saints fans' euphoria was quickly dampened when news came through that Stirling had hammered Brechin 6-0 (I think) [emoji375][emoji375][emoji375][emoji375][emoji375][emoji375]

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I recall it very well indeed....Tommy Bryceland attempted to kick Charlie Gallagher all over Boghead, but in truth it was a poor performance from us.
Saints fans' euphoria was quickly dampened when news came through that Stirling had hammered Brechin 6-0 (I think) emoji375.pngemoji375.pngemoji375.pngemoji375.pngemoji375.pngemoji375.png

You're spot on OKIII. The Binos 6v0 win against Brechin moved them above Saints on goal difference, condemning the Mirren to another season in Division Two.   Set up the never-to-be-repeated showdown against Berwick on that memorable Wednesday 3rd May; defeat and we stayed down, a draw would see us promoted behind Arbroath as runners-up, victory and up as champions.  The rest as they say is history5a0603c899f66_default_smile1.png.cd499cd4b5e6550c0c7065e66500ed20.png.

Good to see Roy getting a run out at the weekend. Would like to see it continue and wouldn’t mind him being picked ahead of Walsh

Agree that Roy should keep his place. Would like to see him given a chance in the league as well as his pace could be a threat. I think we should keep Walsh through the middle. His 2 footed ness means he can roam to either side very comfortably. With Handling and Froxy coming back as well as Nade we have tones of options now. For the league I would like to see:-

S Gal
Wardrop, Dowie/Barr, Hill, Boomer
Carswell, Barr/Handling/Hutton/Wilson*
Froxylias, Walsh/Handling/Stewart, Roy
Nade/Stewart

*You could argue any of the 4 deserve a chance next to Carsy and could also be effective there too.

Roy’s Pace on the left could hopefully stop teams from have a ‘Stop Froxy, Stop Sons’ mentality which could allow Froxy a bit more time on the ball if he wasn’t being so heavily man marked.

Starting Nade obviously should be good and while Stewart really doesn’t deserve to be dropped his pace and work rate up top off the bench could be very useful.

Pretty excited to see what Handling has to offer tbh.

Agree that Roy should keep his place. Would like to see him given a chance in the league as well as his pace could be a threat. I think we should keep Walsh through the middle. His 2 footed ness means he can roam to either side very comfortably. With Handling and Froxy coming back as well as Nade we have tones of options now. For the league I would like to see:-

S Gal
Wardrop, Dowie/Barr, Hill, Boomer
Carswell, Barr/Handling/Hutton/Wilson*
Froxylias, Walsh/Handling/Stewart, Roy
Nade/Stewart

*You could argue any of the 4 deserve a chance next to Carsy and could also be effective there too.

Roy’s Pace on the left could hopefully stop teams from have a ‘Stop Froxy, Stop Sons’ mentality which could allow Froxy a bit more time on the ball if he wasn’t being so heavily man marked.

Starting Nade obviously should be good and while Stewart really doesn’t deserve to be dropped his pace and work rate up top off the bench could be very useful.

Pretty excited to see what Handling has to offer tbh.

Walsh annoys me because he has good feet and movement but his decision making needs work and he needs to get a bit tougher to be able to ride a tackle and put the foot in when defending.

From the weekend I would say Roy deserves to start in front of Walsh, he is direct and a genuine threat. Walsh is tidy and a good player but there isn’t that cutting edge for me.
Hutton has had a shakey start but I thought he was excellent on Saturday, maybe he’s coming onto a game and him and carswell May form a formidable partnership

20 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Does anyone know the date for the semi final btw? My Mrs is due soonish and don’t know if I would get away with a trip to Ireland/Wales. Boring that it may be I have my fingers crossed for a home tie lol

I believe it's about 17/18 of February - so you should be alright!