Sons' sorrow

I see your manager wasn't happy with your sides victory over Stranraer on Friday night. (https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/10/11/aitken-laments-lucky-dumbarton/)

Was the performance really that bad? I watched the highlights and thought yous looked not too bad but I suppose that's why they're highlights.

Great draw for the next round too. A good chance of reaching the semi-finals. All the Best in that regard!

9 hours ago, dafcburty said:

I see your manager wasn't happy with your sides victory over Stranraer on Friday night. (https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/10/11/aitken-laments-lucky-dumbarton/)

Was the performance really that bad? I watched the highlights and thought yous looked not too bad but I suppose that's why they're highlights.

Great draw for the next round too. A good chance of reaching the semi-finals. All the Best in that regard!

I was shocked at his honesty. Usually when we put in a performance like that Stevie would talk about the positives, he's big on confidence and motivation so is rarely negative in the press. I can only assume he felt the squad needed a kick up the arse, he is right in what he says about the game, first 20 minutes we could've had it sewn up but we scored and just stopped playing. His comment about "some players thinking they're better than they are" was interesting and I guess his team selection this weekend may tell us who he was talking about.

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I was shocked at his honesty. Usually when we put in a performance like that Stevie would talk about the positives, he's big on confidence and motivation so is rarely negative in the press. I can only assume he felt the squad needed a kick up the arse, he is right in what he says about the game, first 20 minutes we could've had it sewn up but we scored and just stopped playing. His comment about "some players thinking they're better than they are" was interesting and I guess his team selection this weekend may tell us who he was talking about.

Sorry if discussed already but was the match against Stranraer just a poor performance or was it verging on the Bonnyrigg debacle last year? As you say, a very interesting press conference following a win so clearly he isn't happy with something or someone in particular. 

From a Pars point of view, I hope it works and we get the benefits come 5pm on Saturday but with St Mirren also losing last weekend and Jack Ross unhappy with his side too, it'll be two very motivated and determined teams I suspect. 

5 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

Sorry if discussed already but was the match against Stranraer just a poor performance or was it verging on the Bonnyrigg debacle last year? As you say, a very interesting press conference following a win so clearly he isn't happy with something or someone in particular. 

From a Pars point of view, I hope it works and we get the benefits come 5pm on Saturday but with St Mirren also losing last weekend and Jack Ross unhappy with his side too, it'll be two very motivated and determined teams I suspect. 

It wasn't anywhere close to Bonnyrigg for me, I think after the first 20 minutes the team just felt they would canter to a win and went through the motions. I can see why that would annoy Aitken.

We enjoy taking points from St Mirren but it'll need a massive effort this time round IMO.

I wonder if its not aimed at Froxy too...

He was barely involved in the second half other than a wee bit of showboating and giving away some daft fouls (one of which lead to the goal opportunity)

He's a cracking player, but maybe only going forward.

3 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

I wonder if its not aimed at Froxy too...

He was barely involved in the second half other than a wee bit of showboating and giving away some daft fouls (one of which lead to the goal opportunity)

He's a cracking player, but maybe only going forward.

He needs to play basically in behind the striker so that his defensive side isn't called upon and his best talents can be used. But as long as Stewart is fit he'll play out wide.

The Scottish cup draw is tomorrow at 1745. Bound to be either Raith Rovers or Dunfermline since we play them the week before or after the 3rd round date. Or maybe QoS if we rearrange the game for the midweek either side of the 18th. At least Bonnyrigg Rose aren't there!

58 minutes ago, microdave said:

The Scottish cup draw is tomorrow at 1745. Bound to be either Raith Rovers or Dunfermline since we play them the week before or after the 3rd round date. Or maybe QoS if we rearrange the game for the midweek either side of the 18th. At least Bonnyrigg Rose aren't there!

Colville Park away! 

11 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Peterhead at home in the Scottish. Willie Gibson and Scott 'Meh' Brown returning. What a day.

Or not. We've now got Elgin. A team we haven't played since the glory days of Derek Carcary, Stevie Murray, Ross Clark and Denis McLaughlin.

Decent draw.

Just having a wee look at the statistics as it seems like we're conceding an awful lot of goals from dead balls. We've conceded 23 goals so far this season (league and cup) with 10 (43%) coming from set-plays. I've no idea how this relates to other teams, but I'd imagine it must be pretty high.

Clyde (2) - Corners
Falkirk (1) - Penalty (Stewart concession)
Queen of the South (1) - Corner
CQN (1) - Penalty (Carsy concession)
Dundee United (1) - Free-kick
Livingston (2) - Corner & Free-kick
Stranraer (1) - Corner
St Mirren (1) - Corner 

Dumbarton v Elgin City:Personal opinion but I see this as a poor draw for the City. Notwithstanding the fact that the Sons are not setting the heather on fire this season, the reasonable expectation is that we will get beaten by a team two leagues up.

At this stage of the Cup, teams at our level are usually looking for a team we could reasonably expect to beat at home(excluding shocks such as Lothian Thistle but that appears to be down to the goalie if the Binos fans are to be believed this morning and teams from the junior leagues such as Glens(Boness Utd beating us still lives in the memory) and then get one of the big boys in the 4th round.

So far this season we have been struggling to get a settled team and results have been indifferent with a win here and then losing at Berwick after going 2-0 up and then losing 3-2.

Hopefully our new manager,Gavin Price who was our assistant until Jim Weir left recently, provides continuity but we need to get some fire power up front and sort out the defensive frailties we appear to suffer from. The good news is that Shane Sutherland (our top scorer last season and SPFL Div 2 Player of the Year)is on his way back after a Crucial Ligament injury but when and how match fit he will be is not known.

Cannot see many City fans travelling for this one, just the usual culprits who travel to away games. 

Notwithstanding the fact that the Sons are not setting the heather on fire this season, the reasonable expectation is that we will get beaten by a team two leagues up.

We've finished the 1st quarter on 9 points and sit above Falkirk, Inverness and Brechin in the league. We're also into the quarter finals of the diddy cup.

There's defo some embers in the heather IMO.

Dumbarton v Elgin City:Personal opinion but I see this as a poor draw for the City. Notwithstanding the fact that the Sons are not setting the heather on fire this season, the reasonable expectation is that we will get beaten by a team two leagues up.
At this stage of the Cup, teams at our level are usually looking for a team we could reasonably expect to beat at home(excluding shocks such as Lothian Thistle but that appears to be down to the goalie if the Binos fans are to be believed this morning and teams from the junior leagues such as Glens(Boness Utd beating us still lives in the memory) and then get one of the big boys in the 4th round.
So far this season we have been struggling to get a settled team and results have been indifferent with a win here and then losing at Berwick after going 2-0 up and then losing 3-2.
 Hopefully our new manager,Gavin Price who was our assistant until Jim Weir left recently, provides continuity but we need to get some fire power up front and sort out the defensive frailties we appear to suffer from. The good news is that Shane Sutherland (our top scorer last season and SPFL Div 2 Player of the Year)is on his way back after a Crucial Ligament injury but when and how match fit he will be is not known.
Cannot see many City fans travelling for this one, just the usual culprits who travel to away games. 

Take your shitey Elgin woes to supporters that care wee sacks